need advice!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelspeeper

Reaction score
I'm ready to strangle my two yr old filly. Walked out to the pasture today only to catch her in the act of chewing off my geldings tail!!!! (She chewed it almost completely off, just a handful of hairs are left past the dock!) How do I stop this behavior? What causes it, and how do I get said tail to grow back quickly? I need it to grow quick as we have a show in three weeks!! I know it won't be great, but at least make it look somewhat decent. (if that's even possible)

any advise out there?

You are not going to be able to get much tail growth in 3 weeks. I'd be looking into hair extensions if it is allowed in your show. I'd also be very concerned about your 2 year old. If she is swallowing that hair, she is a candidate for impaction colic. Watch her closely for food and water intake. Crazy horses, they are always doing something to drive us mad.

You are not going to be able to get much tail growth in 3 weeks. I'd be looking into hair extensions if it is allowed in your show. I'd also be very concerned about your 2 year old. If she is swallowing that hair, she is a candidate for impaction colic. Watch her closely for food and water intake. Crazy horses, they are always doing something to drive us mad.

Maybe put some cayenne pepper or hot sauce in the tail hairs that are left. the two year old wont want to eat it again after she tastes that. (be careful not to put it on the skin of the dock or it might irritate the horse and make things worse).

I'm sure others will have experience with this type of thing.

Well it wont grow back in 3 weeks sorry to say
default_no.gif
Some friends told me to use M-T-G (Mane and Tail growth) "hard to work with. smells but works wonders" You could try that! My colt ripped one of my geldings mane down to nothing! He had the most beautiful full blowing mane about 15" long! Now it's about 4"!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

The two yr old didn't swallow any...(I think) as there was a huge pile of tail hair laying on the ground. It looked like she had gotten mad at him and just started chewing his tail off as a punishment. He is the low dog on the totem pole in the herd, and she is the queen. Unfortunately, I only have three horses right now, so separating them really isn't an option. I don't want to isolate one of them just to control this issue. But it definitely need to stop!

Hair extensions are NOT allowed in AMHA...as far as I am aware, so he will have to go with a pathetic tail. I know three weeks isn't much time to grow it back in, but I was thinking over the course of the show season. That way when Regionals and World come around his tail would be back to normal...well almost normal. I know it won't be touching the ground like it was, but at least respectable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put a grazing muzzle on the filly asap or before you know it the rest of the tail will be gone.
default_no.gif

We have used cayenne pepper (used gel or vasoline) to put it on or rap blast spray (SUPER strong). I have also heard of people using conditioner that tastes bitter. The hair will take a while to grow back. I had it happen to one of my show horses. I showed her anyways. She still did fine.

Always makes me cringe to see those beautiful tails chewed off! It will take a year to really grow it back, at least, but MTG should help speed the process. I would try cayenne pepper as described on what's left of the tail hair - or muzzle the offender. I bought a little mare years ago who wound up in colic surgery a year or so later, vet said she had basically an enterolith (he called it by another name) made up of sand and tail hair. I never saw her chew tails here, so it's something she did as a baby and the hair just stayed in her gut. Not to worry you, but I'd sure keep it in the back of your mind.

Jan

Is the pepper spray a permanent fix or just something to temporarily stop her. I want to get to the bottom of this, and make her permanently stop. While the muzzle is a great idea for a little while it won't convince her to stop.

WHY does she do this in the first place? Is it a dominance thing, a boredom thing, or what? I wouldn't think it was a crowding issue as they were in a three acre pasture and there is only three of them! Plenty of room...I would think.

I have heard of the M-T-G. I was told it stinks to high heaven but works well. I have not used it before, but will give it a try. Thanks for all the replies. Anyone else feel free to chime in as I welcome any and all opinions.

Put some Listerne in a spray bottle full strength and keep that tail sprayed. She won't like the taste.

My two year old colt did that last year, or at least I'm assuming he did as the outside layers of my other gelding's wonderful thick tail slowly disappeared until he looked like I'd banged it off at his hocks.
default_rolleyes.gif
I never saw the colt touching it but it wasn't stuck in the fences either and it certainly was going somewhere!
default_wacko.png
Considering I'd had the other gelding for five years at that point and had never had a problem the obvious culprit was the new horse. I immediately started him on regular doses of Sand Clear in hopes of getting the hair out of his gut and bagged what remained of Kody's tail. I also tried spraying it with a bitter spray I bought at the tack store but I'm not sure that did much. It was hard to tell as he nibbled it off a bit at a time and of course it was taking a long time to grow back so I couldn't tell if he'd stopped.

I made the mistake of discontinuing the bagging and the several inches of progress I'd made in regrowing it mysterious vanished one night a few weeks later. I could have killed him! Despite my annoyance I never seemed to get around to rebagging the tail or spraying it with nasty stuff again but he must have grown out of the habit (please God?
default_pray.gif
) as Kody's tail is finally beginning to look respectable again. Thankfully the colt never did eat the hairs at the center so you wouldn't have noticed Kody was missing his tail at first glance in the ring but it was definitely thin and really unbalanced the picture he made.
default_sad.png
I'm crossing my fingers as it continues to lengthen and by the end of this summer I'm hopeful he'll have that glorious roan tail back.
default_wub.png

I wish I'd thought of a grazing muzzle! Since my boys are dry-lotted anyway that would have worked nicely. That or putting some sort of mesh barrier across the bottom of both my farm gates. I think the colt was reaching through the lower bars at about knee-height and nibbling what he could reach of his buddy's tail as being the only part of him he could get ahold of. He wanted to rough-house but of course couldn't when they were separated. Thankfully Kody would never tolerate him nibbling on his mane or forelock but I think the tail wiggling behind him while he relaxed by the gate was below his reaction threshold.

Leia

P.S.- I'd been occasionally finding tail hairs in Turbo's poo but no longer did after using the Sand Clear several times. I'm hopeful that means it cleared him out but I live in fear that he's got half a tail lurking in his gut!
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back