my rotweiller killed a deer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I am so upset. My rottie chased down a deer and killed it last night. I heard the ruckus just at dark and went to investigate. I had seen two deer cutting through the pasture earlier. Titan is 2years old and I have had him a year. He has been good and loves the horses especialy the babies but now I am afraid he will attack one. He had killed some cats already. OK. My question is should I try to find him a new home or is he too dangerous now? I have him locked in the garage now and only let him out when all my minis are in the barn. I don't know what to do. HELP!
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

I've never had experience w/ dogs killing other animals except my big dogs (collie and a lab cross) once killed a wild rabbit. But, I would really e concerned about Titan being around horses (which to a dog, may not be that different than a deer?).

I'm sorry you're having this kind of thing to worry about this kind of thing. I'm sure it's very upsetting. Much as I love my horses, I love my dogs even more.

I'm impressed. Taking down a deer alone wasn't easy. Being animal aggressive does not necessarily mean he is or might become human aggressive, but I would have him evaluated by a professional behavioralist before deciding to keep him or place him in another home. Due to his high prey drive, I would certainly never leave him with children unattended. There's no way he should be allowed near the horses. He should also be given some healthy activities to help him expell his extra energy EVERY DAY. Enrolling him in an obedience class would be an excellent investment should you decide to keep him after his evaluation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicole is right, having him assessed by a behavioralist would be great but my honest opinion in this case would be to have him assessed, and then place him in a PET ONLY home...with NO CATS. Make that a point because I would just about die if I adopted a dog, brought it home, and it killed my beloved cats.

I don't know why so many people don't realize that a cat-killing dog is likely to progress to larger "prey". So many apparently believe that killing cats is an okay thing? Here any dog that killed a cat would get no second chance.

If you do rehome him make sure that it is to a home with no other pets, and make sure the new owner knows about the cat killing tendencies. Even if they don't have a cat themselves it would be a shame if the dog killed a neighbor's cat because the new owner was unaware of that tendency.

Here there is a specific law against a dog chasing, harassing or killing deer; if a wildlife/conservation officer sees a dog running deer he is authorized to shoot the dog on the spot, and yes, they actually do shoot dogs in this situation. If the dog's owner is found there is a hefty fine for allowing a dog to chase/harass/kill deer.

What a resourceful dog! Was he hungry, or just bored?

In any case, I wouldn't be letting him around your minis. He might be okay, but chances are if one of them runs, he'll get excited and go after it.

I wish I had a dog who would "discourage" cats ... we've got a bunch of wild ones hanging around here that we'd rather not have.

My brother adopted a dalmation (sp?). He seemed to be a sweet dog. He had him about 3 days when he (my brother) was sitting in a chair and the dog had his front feet up on the chair getting petted. All of a sudden you could see the look on the dogs face change. He realized his head was higher than my brothers. The dog went into attack mode. My brother being a big guy was able to get the dog off of him and down to the ground. We then took a knee high nylon and made a muzzle for the dog so we could get him into the car. We got him down to the pound and the worker was shocked as she had worked with the dog. She took him and put him in a kennel and he then tried to attack her. The next day when he had to be put down for being agrissive to people, he once again tried to attack the worker. They don't know what set him off. But, he was not a nice boy. I would not have been worried in your case if it was only a rabbit or bird that your dog killed. But, a deer, he has a real hunter instinct. I would, as I said before place him in a home where he is the only animal. even if he were evaluated by a profesional they may not be right as in my brothers dogs case. I would warn the people taking the dog that he does not get along with other animals or children.

I think you should truly consider if you "re-home" him. If he attacked a cat or something while on a walk or even a child.

We had a dalmation had obedience, agility and had other "outlets" for play. He went after one of my nephews (who was just standing not teasing or anyway influencing the dog) and went right for the throat. Dad said to NEVER bring the dog around. Scared the bejeebers out of me, he was 8 months then. A red light should have gone on, but didn't

So back to the obedience class we were doing good and then one day (about 1 year old), he went after another dog and a professional handler. We tried everything from resocializing etc. for about 6 months. After much discussion with my vet, behaviorist, and a very well known vet school, we made the decision to put him down. There were many things that went through our minds as to what else we could have done. I really couldn't think of if he had seriously bit or mauled someone how bad I would feel. He was two years old and we had him since he was 6 weeks old.

The vet thinks that he was "imbred" (though from a reputable breeder) when I called the breeder and told her, she offered me another puppy - I think not.

Good luck with your decision, I know it is not easy.

Hands down this dog should be put to sleep. He has a high prey drive and is unsafe to be around other animals and small children. You may also want to delete the postings depends on where you live but dogs killing deer the owner can be fined. I am sorry its happened but if you KNEW he killed cats why allow the dog loose???

There is so much misinformation and fear out there about dogs. I still stand by my opinion that this dog should be evaluated by a professional behavioralist before being kept, rehomed or put down. Below is an interesting link which you all should read, especially those who gave anecdotal responses indicating that their dogs "just attacked" people.

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0182.htm

The cats that were killed should have been the first clue that something was not right. NO DOG should be allowed to kill anything- period. Not even 'chase' them in 'fun'. This is how it all starts. You are right- he will probably go after the horses next, as he has already moved on to bigger animals. Dogs are predators and once they start this, they will NOT stop.

This is a dangerous dog and should be put down IMMEDIATELY. Is another home going to be able to keep him from killing other animals and are they going to want the responsibility?! That is passing the problem off to someone else. What is to guarantee that the dog does not get out of their yard or whatever and go at it again. It becomes a fun game with them and they like the taste- it's exciting to them.

I wont tell you what has happened to dogs in the past we have found attacking livestock, but they were NOT rehomed to move the problem somewhere else and risk either having other animals or someone's CHILD hurt!!

If you do not have the heart to have him put down, then I would submit him to the nearest animal shelter and tell them that he is killing cats, deer, etc... My neighbors had a large dog that was allowed to do this sort of thing as they lived at the edge of town with a few acres and thought it was ok for him to do that - and he did end up biting several people and then DID bring down a caretaker's five year old child that lived on the property!!!! The child's father happened to be home- thank heavens and the dog was killed on the spot, in the act.

Just edited to note- I do NOT understand why any dog owner thinks it's ok for a dog to kill ANYthing- whether it is a bird, cat, rabbit.... they get the taste of blood, and think that it's ok to kill things and dogs dont know where to draw the line- period. They dont know it's ok to kill the chicken or kitty, but then not ok to kill the pony or neighbor's calf!!! And I can't tell you how many people I know or have heard of that think 'Isn't that cute- the dog just loves to 'play' with the horses (or goats, or....)". This is the first stage of 'stalking' and going after other animals and should NEVER be allowed.

This is a VERY serious situation that needs to be taken care of right away!!

Unfortunately, when we moved to the country, we were having trouble with our big dog showing interest in our small animals. :no: He has NOT ever eaten one of our animals though. (though he has shown quite an interest in my sisters rabbit) He no longer chases or even looks at our cats and is quickly losing interest in the baby chicks and small goats. We are teaching him that theses are our animals, he is not to even look at them! and its working! He has eaten the field mice, grasshoppers, and pond frogs. He now knows the difference between "our" animals and grasshoppers!
default_smile.png
We are so glad because at first we thought we might have to get rid of him. I would be very concerned about a dog that took down a deer, especially with his cat-eating history and with all those little foals around. We have a friend who had his great dane put down because of him eating a neighbors expensive prize winning pig. He could not afford for it to happen again.
default_sad.png

[SIZE=12pt]I am so upset. My rottie chased down a deer and killed it last night. I heard the ruckus just at dark and went to investigate. I had seen two deer cutting through the pasture earlier. Titan is 2years old and I have had him a year. He has been good and loves the horses especialy the babies but now I am afraid he will attack one. He had killed some cats already. OK. My question is should I try to find him a new home or is he too dangerous now? I have him locked in the garage now and only let him out when all my minis are in the barn. I don't know what to do. HELP!
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]
You might want to check your state statutes. In some states there are regulations with regard to how these dogs are handled. As for him confusing the horses with deer, from what you described he was acting much like an LGD will and saw the deer as a threat to his property. This is a very fine line where people with guardian, working, hunting breeds have to be careful. Rottweillers were historically guardians and herding dogs so I don't see the behavior as out of line BUT federal and state laws do not care if the dog was doing his job, without a deer tag you are poaching.

I do not think it's okay for a dog to kill anything, but I also don't think it's okay to kill a dog because it has been allowed to act upon it's natural predatory instinct. Just because a dog has killed does not mean it is blood thirsty. Let's keep in mind that many people feed their dogs raw animals (in parts or in whole) as their primary diet. Before there was bagged and canned dog food, many dogs hunted for part of their main stay and even today I know of some that still do. Beyond that, dogs have been used by people for hunting live prey for thousands of years. And before they were dogs, they were wolves.

That said, there is likely more to this story than we or the owners know. Perhaps the dog simply saw the opportunity to take down weaker prey animals. The dog could have a medical condition causing it to act out aggressively. The dog could be dominant, extremely territorial, or animal or people aggressive. With proper management, many dogs can be worked with and managed safely once their problems are properly identified. If the current owner doesn't want to do deal with it, there may well be someone out there with the experience and time to make the effort.

Just edited to note- I do NOT understand why any dog owner thinks it's ok for a dog to kill ANYthing- whether it is a bird, cat, rabbit.... they get the taste of blood, and think that it's ok to kill things and dogs dont know where to draw the line- period. They dont know it's ok to kill the chicken or kitty, but then not ok to kill the pony or neighbor's calf!!! And I can't tell you how many people I know or have heard of that think 'Isn't that cute- the dog just loves to 'play' with the horses (or goats, or....)". This is the first stage of 'stalking' and going after other animals and should NEVER be allowed.
I disagree whole heartedly with this statement. There are dog breeds specifically bred to kill predators while being extremely gentle with children and humans. I have one - a Maremma. The breed is designed to protect families and livestock and to KILL wolves and other predators. My Maremma patrols our property, checks our livestock, and is so gentle with the other dogs, cats and my daughter. (Please note, I would NEVER let my child be around ANY dog unsupervised, she is only outside when she's with me.) We had a downer cow this spring and that dog, just a pup at the time, would spend much of the day lying beside the cow, protecting it. Her "killer" instinct isn't to kill easy prey like a downed cow - she easily could have if she had been so inclined - it's to kill predators.

I plan to get a second Maremma when one of our other dogs passes from old age, so that the two Maremmas can take down coyotes together - Anna won't go after them alone, right now she just defends the property with her presence.

We also have cocker spaniels, two of whom in their younger years killed a chicken or two if one got out of the coop and flapped excitedly. I don't blame them for that - it's a dog's nature to become excited about easy prey. These same two dogs are INCREDIBLE with children. Kids can literally do anything to them and they'll just lie there and take it. The highlight of those dogs' lives is when my daughter and I go outside to play and they get their daily hug and kiss from her. They have never so much as lifted a lip to a human, despite unpleasant experiences like having porcupine quills pulled out without sedative, home haircuts, daily injections and pills for illness ... they're just GOOD DOGS.

When I was a kid, we had a hoity-toity pedigreed yorkshire terrier who loved to hunt rabbits when we were out at my grandpa's farm. She was never so happy as when she brought home her kill to show us. We also had a terri-poo who was a better mouser than most cats. Those two dogs were doing the jobs they were originally bred to do - take out vermin. My brother and I spent a good portion of our lives around these "killer" dogs, doing all the things that kids do with animals, and neither one of us ever got even a nip.

Many breeds are bred to "stalk" other animals - border collies, australian shepherds, heelers, etc ... I use my Aussie's "stalking" skills to easily move cattle and horses. Two of my cocker spaniels are also de facto cattle dogs when I need them to be. My Aussie LOVES to "stalk" the cats. He LIVES for the times they'll play along and "run away" from him. What does he do when he catches them? Nothing. It's no fun when they stop running and he loses interest. Those cats sleep with the dogs, rub all over them, and on cold days, those d@mn cats sleep ON the dogs. The Aussie is 14 years old and has never harmed a cat.

My aunt rescued an abused greyhound who, before she was rescued, would take down deer when she got hungry because her previous owners didn't feed her. My aunt has two kids and that dog is as gentle as can be with them. She's an absolute treasure of a dog, and I don't like greyhounds as a rule.

So, the point and moral of the stories is this: dogs can be BOTH. They can fulfill their natural "killer" instincts AND be trustworthy family dogs. You CANNOT make blanket statements like "I do NOT understand why any dog owner thinks it's ok for a dog to kill ANYthing- whether it is a bird, cat, rabbit.... they get the taste of blood, and think that it's ok to kill things and dogs dont know where to draw the line- period." That's just plain ignorant when there are millions and millions of families who will tell you otherwise.

Problems arise between people and dogs when people forget what dogs are FOR. Most of them weren't originally bred to be house pets. Chihuahuas are meant to be rat killers in Mexico. Jack Russel Terriers were created to dig out badgers and other rodents. Cocker spaniels are hunting dogs, so are labrador and golden retreivers. It's going to take a LOT longer to breed those "killer" instincts out of those breeds because people spent hundreds of years breeding those instincts INTO the breeds in the first place. Dogs NEED to have jobs, or else have daily play that replicates their jobs.

I agree jenn. You do need to look at the particular breed and what it was bred to do. So many people forget what certain breeds were intended to do and then dont understand when the dog herds the kids etc. If you buy a herding dog it is going to herd!

Also cats kill birds, rabbits etc all the time. This is their instinct. But I dont see people rushing to put cats down because they killed a bird? Obviously most cats are smaller and cant do the damage a dog does but Im just using this to illustrate that this is what natural instincts do. Even cats that are well fed will hunt.

Most of the time with dogs it comes down to training, training and training. Which a lot of people dont want to take the time to do.

Jenn and Mininik I agree with both of you.

And this is a good example of why "I" believe people seeking a dog need to do their homework and understand a breed's purpose. I also strongly support purebred dogs for this reason. I have a ST. Poodle who hunts birds this is a trait in the breed, and to him a chicken is just another bird to be picked up and delivered.....until I can build a dog proof chicken pen I will not own chickens.

Sighthounds hunt small furry game and some hunt large furry game, so a sighthound killing a cat/rabbit/squirrel that gets on its property or in its yard is following through on instinct that makes up the breed. Just about all dogs in the terrier, sporting, and hound groups will hunt and kill that is what these groups were bred for.

One of the first lessons a hunting dog must learn is......NOT to chase deer.....big nono......this simple act saves many dogs lives.

many of the other groups of dogs consist of breeds with multiple uses, researching historical uses of a breed can help an owner understand what is common for a breed, be it killing rats, or guarding livestock, or herding or doing all these things such as a few in the herding group collies, aussies, Gsds, were multi purpose farm dogs.

The last thing I want to see is breeds losing the characteristics that seperate them and make them each so unique. I have no desire to own a generic dog.

Now if anyone has a good mole/vole dog let me know I'd be happy to let it come work on my property :bgrin :bgrin

I'm so sorry this happened. :no: But please do be careful with your horses. I recently had a dog pass away and I consulted Bonnie because I had some qeustions. I won't go into all the details, but what I think is important to share here is that my dog was blind and had been so since before we got minis. But before he was blind, he had seen deer. He died because he was kicked by one of the horses. He "told" Bonnie it was a deer! To him, maybe it was a similar scent, I don't know. But my dog thought the minis were deer, so please be careful in case your dog thinks the same way.

Again, I'm sorry this happened. No matter what you do, it won't be easy.

Sorry this has happened, but unless you know about his first year in life, I would be concerned :new_shocked:

Latest posts

Back