Need help getting a horse to drink.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwest2u2

Reaction score
I have a 10 yr old gelding that coliced on Friday, he had an impaction. We made it through that, it finally broke on Sunday. The vet had to tube him 7 times. He started showing signs of ulcers, so we started him on treatment. He is eating well, but hasn't drank on his own. He is no longer showing the signs of the uclers, but we are still treating, and will treat for 10 days. We are keeping him in a stall by himself to make sure. Vet wanted to wait a day between tubings to see if we could get him to drink. We have tried water with gatorade in it. Any other ideas? We will have to tube him again today. I am at my witts end! We can't keep it up!
default_no.gif

Try electrolights

Last year when my little guy coliced the vet had us give him electrolights every day for about a week.

But i would definatly talk to your vet about him not wanting to drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will talk with her this am. We talk several times a day about him, he even went and spent the day with her on Monday while I was at work.

Try electrolightsLast year when my little guy coliced the vet had us give him electrolights every day for about a week.

But i would definatly talk to your vet about him not wanting to drink.

Does he have salt available to him? It is easy to forget they need salt when the weather is so hot to help them balance their systems, also makes them thirsty.

I would definitely give electrolites a try. We usually result in trying electrolites when they decide they are not going to drink enough liquids.

Yes, thanks for thinking of that, but he has a block and loose salt available. 1 bucket of water, and 1 with water and gatorade. We keep them fresh.

quote name='Anne ABC' date='Aug 19 2009, 06:59 AM' post='1222308']

Does he have salt available to him? It is easy to forget they need salt when the weather is so hot to help them balance their systems, also makes them thirsty.

You can place a salt block in the bottom of the feed bucket, either a piece of one or the rabbit sized ones, when he eats he'll have to move it around by mouthing it It will encourage drinking. Another great way to get water into them is to mix two to three parts water to one part pelleted feed and let it sit 5-10 minutes, it will be a thick mash(by all means, if you don't feed pelleted feed, don't start it now while he's already not drinking). You can soak his hay for 20-30 minutes, with luke warm water, drain off the water and feed that, hot water will steep out the flavor, cold water tends to absorb more slowly.

You can also buy powdered electrolytes you can add to his water feed stores carry them, you still need to offer a bucket of plain water too. Gatorade works well also, my horses go crazy over the orange flavor.

I am sure there are other methods of incorperating fluid into his diet. Don't forget about good ol' grass grazing, esp.in the AM, before the sun draws out some of the moisture.

These are the things I have found to work the best for me.

Good luck,

There is a powder called StressX that you mix with water. My neighbor with foaling farm had me start using it when we had a mare colic. Once its mixed carefully syringe some into their mouth. They will for sure drink after that as its full of electrolytes, salt, vitamins etc. I thought we were going to lose our mare and after we did that she made a total turn around.

Can this horse get out of his stall? I wouldn't stall a horse who has been coliced. He needs to be moving around in my humble opinion. I know many of mine seem to prefer the water troff outside vs their stall buckets. I agree to add water to his feed and hay also should help hydrate him. Good luck. Hopeing for a speedy recovery.

Can this horse get out of his stall? I wouldn't stall a horse who has been coliced. He needs to be moving around in my humble opinion. I know many of mine seem to prefer the water troff outside vs their stall buckets. I agree to add water to his feed and hay also should help hydrate him. Good luck. Hopeing for a speedy recovery.
Yes he is walked several times a day and then we turn him out in the yard to eat grass for 15 min. He also gets about 2 hrs with the filly's, but we still have not seen him drink and today he is very dehydrated looking. He hay is soaked in water before feeding, but he usually doesn't want to eat it. But if we put in non soaked hay he cleans it right up. His salt block is in the feeder and the loose is in a seperate feeder.

I was going to suggest the things CarolynR suggested. We've used all of those ideas and they do work...maybe not all with all horses, but some of them seem to work with every horse.

Just my experience with electrolytes and an ulcer horse is that the electrolytes can seem to make the ulcer pain worse. So it's a catch 22. I'd sure try to make sure that whatever he eats has water in it. I have pretty good luck with alfalfa cubes soaked till they won't absorbe any more...then, if the horse isn't used to wet feed, I pour off the water and feed the wet alfalfa. So far I have never had a horse refuse soaked alfalfa unless the ulcer pain was really bad.

Was your colic from an impaction or from ulcer pain? Most bad ulcers I've dealt with the horse wouldn't drink either so controling the pain had to be done first. I assume he is on ulcer meds now. Ask your vet for some sucralfate to give for a few days. It coats the ulcer and eases the pain some for the horse so that they will start to eat and drink better.

I have also been told to give very low doses of Banamine as needed to control pain to get the horse eating and drinking. Banamine will aggravate the ulcers so wean them off as soon as possible but they MUST eat and drink so if the horse is on Ulcergurad or Gastroguard you might ask your vet about that. That was kind of a last ditch effort with a horse that wasn't going to make it unless we could get him eating and drinking.

Good luck with your fellow. Please let us know how he gets along on whatever his treatment plan is.

thank you

Charlotte

What I have done many a time after a bout of colic or other illness that puts them off is dissolve a pelleted fee (equine senior works absolutely the best) in warm water...small amount of feed, lots of water. If they are interested in food they end up drinking the flavored water to get at the little bit of slurry at the bottom. Pellet soup I call it, used it first on the recommendation of Vets at the university for a horse with hyperlipemia. Have used it ever since post colic to get and keep them hydrated during recovery.

I am talking about a cup of equine senior in a gallon or more of water.

if he truly has ulcers, it takes 45 days to completely get them over it. takes that long for the stomach lining to heal and grow new lining, ulcers dont go away in a couple days, maybe the acidity in the stomach has lowered, but they have not went away. About drinking- I always add water to my horses feed. some get a cup some get 4 cups, just depends on how much they normally drink daily. at least you would know he is getting something. But you have an underlying problem your vet is not seeing. you might need to visit another vet. Oh, just a thought, is there any possible way your horse can get his head out of his stall and drink out of the other horses bucket? my horses would rather drink out of someone elses bucket than their own, also Duke likes to drink out of the community bucket outside when he goes out. change your plastic bucket to a rubber bucket or put a small trough in the stall. just change up his water bucket, sometimes that helps, cause for some reason he doesnt like what he has. good luck

forgot to add, Charlotte is right, banamine is the worse thing you can give a horse with ulcers. to get control of the acidity, vet gave a huge bottle of Carafate, had to give 12cc right before feeding each day, lasted a long time. working out is totally ruled out, when a horse is exercised / worked out for the show ring is a big no-no too. when a horse is exercised, it increases the acidity in the stomach which inflames the ulcers. My vet gave me ulcerguard to use too. if you get this, there are notches on the tube. I only give 2 notches, seems very little but this stuff is really potent and works good.

the best thing is to turn out on the yuckiest weeded area, the yucky roughage is the best thing for the ulcers, or a really dried grass, not lush green pastures. so the more crappy stuff in the gut the better, ruined my 2yo gelding for a bit with the show ring, but we hand walk now up n down the hill and he can only stand in his sweats for 2-3 hours to sweat his neck.

oh yeah, other than yucky weeds, alfalfa is great too, or cubes. it has calcium in it and helps with the ulcers. when I haul al over the country to the shows, I used to fed free choice grass hay, they say that is not good, but to feed alfalfa instead because if the horse is feeling any stress, the calcium is the best thing for the lining of the stomach.

for water suggestions, i have tried hundreds of other things too. I have let baby carrots float in the water for about an hour, the horse will play with them and get water intake, cut up apples work too. I get the peppermint candies from all the Sonics I visit on the road, so sometimes I will throw a peppermint candy in it too, but take it out about 15 minutes later. some horses like it some dont, heard of gatorade, but never tried it either.

but if he is getting dehydrated, the vet will need to run fluids thru him until he potty's, and then one more bottle after that. but make sure he is not, cause his body organs will shut down on you if not taken care of

Ditto on Stormy's comment - I mix some pellets with a lot of water to make almost a "soup" for them to drink.

You're getting some really good advice here!

Liz R.

Thank you everyone, I will be talking with my vet in the next 30 min. I will discuss all the info you have told me. He did have an impaction, it was the worst I have ever seen. In fact I have never seen a large horse pull through one so bac. And yes I have seen more than I ever wanted to. (We use to do rescues) I know the ucler is not gone, but the bad symptons have subsided, he is on medication from the vet and also getting ove the counter meds 2X a day per the vet. He will be going out with the filly's again in a few minute. We have to wait until the are done eating to turn him out with them. He was gelded late in life so we felt it would help perk him up some. He can't come in contact with any other horses when he is in his stall we we make sure and get him out serveral times a day.

Thanks so much everyone for your help.

i added some more to my previous post, hope you saw it.

the filly? I hope they are not runing around and playing. this aggrevates the ulcers when they run around. had to take my yearling away from my two yr old, they played too much.

I also have a mare that WON'T drink in a stall!

Best of luck to the OP, it sounds like your little guy is very sick
default_no.gif

I hate to even mention this but after a long colic like yours had with no nutrition going in you should have your vet check for hyperlipemia. I have had a couple cases over the years and neither would drink and would eat only in nibbles....mostly only green grass or very leafy alfalfa.

Up DATE he drank a little out of the trough. Now we are going back to the vets. He decided to kick the panel at the horse on the otherside and cut his leg! @#$&$**## I don't think he will need stitches, but she needs to look at it. We had decided it was best to leave him out and yes he is going to get electrolites today. I am so glad he is not my show gelding, this is bad enough. But Toast is my best friend and I couldn't take all this drama. She said she does not want to tube him anymore if we can keep from it. But it is suppose to be record breaking heat wave here today.So she said to leave him with her so she can monitor him and step in faster if he needs help. So back we go again.
default_no.gif

We put apple juice in the water to flavor it or even molasses. We have had good luck with that when we have one that isnt drinking what he/she should. Good luck

Julie Flanigan

Victory Pass Stables

Maine

Back