Need Clipping Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniluv777

Reaction score
I bought my first mini last winter. She is two now. She has shed out really well but needs some clipping on her legs and head. I have been able to clip her neck and body but not her lower legs or face. She moves around too much. Any suggestions? I am the first person to ever clip her. I am loving her and am wondering if she might be good enough to show. Her sire was Ramakers SMW Blu Jay.

Be sure they are really clean. I use scissors to cut the feathers off as they are hard to clip. If you have a 2 speed clipper set it to low as it wont vibrate on the leg so badly. You can go slow and just keep putting the clippers on her leg until she learns to stop moving (never stop when shes moving or you are teaching her to move) Or you can twitch her while you clip her legs. Usually you only have to twitch a couple times and they learn the clipper on the leg wont hurt them. Always be sure the blades are not hot!

Be sure they are really clean. I use scissors to cut the feathers off as they are hard to clip. If you have a 2 speed clipper set it to low as it wont vibrate on the leg so badly. You can go slow and just keep putting the clippers on her leg until she learns to stop moving (never stop when shes moving or you are teaching her to move) Or you can twitch her while you clip her legs. Usually you only have to twitch a couple times and they learn the clipper on the leg wont hurt them. Always be sure the blades are not hot!

Patience, patience, and then some more patience!!!
biggrin.gif

I'd also recommend spending time daily to desensitize her to the clipper noise and feel. It takes longer to do it that way, so don't try to do it with a deadline in mind. Some people use a twitch to get those last places done.

If you know someone who has experience clipping, I'd see if you can't get them to come show you how to do it. I put a "wanted" ad on Craig's list last year and met a wonderful lady who clipped our weanling for us. It cost me $$$ but it was worth it.

Will she standquietly to be groomed in the areas you plan to clip? If not, put off clipping until she learns to stand there and be groomed. You will save yourself a lot of irritation.

Does not hurt them, put a clip on their top lip..

Makes it easier for you and the horse.

No one gets hurt...
default_saludando.gif

I have a friend that shows Clysdales all over the world. If she has one that doesn't want their ears, legs, etc. clipped she works a little each day on them. BUT she doesn't use her clippers to desensitize them - she uses a old battery toothbrush!
default_laugh.png
She says it is easier to hide in her pocket at first, it still makes noise, smaller than a blade to work on the ears especially - and since it is so small and no cord she can have it in her pocket each day when she goes out to feed/groom etc. Just another idea!

I have a friend that shows Clysdales all over the world. If she has one that doesn't want their ears, legs, etc. clipped she works a little each day on them. BUT she doesn't use her clippers to desensitize them - she uses a old battery toothbrush!
default_laugh.png
She says it is easier to hide in her pocket at first, it still makes noise, smaller than a blade to work on the ears especially - and since it is so small and no cord she can have it in her pocket each day when she goes out to feed/groom etc. Just another idea!
You know I would have never thought of that and it is actually a pretty good idea. Thanks for sharing!

default_laugh.png
That's a really awesome idea! I'll have to try that out sometime!

Latest posts

Back