Need help deciding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a stallion if he was the right height, temperament, registeration, build, gorgous, and

• Yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
i need help deciding whether to purchase this stallion or not. He's absolutely gorgeous, friendly, minimal pinto, 27" at 2yrs old, refined arabian like build, and has good bloodlines, but he's only minimal pinto? eventually, when i breed him with my mares, i'd like to get pinto babies so i was looking for a full pinto but found him instead. what would you guys do?
unsure.gif
wacko.gif

he almost looks like he stepped out of a fairytail. hes beautiful dappled grey with great conformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
i need help deciding whether to purchase this stallion or not. He's absolutely gorgeous, friendly, minimal pinto, 27" at 2yrs old, refined arabian like build, and has good bloodlines, but he's only minimal pinto? eventually, when i breed him with my mares, i'd like to get pinto babies so i was looking for a full pinto but found him instead. what would you guys do?
unsure.gif
wacko.gif

he almost looks like he stepped out of a fairytail. hes beautiful dappled grey with great conformation.

My minimal pinto stallion has produced all amounts of pinto from minimal to maximum. But obviously it depends on whether this stallion is homozygous for pinto, mine is.

loud pinto does not always make loud pinto sometimes those minimal horses really produce alot of color unless of course you have a homozygous horse for pinto

Well, we are also breeding for pintos and we DID buy a heterozygous for tobiano, fairly minimal pinto stallion a lot like the one you describe. But that doesn't mean that our stallion would be right for YOUR program or even that this decision would make sense for you. And didn't you just buy a stallion? How minimal pinto and which pattern is this one? That would make a difference in what you could expect from him. Also, what pattern(s)are your mares? You sure don't want to breed LWO+ to LWO+.

Our tobiano stallion (who is LWO- and carries splash) will not always give us pinto babies, but we have selcted our pinto mares very carefully so that if the foals are solid color, we think we will find a market for them anyway.

Good luck with your breeding program.

Well, we are also breeding for pintos and we DID buy a heterozygous for tobiano, fairly minimal pinto stallion a lot like the one you describe. But that doesn't mean that our stallion would be right for YOUR program or even that this decision would make sense for you. And didn't you just buy a stallion? How minimal pinto and which pattern is this one? That would make a difference in what you could expect from him. Also, what pattern(s)are your mares? You sure don't want to breed LWO+ to LWO+.

Our tobiano stallion (who is LWO- and carries splash) will not always give us pinto babies, but we have selcted our pinto mares very carefully so that if the foals are solid color, we think we will find a market for them anyway.

Good luck with your breeding program.

i THOUGHT we had a stallion, unfourtunatly they decided to ignore our phone calls and emails. i'm extremely dissapointed
sad.gif
i really liked that stallion. i almost just gave up but my mom said "we've already got the stall ready and the fence is back up so you better find something!"
laugh.gif
none of my mares are pinto, but i did want a stallion thats pinto. he's very minimal, maybe tobiano?

I'm a firm believer that all things happen for a reason whether I understand them or not.

Maybe this is YOUR sign that your not ready to own a stallion at this juncture. Especially, since this is not the first time that you've encountered this type of situation. Therefore, under the circumstances I'd respectfully hold off on any purchases until you've made a sound/rational decision on what your searching for ultimately.

Just my personal opinion.... and it's not meant to offened anybody.

I'm a firm believer that all things happen for a reason whether I understand them or not.

Maybe this is YOUR sign that your not ready to own a stallion at this juncture. Especially, since this is not the first time that you've encountered this type of situation. Therefore, under the circumstances I'd respectfully hold off on any purchases until you've made a sound/rational decision on what your searching for ultimately.

Just my personal opinion.... and it's not meant to offened anybody.

this lady is known for being very hard to contact so, although i am upset, i'm not all that surprised. and this was 1 time, so what does fate have to do with it? why does it seem that everyone on this forum is so against me getting a stallion? is it because of my age? because i dont show at nationals? why? i've decided i'm not breeding my mare until she's 4 and i'm 18 so he'll just be showing unless i stand him at stud, so WHY is everyone critisizing me for getting a stud?

and i feel getting this stud IS sound/rational. he's beautiful and his grandfather/ great-grandfather/ etc are grand and national champions, so hes not a crap horse.

ETA: here is his pedigree with a pic of him: www.allbreedpedigree.com/tiz+2+mr+big+stuff

It kind of depends…. When I was looking for a stallion I looked for one that I was absolutely in love with before I bought it. I loved his conformation, color, bloodlines….everything. I think for me anyway it has to be that way or when the "new" wears off in a few months I don't want to regret what I bought. If that's how you feel about this horse than go for it, and good luck. It sounds as if you like him a lot
default_wub.png

Just make the right decision on your stallion, get one you ABOSOLUTLY need, don't get him just for his color..if you don't like his conformation, dont get him..get what I mean? Get the one you can't live without not the one you can settle for just because hes in your price range etc..

Happy Thoughts, you will find that perfect stallion!
default_aktion033.gif

PS ON THE CLEAR BROOK STALLION...SHE WILL CONTACT YOU BACK I THINK THEY ARE AT A SHOW THIS WEEKEND SO CHIN UP!
default_yes.gif

I think you should go out and see the horse in person (if you havn't already) and if you have any doubt that this isn't the PERFECT stallion for you then hold off. Personally, I think you'll know when you've found what you're looking for...if you keep going back and forth between yes and no then I'd hold off. Other horses will come around, and if it's meant to be then it's meant to be. Oh, and I honestly don't think anyone is going against you getting a stallion. When you go online to get advice you have to expect some things to be taken out of context. Just throwing my two cents in there.

It kind of depends…. When I was looking for a stallion I looked for one that I was absolutely in love with before I bought it. I loved his conformation, color, bloodlines….everything. I think for me anyway it has to be that way or when the "new" wears off in a few months I don't want to regret what I bought. If that's how you feel about this horse than go for it, and good luck. It sounds as if you like him a lot
wub.gif

i do like him alot, he looks like a mini lipizzaner(my second favorite breed, minis being the first
wub.gif
). i was just wondering if he could produce pintos since hes an extreme minimal. he doesn't have to, but it would be a HUGE bonus!

Just make the right decision on your stallion, get one you ABOSOLUTLY need, don't get him just for his color..if you don't like his conformation, dont get him..get what I mean? Get the one you can't live without not the one you can settle for just because hes in your price range etc..

Happy Thoughts, you will find that perfect stallion!
aktion033.gif

PS ON THE CLEAR BROOK STALLION...SHE WILL CONTACT YOU BACK I THINK THEY ARE AT A SHOW THIS WEEKEND SO CHIN UP!
yes.gif

i thought that at first too, but then her husband answered the phone and said she would call me. she never did
sad.gif

Hi - I just looked at your potential stallion's pedigree and thought you might like a bit of extra info?

I owned his maternal G/Sire from 1992 until his death in 2005 - he was my first mini stallion and my best friend for those years he was with me. He was actually bred by the late Leonard Stenning of the Tyros stud here in the UK and was later sold to the Toyhorse Stud, which is where I purchased him from. Quite a few of his offspring made their way to the USA and Europe during the years he was with the Toyhorse Stud. For myself, his 15 year old daughter has just foaled me a huge bay colt with a white blaze (Rowdy lookalike LOL!!) by my American imported stallion Dragon, while HER daughter foaled two days ago, giving me a gorgeous little black filly by my Falabella Stallion.

Tyrospot Patch was a spotted (blanket) stallion, the spots coming down his sire's side of his pedigree. His dam Orcop Pixie was a miniature British Shetland, as was all her breeding - so was Birling Nimble (full name should be Birling Nimble Number to be correct). I do not know the colour of your boy's mother nor of her dam, but am wondering how you feel about having a spotted stallion as a G/parent if you are wanting to breed pintos?

Wishing you good luck whatever you choose to do, if you really like this young stallion then go for it - he might just throw you some interesting colours, even if they are not quite what you expect LOL!!

Anna

I don't feel that people here are against you get a stallion or any horse for that matter, however they want you to get the right horse. Since I've been back here I have seen your heart set on FOUR ultimate colts. I think you really need to reflect on what you want, there are many nice horses out there - the key is finding the right one for you.

It has taken me many years to find the right horses. And personally, I love my mares and geldings. I used to be a huge stallion fan, but over the years I have grown to prefer my mares and gelding much more. I use out side stallions personally, even though I have my own stallion, as I am able to find better stallions to cross to my mares. But hey, my life and just my opinion - do whatever you want.

When looking for a horse, I have what I want in my head. What I want and what I get aren't always the same. Somewhere along the way I usually decide horse a is what I said I wanted, but horse b has many attributes that far outweigh horse a. It may not be the color, pattern, pedigree, exact hieght, or price range I was hoping for, but it far outweighs horse A.

It all comes down to what attributes you will not bend on and what you are willing to overlook in order to attain an animal that may be of higher quality.

What matters to me most, double registered, between 30" and 33" (willing to go smaller for a stallion) balanced and correct, and must have the WOW factor.

never mind, it was non-productive

Latest posts

Back