Mysterious Clicking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2198lindsey

Reaction score
Well, there's a little bit of a problem today.

I was spending time with my mini today and having a little grooming session. I haven't had him for long and he is only about 3 so I was curious as to how he is about his feet being picked up, because the farier will be coming out on the 17th to do him and the big horses. I was closest to his hind left leg, so I picked this one up first. I got it up, no resisting. Then "click" goes some joint. He pulled his foot a little bit, but not enough to yank it away from me, I thought this odd so I set it back down, another "click" following. This concerned me so I did it another two or three times, each time something was still clicking. I'm very concerned and was wondering if anyone knew of anything in minis that would cause this.

I will have the vet out about it but I didn't know if any of you fountains of knowledge out there could help ease my worrying.

Thanks!

What is clicking ? His joints or hooves ? If it's his hooves, he just needs a trim more than likely.

From what I understand clicking in joints is due to the ligaments 'moving', especially if the joints are not quite correctly 'aligned'. (my knees click/crack everytime I bend my legs due to damage done some 40 years ago!)

As you have said in a previous post, your sweet boy doesn't have perfect conformation in his limbs, so the odd 'click' here and there might be something he will have to live with. A additive specially for joints may help but I am not a vet so if you are concerned perhaps have a word with him/her.

May I also add that when your farrier comes, make sure that he adjusts his own position while trimming a mini to what is comfortable for the mini - a lot of farriers dislike doing mini horses because they cannot hold a minis legs in the conventional way for trimming a big horse. Legs should not be held high and therefore the farrier has to bend down to mini level. With your little lad, particularly with his front legs, your farrier will have to find a level that is comfortable for your boy. If you regularly pick your boy's feet up in a comfortable position for him and he is happy with you, you will soon see from his reaction if he is also comfortable with the position your farrier is using and if not, you can ask your farrier to change his way of working.

You have a very sweet little colt there - and he is very lucky to have found you!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back