Hello from SW Virginia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love my minis

Reaction score
This is the 2nd mini we have owned and I am in a different situation now so have some questions. We lived on a farm before and kept all our horses together. Now we have one boarded and one here on our property -almost an acre. Our little guy is affectionate low key, friendly, healthy and just a joy to have around. My husband just put new lighting in his little barn but he has been staying in the huge 3 car garage since we got him at night. He is on the grass during the day but I alternate the areas and give him breaks during the day so he won't founder. His feet look great and his teeth are stained but look straight and were just floated. My question is this. He seems to be perfectly happy by himself at night but I feel badly that he and the rabbit are alone at night. He is so personable I am sure he would love a buddy. I have had sheep before and wondered if this is adequate for a buddy or does it have to be another mini?

I would not worry about getting him a companion at this point. You are obviously spending a lot of time with him. This is a great bonding time for you both. I had my first miniature for several months before I got another. He is 24 now. We have a special bond with each other.

If you want to get him a buddy I think a friendly sheep would be fine. It's really about their personalities being good together and not what species they are.

This is the 2nd mini we have owned and I am in a different situation now so have some questions. We lived on a farm before and kept all our horses together. Now we have one boarded and one here on our property -almost an acre. Our little guy is affectionate low key, friendly, healthy and just a joy to have around. My husband just put new lighting in his little barn but he has been staying in the huge 3 car garage since we got him at night. He is on the grass during the day but I alternate the areas and give him breaks during the day so he won't founder. His feet look great and his teeth are stained but look straight and were just floated. My question is this. He seems to be perfectly happy by himself at night but I feel badly that he and the rabbit are alone at night. He is so personable I am sure he would love a buddy. I have had sheep before and wondered if this is adequate for a buddy or does it have to be another mini?
You said you are boarding one of your horses? Could your boarded horse be a buddy for your mini?

I would not worry about getting him a companion at this point. You are obviously spending a lot of time with him. This is a great bonding time for you both. I had my first miniature for several months before I got another. He is 24 now. We have a special bond with each other.
Thank you I read this the day you posted but just realized I could reply- that seems to be what we are doing and he seems perfectly fine.

If you want to get him a buddy I think a friendly sheep would be fine. It's really about their personalities being good together and not what species they are.
Thank you. I was leaning that way but wonder if they would infest him with their worms? I understand they can be hard to keep worm free but certain breeds of sheep are better than others?

Thank you. I guess you just have to try it. He seems to get along with the rabbit the dog and all people he has met.

Thank you. I was leaning that way but wonder if they would infest him with their worms? I understand they can be hard to keep worm free but certain breeds of sheep are better than others?
I'm pretty sure sheep and horses do not share worms. I was taught that it was good to rotate paddocks between horses and sheep (if you have them) because it reduces the worm count in the paddocks.

Most parasites are species-specific. Ask your vet if you have doubts about certain species.
btw, horses' teeth are supposed to be stained. Next time you have them floated, you can ask about plaque, but usually green teeth are fine. I love showing my horse's teeth to children--they are usually shocked!

Latest posts

Back