Need advice of experienced

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S. RUSSELL

Reaction score
My 18 year old mare is 282 days today. She has been down rolling - and I have been walking her. I think this is just a mild colic, but I am extremely anxious as last year her foal malpresented and died and then she prolasped.

Her bag was flat when I checked Sunday, but is now beginning to fill. She does not look dropped and has not softened in the tail.

Question - just how soon CAN a mini deliver?? - I wasn't looking for a foal until April 20 - 320 days.

Also, it is time for worming and vaccinations. I am afraid to do either of these if she is colicing - should I just wait until the colic passes and then worm and vaccinate as usual?

Last year was my first foal and a horrible way to start. I know there is a lot of experience out there on this forum, so I appreciate your advice.

[SIZE=18pt]CALL you vet. Get his/her opionion. [/SIZE]

Christy

There have been foals born that soon. It's not unheard of. Did you document her developmental signs from last year for reference? You have a tough one here because of last years situation. Because of that I would tnd to agree that running it by a vet is the best thing. Even just a discussion over the phone would help. Is she pooping? Are there any other signs besides the rolling that make you think colic?

I agree with the others.......you need to contact your vet.

MA

I would definately call your vet... I don't know much about prolapsing, but I always assumed that if they prolapsed, you shouldn't breed them back.

There have been foals born that soon. It's not unheard of. Did you document her developmental signs from last year for reference? You have a tough one here because of last years situation. Because of that I would tnd to agree that running it by a vet is the best thing. Even just a discussion over the phone would help. Is she pooping? Are there any other signs besides the rolling that make you think colic?
My husband has been with her all day - and after walking her very early this morning there has been no more rolling. I thought colic because when I walked her the feces were looser than normal and she did that three times. Since then everything looks normal. I thought maybe the stress of a foal moving into position might have occurred. She is not elongated in the back, yet. My vet said it was ok to breed her back after I waited awhile when she prolasped last year. I waited 3 months and had her vet checked and he said ok - but I am EXTREMELY anxious.

[SIZE=14pt]You have every reason to worry, Our vet would never agree to re breed a mare that has prolapsed. That would be the end of her breeding career. With colic you generally dont get loose stools, you get little or no stool..... if the foal died in utero before and couldnt get itself into position, that probably caused the malpresentation. Not to alarm you further but the rolling she was doing could have been to position the foal better if it wasnt getting into position. I would have had her evaluated immediately. This is not a time to just hope for the best. If she prolapses again she could die.[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]You have every reason to worry, Our vet would never agree to re breed a mare that has prolapsed. That would be the end of her breeding career. With colic you generally dont get loose stools, you get little or no stool..... if the foal died in utero before and couldnt get itself into position, that probably caused the malpresentation. Not to alarm you further but the rolling she was doing could have been to position the foal better if it wasnt getting into position. I would have had her evaluated immediately. This is not a time to just hope for the best. If she prolapses again she could die.[/SIZE]

Lyn
Called the vet - she appeared in perfect health when he got there. His tone of voice made me believe he thought I might be over reacting - I just think it pays to be concerned in this situation; and NOW I AM MORE CONCERNED - why would my vet say it was ok to rebreed a prolapsed mare when most of you think this should not be done? Does anyone know of a study done or some research I could read or access on the net about this? He is coming back next Monday and I want to talk to him about this.

Latest posts

Back