Need help getting a horse to drink.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, I hope he didnt injure his leg badly. Sounds like he is active and feeling ok, but I agree with the electrolytes and they help increase their desire to drink.

I would also try a different water bucket. I have a couple that my horses hate and refuse to drink from unless they have to, and some they just guzzle down... Dont know why, but have seen that occasionally.

Keep us posted on your little guy and hope he is doing better!

On another horsey forum I frequent, making a 'tea' of molasses-flavored water was both suggested and endorsed by several who'd tried it...one way to make it might be to drain the 'soak' water off of some beet pulp...I've recently only been able to get beet pulp pellets that have molasses. Since I'd rather NOT have the molasses, I've been draining off the 'first' soak water and re-adding more water before feeding. The drained off water is dark and definitely 'molasses-y', and might tempt your horse to drink. You could also try feeding some REALLY 'soupy' soaked beet pulp; all of my horses love it, and it is a great way to keep up a good level of hydration.

You wouldn't want to offer ONLY molasses-water to drink; that might mean too much of the 'sugars'--but in this situation, it might not hurt to try offering it to help get the horse back to proper hydration.

Good luck,

Margo

Do you think your water has a different taste than usual? More chlorine or other additives? Yes, changing out the water bucket may help, I had one the other day who was not drinking much and I gave him a different water bucket and he started drinking again.....Weird I know.

Instead of Gator aid,try smart water.It has the electrolytes and no flavor. I think it would be cheaper to get the electrolytes from the feed store in a packet to mix in his drinking water. I think you have to change the unused water every day though. I think it is packaged for cattle but electrolytes are electrolytes. That way his water won't taste funny to him.

I've sprinkled loose salt over pellets/grain about a teaspon to help make them thirsty. I also use soaked beet pulp and make it really soupy with their grain.

Good luck, lots of good suggestions here!

Im going to let the others help you here but this is a great topic with lots of good ideas. I just wanted to say that I absolutly love the name TOAST...when Toast is better I would love to know how he got the name. Wishing for a speedy recovery!!

Heidi

Great suggestions already. I would add that you can add water to any feed - even just oats - to get H20 into their system

Another way to get fluids into them that I've used with colics is to use a 1 liter PLASTIC pop bottle, fill with lukewarm water. Insert the top into the loose fold of their cheek and gently tip up their head and the bottle and let it flow a little at a time. Don't hold their jaw because then they can't swallow. That gets water into their system.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back