Necrotic Vaginitis? Anyone have a mare experience this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill Haven Farms

Reaction score
Last Saturday, one of my mares went into labor. She was in the paddock and when we got home, I moved her and another mare into the barn under cameras. She was acting uncomfy.....long story short.. the foal was backwards and upside down. Vet came and worked on getting the foal out.... Lost the foal, but was able to save the mare... (so far) The next morning, she was up and down with the beginning of colic. Vet came back out and we did IV fluids and banamine. She has been on SMZ 960mg - 4 tablets 2X a day and initally on banamine. Over the next 2-3 days I noticed the inside of her vulva was very bruised and had dark purple patches from the trauma of getting the foal out. Her discharge has been clearish with some rust color. I have been checking her vulva 2-3X a day and th tissue had begun to slough and SMELL horrible. I called the vet, she said to gently clease the area daily with nolvasan and water.

She went down again tonight and wanted to roll constantly. I walked her for 2 hourse, she passed stool, but when she does urinate and/or defecate, she acts like it hurts or she is very sore. I left her outside instead of putting her in the barn. She doesn't roll if she is outside grazing. She does have access to the barn to come and go as she wants.

thanks to you all.

Could she have retained a small piece of the placenta?

So sorry about your foal - hope your girl will be ok.
default_yes.gif

Anna

poor girl , she sounds very sore , I have had the bruised appearance but never had them slough skin or smell bad , hope she ok , sorry about your foal ,

My mare tore her cervix two years ago and developed an infection within two days. She had her uterus flushed with antibiotics and was on oral antibiotics for 10 days. Sounds like your mare has an infection. I'd have the vet back out ASAP.

I think I'd want my vet back out to do an internal exam. Probably flush and infuse too. It may be more than just damage to her vulva/vagina. Sorry about your foal and I hope your mare will be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may also see if you can watch her urinate and see if there is blood in it. A couple of years ago we had a dystocia, vet assisted, and several days after the delivery the mare started showing blood in her urine. Vet thought that her bladder was pinched in the process of removing the foal. We put her on antibiotics and she got well. Hope she improves.

Are you sure that the smell is coming only from the tissue of the vulva? A deeper seated infection will also cause a bad smell. If I were in your place I would have the vet back to do another flush and infusion of antibiotics.

Personally, is have her infused, flushed again immediately. No hesitation. Then is have her on oral or injectable antibiotics in case the infection is also outside of her uterus area.

UC Davis has always had us use nitrofurazone swabbed in their vagina after a dystocia. Generally for about a week. This is along with injectable antibiotics too.

Sounds like its possible there is a placenta tag still inside her. Definitely antibiotics, banamine (as an anti-endotoxin), and flush her uterus. Watch her temperature as well.

I'm sorry for your loss of the foal. I hope your mare pulls through {{{ hugs }}}

Latest posts

Back