Need advice on how to brace the floor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph_D

Reaction score
I might be getting a 49 gallon fish tank :aktion033: , but I don't feel safe with my floor. I'd like to brace it up, but don't really know how. Can anyone give me advice on what materials to use and how to go about doing it? This may sound silly to some, but I want to do it right and not find out that it's wrong the hard way :eek:

If your house was built to any existing codes it should handle a 49 gallon tank with no problems at all. The water weighs 490 pounds and is spread over several square feet. So unless there is an unknown problem with the house you should not have any problems.

You could use the floor things guys set cars on so they can use the jack somewhere else. A friend of mine did when she put a lot of bookcases in one room and it worked great. If they can hold up a car should have no problem with a fish tank.

You can't do this from inside usually, and our 50+ year old house was not built to codes for sure. There weren't any codes! :eek: You'd have to go underneath your house, use a car jack, and jack up the floor in that area and use something to secure it like a couple of boards or concrete block etc. Done it a few times here. Such joy.

One that size should not be a problem, talk with your local building supply company to fnd out for sure. I have a 150 gallon tank and just made sure I placed it over one of the support beams that run underneath the floor and haven't had any issues with it. When I had my 50 I put it anywhere I wanted it and didn't worry about it.

Well, I got the tank and I knew right away that it was definately NOT a 49 gallon tank. I got it home and measured it, only to find out that it's actually 36 gallons. So now at least I don't have to worry about my floor :aktion033: There was a ton of stuff that she just threw in with it, mostly old stuff for salt water (which I don't have), but that's ok by me. This tank is the same length and width as my 29 gallon tank, only about 4 inches or so taller. So at least I can buy the cheaper hood that'll fit a 29 gallon tank and be happy with that.

I did manage to get a free bed frame in the deal, which I badly needed (ever seen a bed on blocks before?
default_unsure.png
: ), so I'm happy with the deal.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Back