My solution to the height problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Any horse taken up to be measured, will be done so by a trainer or handler other than the horse's OWN trainer.

This person who has the horse measured, we will say a trainer here, is having their horse measured by another trainer.

If either trainer has the horse they are with measuring, measured unfairly, then BOTH horses would be DQ'd.

So you have to make sure others are measured fairly, or your horse don't get to play either.

There ya go! Be honest or your horse is done too!

Last edited by a moderator:
But then what about us who show our own? I don't really like the idea of marching another person's horse up to be measured and someone else taking mine up.

Then who polices this?
unsure.gif
It's much to easy for Trainer/Owner A to say to Trainer/Owner B, you measure my horse the way I want & I will measure your horse the way you want...then we're right back where we are at now--the measured height works unless someone files a protest.

It still comes down to the person doing the measuring, and if he/she is going to follow the rules of proper measuring, or if he/she is going to measure what the handler wants.

Besides, when it comes to the concept of a horse and the horse he was paired up with being DQ'd if either one is found to be measured wrong....what a nightmare of paperwork for someone to keep track of--Handler A measured 3 horses for Handler B, B measured 3 horses for Handler A and 2 horses for Handler C, C measured 2 horses for Handler B and 4 for Handler D..... yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't totally serious, but you have some very valid points.

I know,,,,,,,
poke.gif
poke.gif
lets call in the team from CSI, the only people I know with exact science.

Not trying to make light of this at all, an on going problem with no real answers, causing many frustration, just adding a lighter side.
biggrin.gif

Many years ago at the National Show in Reno, all horses were lead into be measured by an outside person and the owner/trainer was not even present for the measurement, as I remember.

aktion033.gif
That seems like the perfect solution, to me.

Many years ago at the National Show in Reno, all horses were lead into be measured by an outside person and the owner/trainer was not even present for the measurement, as I remember.
Didn't something of the same sort happen in Fort Worth about three years ago?? I remember taking horses down to be measured - and handing them over to an Outside Person who then stood them up to be measured.... while other witnesses made sure the horse was not stretched etc. No one associated with the horse was permitted to handle them - or be near them.

*puzzled*

Didn't something of the same sort happen in Fort Worth about three years ago?? I remember taking horses down to be measured - and handing them over to an Outside Person who then stood them up to be measured....
The recent (but not this year) procedure at AMHA National/World show has been to have an official outside of the measuring area mark your horse at the correct spot to measure. You led your own horse in (or trainer did), set the horse up - and stand back. No one has taken my horses lead to measure, but once the horse was set up you were not to touch it in anyway or hold its head up, etc. One person measured, another wrote it down, and it was videotaped.

Jan

Even though I'm not training (for others) anymore, I'll chime in here. I do hand off many of my horses to others to be measured. Some I will not hand off. If they are right over or right under a height limit and I KNOW it, *I* want to be there to keep them calm & relaxed when they are being measured. I don't want a horse tensing up or dipping it's back because they are tense, possibly changing classes or worse, putting them in the WRONG class.

I could not hand over the horse in my avatar. He would never stand for that. He was badly abused in his younger years and gets nervous if I disappear. He will rear up , with front feet tucked , and just stand like that till he can see me again. He loves my mother but does the same thing with her.

There would have to be something for horses like mine.

Robin

What if someone protested a horse and the horse turned out to be re-measured in a different class, the person doing the measuring would be fined. If the horse was there to be measured for a trainer, ALL horses there to be shown by that trainer would have to be re-measured. All horses measured into a different height class would be fined to the trainer.

If you hit them in the pocket, they will make sure the horses are measured correctly, and I'm sure the "other" clients wouldn't be overly impressed if "their" horses, not the one in question , had to be re-measured.

All trainers who had more than one horse measured into another height class would have their name put in the MHW National issue as having beened fined for questionable measurements in a prominent place.

I'll bet things would straighten out real fast.

Robin

Latest posts

Back