Need advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

journey

Reaction score
The neighbors that live behind me have children that range from 10-14 there are 4 of them. I have told them and their parents more than once to please not feed Harley. They give him Sugar Cubes and Sugar makes him hyper and mean. I am tired of asking them to stop. We are looking for a new house with more land and no neighbors, but until then, how do I nicely get these people to quit feeding Harley? I have even told them he bites, which he use to until he got use to us and now he just nips when he wants attention, I put a sign up on the fence and everything. I am at my witts end. Sasha will not go to strangers at all, but Harley will. They are as different as night and day.

Any advice would be appriciated.

None of the ideas I can think of would be very friendly. Get a dog or an obnoxious goat or put a hot wire along the fence line.

I used to worry about just this situation when we moved here (we're next to a "country style" suburb) but so far so good. Except for one problem with a loose dog.

Well I had this issue to but finaly I sat my neighbours down and told them what it does to poor Roy. I would say try this *enless u have already* or put electric fence on that side of the fence so the horses wont go near. Maybe even put a NO TRESSPASSING SIGN.....its worth a try!Good Luck!

Had the same problem.

I explain why my horses were on a certain diet.

Put up a sign that says, , , Security Camera In Use

Caught them one more time, then it stopped. They believe my signs to be true.

One Ritz-C-Kid said:
Well I had this issue to but finaly I sat my neighbours down and told them what it does to poor Roy. I would say try this *enless u have already* or put electric fence on that side of the fence so the horses wont go near. Maybe even put a NO TRESSPASSING SIGN.....its worth a try!Good Luck!
505228[/snapback]

I have already. I told them that it makes Harley mean and that I was worried it would make him sick. I guess we have no other choice than to put up an electric fence, as much as I didn't want to. My dog barking at them does not stop them. I don't want the dog to bite the kids, because then he will bite my kids. We just want him to keep away preditiors like coyotes and other dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think kids just cant help it. I was the same way as a kid and had to pet or pick grass for every pony i could touch. Maybe put your hotwire about a foot from the fence so Harley isnt tempted by the treats. That way you keep the peace without causing any hard feelings.

I had a problem with my neighbour and it use to drive me nuts. Finally I pulled my horse out of the paddock and stalled him for the day. Phoned the neighbours and pretended that he was sick, the vet was on his way and I needed to know what they fed him? It was a white lie of course, but I also warned them that the next vet bill would be theirs! I would also have to report them if it simply did not stop. In a nice and mannerly but firm tone!

Then I suggested that when they DID want to feed him that all they had to do was call and let me know. I would happily supply them with healthy treats that would not make him ill or rot his teeth.

Hopefully one of the suggestions will work for you. Neighbours!

wacko.gif

Scare them. Tell them you took him to the vet and found out that he is deathly alergic to many many things. He can only eat docter approved feeds, and it will hurt him if they feed him anything that isn't on his schedule. Make up a bunch of garbage. As long as they don't take you to court, lie. Also, just in case, I'd look up your state's equine liability laws. This is such an important sign. It has saved my family from losing everything due to someone wanting to hop on my mini, someone wanting to feed our mean TB, etc, etc. It's a lovely sign that says baisicly, if you are injured in any equine activity, you can't sue me. I'd invest in one, and put it near where they are feeding. get 2 or 3 and put them in visable spots around your barn/whatever. That way if he does get mean over sugar, you won't get in trouble, and any touch at your own risk sign frightens some ppl away.

Sondra said:
I really think kids just cant help it. I was the same way as a kid and had to pet or pick grass for every pony i could touch. Maybe put your hotwire about a foot from the fence so Harley isnt tempted by the treats. That way you keep the peace without causing any hard feelings.
505242[/snapback]

I know it isn't the kids fault, but I have talked to mom and dad both. She told me that she had bought a whole box of sugar cubes for the kids to feed to my horse. I asked her not to let them do it because Harley was on a set diet and that the sugar makes him mean. To no avail, they have been at the fence this morning already and I have been out there to chase them away. I have a newborn baby in the house with me and I can't keep running out there in the cold to keep them away from my horse babies. I just hate to be mean. It is just not me.

I am so glad that Sasha does not care for strangers at the fence.

I would tell them that you had some tests done and you found out that the horse is DIABETIC. We call it insulin resistant, but everyone knows that diabetics can't have sugar. Ask them for the remainder of the sugar and suggest or give them some healthier treats like little carrots or something. Good Luck.

I unfortunately had to do this at the place that I board, but unfortunately one of my horses is insulin resistant and on a very restricted diet. Thankfully with the sign up all is well. I also keep his good treats (or try to keep them) in the refrigerator at the barn so if someone feels the need they can go ahead and feed them.

journey said:
The neighbors that live behind me have children that range from 10-14 there are 4 of them. I have told them and their parents more than once to please not feed Harley. They give him Sugar Cubes and Sugar makes him hyper and mean. I am tired of asking them to stop. We are looking for a new house with more land and no neighbors, but until then, how do I nicely get these people to quit feeding Harley? I have even told them he bites, which he use to until he got use to us and now he just nips when he wants attention, I put a sign up on the fence and everything. I am at my witts end. Sasha will not go to strangers at all, but Harley will. They are as different as night and day.
Any advice would be appriciated.

505224[/snapback]

It is time to get MEAN!!Tell the mother she has had her last warning.When you get up during the night to feed your baby call her on the phone&tell her the kids were feeding your horse again.After a few times of that she probably will get more firm&serious with her kids.Also tell her you don't feed her kids JUNK so they shouldn't feed your KIDS junk.Sometimes you just have to get mean.Also tell the kids if they continue to feed your horse he will probably get sick&could die&it might be their fault.

is there a chance you could re-direct their behavior by sending over say... two bags of carrots and telling them to make the bags last two weeks? That he is only allowed to have carrots, that is all and only one bag a week, making each bag last a week?

another thing that might make them more cautious is to tell them (like other said to scare them) that the horse is worth $X amount.. granted you can make it up..but MANY MANY people are shocked when they find out what even cheap horses cost now a days ($1500 and up)...that THEY will be responsible for all vet bills incured and/or the price of the horse should it die. i'd also tell them you will be contacting the local authorities and telling them whatis going on and that you will be pressing charges. I know it's hard to be mean..i hate doing it too..but you have very good reasons for asking them not to.. they do not listen..time to get mean!

hehei do like the idea for calling the woman in the middle of the night! lol.

ahh yes..one more thought..invite the children over..and fill THEM full of candy, chips, soda ect every time you see them. the mother might get the idea once her kids come back on sugar highs all the time and mentions it to you..just say "that's what your doing to my pony"

Last edited by a moderator:
We've delt with this before.. and the sad truth it actually killed a foal we had..

This is what we did..[ unforetunately after the foal died ]

Talk to your vet, most are more than willing.. ours was. Get them to write a breif letter about the affects of over feeding treats, etc outside of a normal daily diet. Also a breif estimate on the cost of surgery for something like Colic, and remedies for allergic reactions.

We sent a letter of our own plus our vets explaining the cost and ramifications of injury or illness to the horse..

THEY actually posted a second fence to keep their kids back.

Krickette said:
Make up a bunch of garbage. As long as they don't take you to court, lie. Also, just in case, I'd look up your state's equine liability laws.
505248[/snapback]

ohmy.gif
WHAT THE!!!!! I can't believe that someone can sue over you telling them a 'little white lie' to stop them from feeding YOUR horse. In that case...........why don't YOU take them to court for FEEDING THEM when you've asked them not too!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE, the things people sue over....it's so SAD
no.gif

Nicole

Try taking them over the treats you would like for him to eat--baby carrots, dried apples, or other things. They probably mean well but don't know any better. Maybe they will turn into responsible mini horse owners someday!

Marsha

Latest posts

Back