Nation Top Breeders/Trainers of Modern,MP & Classic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen S

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I wanted to create a new thread so this one won't get lost in the middle of "OK Some Questions About AMHR Miniatures & Shetlands". There has been some very good discussion there, but to get to the root of what "Boinkey" is looking for, why not go straight to those that have been training, breeding, promoting and selling these fine animals and ask them these same questions and see what answers you come up with. Here is a list of names of farms, trainers, breeders, etc that you can call or email and have a nice chat with. You need to learn "Why" and the only way you can do that is to go straight to the source. Just like to remind you that those of us going to Congress next week are trying to get things ready, so if you email or call and they put you off, be patient with them at this time.

Most of the concentration of Modern Ponies are in Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Arkansas and Tennessee:

Robert Family Ponies-Illinois

Amy Roberts-Clark....Journal Editor

Email: [email protected]

Brush Creek Stables-Illinois

Bruce Becker-Director

815-894-2876

Pony-Vista Farm-Illinois

Mike Bonham & Dave Diemer

Ph 309-387-6713

Debonaire Stables-Ohio

Matt Schuckert

330-331-8109

Windermere Farm-Ohio

John & Melanie Rimmer

937-968-7422

Taylor Pony Farm-Ohio

Doc Taylor-Past Director

419-924-2226

Friendship Farm-Ohio

Cathy Brubaker

414-446-1060

Parnell Pony Stables-Arkansas

Larry Parnell-Director

870-523-3352

AGS Stables-Indiana

Garry Brumm

219-663-9128

E Training Center & Pony Farm-Pennsylvania

Wm (Bill) & Fran Eperthener-Director

717-528-8936

Ken-Mar Farm-Tennessee

Dr. Ken & Mary Wahl

865-856-8805

"Boinkey" since the main question came from you, then why don't you contact these folks, compile your questions, get their answers and come back here and post what you found out. I think it would be very educational for those that don't attend shows where there are Shetlands, those that don't attend either the ASPC Congress or the World Show where most of these ponies are shown. I would like to read what you find out.

Karen Shaw

bump bump
default_smile.png
:aktion033:

Yay! This has been a great chance for all of us to learn something new!

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I think Boinky was asking simple why the rules are different for ASPC and AMHR and we all got carried away with the technical stuff, but I really look forward to seeing what comes of this other part!

-Amy

PS, Karen, the horse in your avatar is AWSOME!!!

amy i have gotten to see karens horses in person at congress. they are gorgeous!

Thanks Kaykay & Amy for the nice compliments on our Classic Stallion, Pan's Silver Image. "Wolfe" as we call him will be back in the Classic Stallion Service Auction at Congress. If you want to bid on his breeding you can contact Jason Prince-Head of the Auction (815-426-2437) and submit a seal bid or a phone bid. You can go to our website and take a look at his get.

Kay, sorry to hear you won't be able to make it to Congress this year. My parents aren't able to go either and they are a bit sad, dad has to work and can't take off at this time.

I look forward to seeing those of you there, stop by and say hello.

Don't forget the pot luck lunch on Thursday. We usually feed around 300-350 people if not more.

Thanks.

Karen

THANK YOU KAREN for this thread. I had asked a year ago about how I could learn more about artificial appliances, and I will pester these breeders. In fact I bought a Modern Pleasure mare that is soooo much fun and I want a Harness Pony next and maybe these breeders have one for sale
default_wub.png
:

Not a lot of people are very willing to discuss the artificial appliances though, so hopefully someone will be of help.

Andrea

Bump for Directors names and phone numbers

Karen

I think some of the reticence to discuss things like this comes from even starting the conversations using phrases like "artificial appliances" which has a negative connotation. These are training aids, plain and simple... much like draw lines or side reins. If any of you read the thread "OK Some Questions About AMHR Miniatures & Shetlands", you can see that there are many many people who have their minds made up on these items, whether they are familiar with their use or not. I know I am more than willing to discuss this with anyone who comes to me asking honest questions and wanting to learn... however I will do all I can to avoid it appears that the point is not learning but wanting me to justify my use of them. I've never had anyone act reluctant to answer my questions on this subject, and Ive spoken to many different trainers. I think its all how you approach the subject. (ie: "I want my pony to be the best he can be but Im not familiar with the use of some things like <insert name of item here> do you have a moment to explain it to me?" vs "Shouldnt he be able to do that naturally, without all those appliances?")

Learning requires an open mind, and remembering that there is never one single way to do anything when it comes to horses. Some of the best trainers I know have been doing it for 40+ years and will *still* ask questions if they see someone doing something they arent familiar with to learn and see if its an idea they can use or a better way of doing something.

Latest posts

Back