Need color advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne ABC

Reaction score
This is a horse we bought as a yearling Palomino. In the past six months he has become much darker in color and now is exhibiting these black spots on his sides and hips. I have never seen this before and am not familiar with the dilute colors so thought I would ask for some opinions. His sire is a black pinto from a black pinto and a palomino and his dam is grey from a Chestnut and a dun. Any ideas?

Chancespots3-1.jpg

Chancespots2.jpg

His sire must be a "Smokey Black" (black with cream gene) to have sired a Palomino.

And those dark spots are common on Palominos & Chestnuts.
default_yes.gif
: They are called "smuts" or "Bend Or spots".

It is genetically impossible to get a grey foal from parents that are chestnut and dun.

His dam might have been silver dapple from a silver bay and dun.

She could have also carried the creme gene (silver & creme & black) and passed it to this foal in the form of palomino.

The black spots are "bend or" spots....and he has REALLY got some big ones!

O.K. here is a photo of his sire (the only one I have)color not to good

TalkoftheTown-1.jpg

and this is his grandsire on his sires side

MartinsDealersChoice.jpg

I do not have any photos of the dams side

"His sire is a black pinto from a black pinto and a palomino and his dam is grey from a Chestnut and a dun."

The sire is definitely a Black pinto....but to sire a Palomino, he must also carry the cream gene (probably gotten from his dam) which would make him a Smokey Black.

Smokey Blacks usually look no different from a regular black....so it's hard to tell if they carry the cream gene, unless they sire/produce a Palomino or Buckskin or other cream dilute color....which this guy has done.
default_yes.gif
:

The "gray" dam could have been a Silver Dapple or a "true" Gray. Even tho her parents are listed as Chestnut & Dun, they could have "grayed out" later.....or one could have actually been a Silver Chestnut or a Silver Dun. (as Lauralee mentioned)

Latest posts

Back