Neck sweats..can they be used for warmth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use neck wraps (the ones with yards of fleece) for warmth in the winter but definately no snow problems here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't worry over snow as we rarely have any, but I would if warmth were an issue, though I would say a good, winter-weight, lined and waterproof hood would be preferable.
default_smile.png

They also make lined slinky hoods which are warmer, as well.

Liz M.

No, I would not use neck sweats for warmth in winter. They do not breath and the horse's neck would sweat (which is not good in winter) and possibly grow a fungus on it. If you need neck protection, then they make hoods that are water proof from the same type of material as winter horse blankets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about putting one on a clipped horse? I would not use any blankets, neck sweats or slinkys on a full haired horse in the winter, whether they were inside or not. I would use a neck sweat only if conditioning them for showing again with or without a clip. The hair these little horses grow in the winter is more than ample to keep them warm plus some shelter of some sort for them to get into from the rain/wind.

But to answer your question, yes they would keep the neck warm.

Beth

I have used them for warmth - on clipped horses - in extreme cold (well, as extreme as it gets here LOL) but generally a blanket and slinky is enough in our winters. I have a couple of winter hoods but never use them. They are just so bulky on minis.

Jan

I'm talking about horses that aren't clipped, and they have tick coats but last year their manes were tangeled in ice and i hat eseeing them that way. I won the smooth_ez contest and i'm getting a free neck sweat so i just wondered if for a couple hours at a time if it would keep her a bit warmer.

I don't think that's the intended use for them. Plus, their hair is designed for natural protection from the elements. When you are cold, the hair on your body stands up. Same with animals. If you put a blanket (or neck sweat) on a horse with a full unshaved coat of hair, you will flatten it down and make them colder as you have interferred with the insulating space of air in the hair.

Sell your sweat on eBay if you don't show or save it for show season when your horse is clipped. Really, I don't even use them and I show my horses.... they are by no means a necessity...

Andrea

Latest posts

Back