Name brands of good quality barn cams!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
My mom is looking to get one, please list the name brand and model of the barn camera that you use and let me know if it works great, okay, etc.

Looking for good wireless name brands!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you looking for the wireless kind or the hard-wired?? What type of barn you have also makes a difference. I originally got a wireless one from Barn-cam. It was the more expensive one because I have a metal roof on my barn. It worked okay(but really not fantastic) and then last year I couldn't get it to work and to replace the parts it needed was almost as expensive as the whole system. I started checking out other sources, mostly security cameras. I tried another wireless system from Radio shack and it didn't work at all for me. I ended up going with a "hard-wire" version and I'm very happy with it. I have 3 "bullet" type black and white cameras with sound and a switcher so I can moniter more than one mare at a time. Just love it! I got mine from www.palmvid.com Good luck!

She is looking for wireless, and it will have to go through metal sheeting. Money is of no concern, she's just looking for high quality where she can hook up the camera to a network and be able to watch her horses from her home computer OR here at work!

Hi Steff.

I have a wireless camara. My classic barn is now sided with sheet metal to preserve it.

This camara works great and I also got a extra reciever for a small tv in my bedroom at night.

It is wireless from the house to the barn. and in the barn you can get up to 100' of co-ax cable to

run from one end to the other of the barn. So I can basically put my camara anywhere in there.

I also believe you can set up for more camara's ect. Maureen at Maureenscreations.com in Fl.

CHeck out the website. She was a great help before and after purchase.

I dont use this service but I know many do and are very pleased marestare.com and I am pretty sure they sell the cameras as well as offer web cam service

I dont use this service but I know many do and are very pleased marestare.com and I am pretty sure they sell the cameras as well as offer web cam service
Hi there, let me tell you my experience with barn cams. The first camera's I got were the infrared color camera's and it was a wireless system. Sorry but they suck!!!! I then went to a wired system using the same camera's.. (The barn I had was a wood barn with a metal roof). Altho a little better picture, it was still not the quality I wanted. With an infrared camera you get little colored lines and it looks wavy. I have now changed to a straight color dome camera and altho you need to have lights on to see at night, they are so much more cleared and stable. Also with these dome camera's I get a much wider vision area. You can set them to whatever you want with the zoom feature.

In my opinion the wired system is 100% better then a wireless system. Oh and dont forget to wipe the camera lens off once a week. They do get pretty dusty..lol....

I have my cam streaming thru Marestare and its great!!!! All those people to help watch my girls...

If you'd like to see what my cam looks like, let me know and we can set up a time for you to view it as I dont currently have it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! Kim i'll let her know about the one you spoke of!

I know she wont be interested in going through marestare, she just wants this for her personal use. Her barn is tooooooo far away from her house for any wired system so she has to get a wireless so...hoping to find a good one for her soon!

She mostly just wants to be able to check on her horses anytime during the day. She has a new girl that stops by during the day while she is at work and she also wants to be able to watch the girl interact with her horses and make sure that is going okay. She was hired to excersize and ride the horses, and clean up around the barn =)

I am going to have to disagree with Spiritwins, I have the wireless both inside and out, outside is infrared, color, and sound and I dont have any red lines you spoke of at all.Inside is my dome cams, also color and sound but not infrared, so I do have to leave a light on to see at night. My picture comes in perfectly clear, and I can see just about every aspect of foaling on it. I will agree I have seen some of the cheaper cams (most were bought off of ebay) and the quality was horrible like you spoke of, so alot depends upon the QUALITY of the cam. We have a large old converted dairy barn, all wood construction, with a shingled roof. Alot of the times a wireless wont work with a metal barn or going thru metal sheeting. Mine goes thru the barn wall, which is a concrete wall, the extreior house wall and I now have it set up where it has to go thru one interior wall as well. My outside cams, are connected at the lean too..and they only have to travel thru the drylot, and into the house so there isnt any interferance there. I LOVE my wireless system, but it was installed by someone who does this for police.and fire depts. Corinne

Corinne,

Hey where have you been? I miss your phone calls lol!

Thanks for writing! I just found out my mom has scheduled a professional to come in and arrange for wiring and stuff and is going to set her up with a nice network camera so she can watch from home, or work, or any computer that has internet! I hope it goes well...might have to get this person out by my house too!

Latest posts

Back