Need advice on showing.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessj

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I have spent so much time on this forum and seen everyone's show horses, It really makes me want to show! I grew up doing timed events with quarter horses, and have very limited experience with halter/western pleasure. I want to do this right. I want to get my new barn built first. It should be finished this fall/winter. I have been thinking that I would like to take my time and find a nice colt next year to get started with. I want to spend some time looking for exactly what I want. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I don't want to pay a huge extravagant price. I have also been researching shows in my area...there are none! I looked on the amha website and found two shows that are 3-4 hours away each and two more that are 5-6hours away each. Do you guys have any tips on what to look for in a colt? I have been thinking colt, but would you reccomend filly instead? What is the average time that you all spend traveling to shows? How many shows do you generally attend per year? And do you have any other tips or advice? I am in central alabama...do you know of any other shows anywhere near me? Thanks in advance for your help and advice!!

My advice is to buy an already shown and trained show gelding. You can usually get a great deal on these show geldings as it also helps the farm you buy from to get the horse out and show it. You wont have to deal so much with hormone rages and a great gelding will help teach you how to show. You can buy a Nationals quality show gelding for not a ton of money. Its a win win.

I don't show AMHA so not sure on those. I am very lucky to be surrounded by ASPC/AMHR shows within just a couple hours.

My top advice is to go to several shows and watch. Observe what is winning, how they are shown, what the handlers are doing etc.

This will give you a good idea of what to look for and what to do once you start showing.

Best wishes in your quest!

kay

I agree with Kay, go watch some shows, see what kind/type of horses appeal to you, and what kinds of classes you may be interested in doing. A gelding would be great, and if he's already trained and has show experience that would be a huge plus for you.

Welcome the little horse world, I think you are going to love it!
default_biggrin.png

I agree with the others: Step number one, go to some shows, plan a weekend for it as most shows are a distance away. See what types of horses are placing.

Step number two: check out a lot of horses before buying, geldings are my favorites, but if you want you could by a young mare or colt, and build up a bond with them. Just my opinion but I think horses that have a bond with you will show better.

Step number three: Go show and have fun.

Now to answer the question about traveling to shows, we have one that is only three hours away, then another we like to go to because it is a double show and it is six hours away, I have driven ten or eleven hours to get to a show, and of course National is a two or three day drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your replies so far! I definitely plan to go to some shows, and watch as many as I can online. I have talked to a couple of people in pm. I would like to start out with halter, and possibly hunter jumper/ showmanship/obstacle and eventually (like in a few years) driving. Like I said before, it will probably be next year before I am even ready to add another horse, but I like being prepared! From the show listings that I have found online it would only be feasible for us to compete in 3-4 shows per year. Coming from a background of competeing in timed events weekly that doesnt seem like alot!! Is that about average or do you guys normally compete in more than that per year? Someone suggested that even though I want to start a colt (i like the idea of bonding from an early age) that it might be a good idea to purchase an experienced gelding as well. The gelding could help "show me the ropes" but would also be a great traveling companion for a younger halter horse. I like that idea! thanks again everybody and keep the advice coming!

Not sure what registry shows you might be interested in, but want to suggest that you not rule out Pinto (Pinto Horse Association) especially if you are used to timed events and big horses. Our pinto shows in New England even offered (for a time, but too late at night for most of us to enter) gymkhana driving classes for minis. Check out the info and show schedule at http://www.pinto.org

Starting with an experienced show gelding is good advice no what you plan to show. It seems like it takes so long for a weanling to get old enough to jump or drive!

Okay I did 8 AMHR shows this year, ranging from 3 hours to 16 hours away from our house... We also have/will do 2-6 more "open" breed shows. My step-dad and I love to show, so we try to as often as we can. If we didn't have so many obligations at home we'd likely double our AMHR shows that we hit a year!

As for what I show, I own 6 miniatures, 4 are mares/fillies and 2 are geldings(or soon to be). Colts are a headache and a hassle... I MUCH prefer geldings and mares!
default_new_shocked.gif
I loved my stallion, Midnight, dearly but I am in no rush to find another stallion.

Not sure if that covers all your bases, but it's a start! GOOD LUCK!!!

Being an utter newbie at all of this horse stuff
laugh.gif
i was really lucky to find a local miniature club (no AMHA or AMHR affiliation) that puts on 5 small shows per year. I have met some great people there. People who I believe will become lifelong friends thanks to our fur kids. The best advice they gave me was since I already had my horses, to jump in and go from there. I've been given tons of help and advice. Lots of encouragement. The judges used at these shows are certified judges who judge either AMHA and/or AMHR along with other horse organizations, so these judges do know their miniature horses on more than just a local level.

I agree with the advice that going to a show to watch is a really good idea. A key component that I didn't consider at first is all the pre-show prep. I'm an old and out of shape, so the pre-show work nearly does me in sometimes! I really have to push myself but I'm happy I've done it.

I tried showing two 2 year olds last year, right off the bat. Talk about biting of more than I could chew!! This year, I pulled back and showed just one. I truly am starting to feel more confidence with each show and each time we go into the ring. I only showed halter (age class appropriate) and color. I manged to attend 4 of the 5 club shows and a local county fair show that was run by one of our club's officers. We won blue each time in our age class and even won Grand Reserve at our first show in May. Talk about exciting!!!

Next year, I hope to show one of my 2 year olds in halter and some combination of that same 2 year old along with one of my other 2 year olds in hunter and obstacle. Unless I come across a great bargain, I don't think we'll be ready for any cart classes because I don't see where the budget is going to allow for a cart/harness purchase between now and then.

I drive 2 hours each way to attend our club shows. For my level of experience and my physical/mental capacity for this type of stuff, that's my limit for now. One of the two years olds I hope to show next year is a pinto and I'm considering looking into trying to find a pinto show to try out next year.

I agree about getting an experienced show gelding. I would suggest that you look into like a horse that has been a youth horse and does halter, showmanship, obstacle, and drives. That way, in a few years when you want to start driving, you don't have to go buy a new horse. As others have said, you can get a horse with national titles for a relatively inexpensive price. So you have a point of refrence, I have seen geldings that are Res. or National champions for $5000. Oh, and whatever horse you buy, if it's an under, try to make sure it's A and R registered, so you don't rule out any shows around you, since there don't seem to be many. You could buy a baby if you really wanted to bond with one in addition.

We did 3 shows that were multi-day shows, with AMHR and AMHA days. Then we did one only AMHA show, and one only AMHR show. We have done one "open" show this year, and have 2 more coming up. Most years we go to AMHR Nationals too. The farthest we drove to go to a show this year was 10 hours, then one was 6 hrs., and the rest were about 2-4 hrs. This really doesn't bother us, because we drive 4 hrs. each way to work with our trainer multiple times each month.

Try looking for a club around your area to help you with finding shows, and meeting people around you.

Good Luck!

We attend at least 4 shows a year and sometimes more not including Nationals. The closest would be 2 hours (if we went to that one but we are protesting it so don't attend). We're in Wisconsin and have to drive 5 and 6 hours to shows in Iowa, Minnesota, and Michigan. The furthest we went this year was 7 hours to one in Illinois.

I too would suggest a horse that has been shown and is reliable. If you like the looks of my avatar you might want to PM me.

Everyone else on here has given you some awesome advice! I agree go find yourself a nice experience show gelding. He will help build your confidence up! I just got into showing minis last summer. My mom bought me an experienced 3yr gelding, he drives, does halter,trail,jumping, you name it he's done it. He's built my confidence WAY up and we are doing really well together at the local miniature horse shows. After college/navy I would like to get more serious into the miniature show world and purchase a few really nice show minis to get me started again. Good luck with finding your little one!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back