Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think it would be better if

• The judges stay the same as they are now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One set for halter and one set for performance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kuelqhs

Reaction score
I noticed that they later in the day it got the more all over the place the judges were on their placings. I feel we need more judges so these poor people can get a break! By the end of the day those judges were beat.

I think we should have a set of judges for halter and a difrent set for performance.

I agree that the judges really work hard. Maybe they should try the changes that AMHA is working on where the active working judges rotate so only three are judging and two are resting. Every class, one rotates off, one rotates on so each judge gets to rest for two classes. That will eliminate the current judging system of throwing out the high and low scores (AMHA system) which some people don't like, and just averaging the placings of the three judges.

This makes it so much more humane on the judges, and really mixes things up as well as the call judge changes frequently. They didn't do it for this year because contracts have already been signed, and God willing and the creek don't rise (meaning someone changes it), this new system will be put in place next year.

I have to say for the little bit of pay they get, that they are not doing these shows for the money!

You didn't ask for this but I feel the futurity classes should have been judged by the same judges in the same way as all of the other classes........... Does anyone know why the regular judges cannot or are not judging the futurity classes also?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming you noticed that Nationals had one set of judges for youth and amateur and another set for open or "regular" classes. It was the second set of judges that ran late at night and the later it got the "faster" the classes were called and judged.

I agree that they should have an alternate judge so they could rotate and "sit out" for a while hoping to get all classes judged evenly and without prejudice. I couldn't even SIT in the stands all day and watch let alone stand out in the arena and try to make decisions like they do.

I have always been very happy with Nationals, gate or not, I usually just have to tell myself, it's someone's opinion that day and time.

Yes I image the judges do get tired, we ALL do, exhibitors, horses, announcers ext.....while it might seen like a good idea to have another whole set of judges to interchange through the week, what about the cons?

Brining in another three judges = $$$$, their fees, motels, expenses, flights. Just like with the ribbons, while we would all like those glamous frilly ribbons to hang and display, in the same breath we all state we like how AMHR is relatively inexpensive for a National Show and would like to keep it that way.

Sort of one of those things, can't have my cake and eat it too. As with most things in life not everyone won't be happy, maybe it's something that can be discussed, and while I'm not oppossed to the thought of it, I also see some cons as well.

edited for some typos

Last edited by a moderator:
Erica, I agree, it is hard on everyone. I like the suggestion of having one extra judge in the group and letting them roatate so one has a break ever so often.

A good example--in the Liberty, Under class not one horse that went early was pinned. The top ten were taken from the last 20 or so horses that went. The judges were just too tired to care or remember the earlier horses and some of them had extremely good goes.

I agree with Erica, bringing in more judges is doubling the expense, and guess who that is going to be passed on to?? I know our spring show here, the judges airfee is paid, their hotels and a per diem per day for food, so basicly it's an all expense paid trip, on top of their fees, the fees to the registry for the judges, etc....

Everyone may get tired, but I hardly think there would be much in the way of consistancy either with judges being changed back and forth.

Are the A and R placings at Nationals for each figured differently? I have never attended A Nationals so dont know how the two compare.

Actually AMHA's new judging system for next year is for 4 judges with 3 judging and 1 rotating. The "rotating in" judge for each class will be the "Call Judge" for that class. The scores will be cumulative with no dropping of high or low.

There will be 4 for youth/amateur and 4 for open.

This does 2 things. It does allow 1 judge to rest but it mainly averages out the judging and seems more fair.

Secondly it reduces the total number of judges by 2. Thus less expense.

default_smile.png

A good example--in the Liberty, Under class not one horse that went early was pinned. The top ten were taken from the last 20 or so horses that went.
The truth is, there were about 70 horses in Liberty Under and at least two that placed in the top five -- A Stable Business Buck Private and Classique's Phantom Gold were among the first 20 horses to go.

By the way, the Liberty Under class results do not show up on horseshowsonline.

Latest posts

Back