My mom's health...*Update on pg 4 Not good*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
It is soooo hard being 3000 miles away from my family (my mom especially). I knew when I moved from Oregon to Florida that I would miss them, but also thought I'd be able to go back to visit 2x/year and also my mom's health was not as bad as it is now back then. I have only been able to go back for a visit 2x since I moved 2 years ago...the last time just about a year ago.

My mom's health is declining and I really need to go home for awhile to see her. In June 2011, she was diagnosed with inoperable colon cancer (yes, I know some can be operated on, but not hers). She went thru radiation and chemo, but because of her other health issues...heart disease, a heart valve, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, etc...she had to be hospitalized every time for blood transfusions. She got so weak and my dad just can't pick her up if/when she falls. So, she told her oncologist no more chemo. Also, because of her weight, heart problems and weakness, she can not get up and move...so her circulation is bad. I noticed how black her lower legs were back when I was there a year ago.

Yesterday, I got a call from my dad that my mom is once again in the hospital...for infection/gangrene on her foot. She needs to have surgery and will probably lose at least one toe...at least that is the latest news. (She will eventually lose her foot I think, but so far it has not progressed that far). They are delaying her surgery because she is a VERY high risk for surgery due to all her issues. They have yet to clear her for OR at this time. She is weak and has been having trouble breathing.

Quite honestly, I am not a big "pray'er". I believe in God, but I just don't take the time (the only excuse I can come up with and I know its not a great one), BUT....I am asking for prayers from you all....that my mom makes it alive off the table when she has surgery and I can go to see her soon!

I know I would regret it and feel very guilty if I didn't get to see her and something happens....I LOVE Florida and I am happy living here, but right now...I need to be in Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry your mom is going through this and that you can't be by her side. Sending healing thoughts her way, and hugs to you.

I am so sorry for you

i under stand how hard it is to be so farr away. im in alaska and my parents were in Idaho.

to far for me to go to. i hope your mom's heath improves. i hope you can get there soon to be with her and your dad.

I'm so very sorry your mom is going through this (and you too) Keeping my fingers crossed that she makes it through okay and that you can get to visit her really soon.

That has to be tough being so far away... Keeping you and your family and my thoughts and prayers...

Liz N.

Thinking of you and your mom....I lost my dad in July from Colon cancer...so awful to see someone go through that. He went fairly quickly (diagnosed in March); at the end I just wanted a peaceful passing for him (which he had). He, too, had complications from chemo and the cancer itself (transfusions etc.). Can you go and see her? Every moment counts....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank for all your thoughts and prayers.

I am working on going to visit...It is a money issue, but I am hoping this Friday I will be able to get a ticket...<crossing fingers>...But it won't be until November when I can go see her, so that doesn't help me now with her surgery coming up. When I say she is high risk, I mean that she has a high probability of not making it off the OR table. Of course I want to stay positive and hope all will go well, but I also have to be realistic. I am not in denial, but I do believe in the power of prayer...so keep them coming!

Sending prayers her way.
default_xreiter.gif
to Oregon

Linda, this just tears at my heart -- if there were any way I could send you the airfare, you'd have it already.

I know we're not supposed to post sales on here (mods can deletethis if they wish), but this is essentially a fundraiser and I'm sure it would really help if more of your beautiful mares sold...I assume you've posted on the LB Sales Board.

I'll be keeping you and your parents in my thoughts.

Just read this, I live away from my mother also, and although her health is good, it is something I always worry about. Prayers to you and your family and that you can get there soon!

Linda,

I'm so sorry. Your Mom and you and your family are in my prayers. Sending you hugs too.

Many hugs Linda and lots of prayers. I understand being away from aging sick parents...it is so hard. I am lucky that I am only a 7 hour drive from mine.

Check into compassion air fares....many airlines offer them for a close family member that is sick...you would have to provide them with your Mom's doctor's number but maybe you can get a discounted rate.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. My mom still has not had surgery...When a patient has other health issues, they have to "clear" the patient for surgery and my mom has not yet been cleared, since she is just not well right now. She is in the hospital of course, so that is a good thing, so my dad does not need to care for her. At home, he tries so hard to do everything, but he is not "young" either and is in denial about his own health/well-being. I think he feels obligated to take care of her, because she stayed home and took care of him all these years when he was working.

I am glad I can come here and "talk" about this...thank you all for your support and friendship!

You and your parents are in my prayers. I pray for you to get to spend time with your mom and also for strength for your dad to get through these tough times. Truly sorry that you are going through this.

I am sorry about your mother's health (mine is home with me and ill with heart, lung and altzhiemers) and know that gangrene is nothing to mess with either. Do you know anyone at her location who might have a laptop with video where you could have them go to the hospital & talk with her from your own home?? Even many of the cell phones can do this. That would be "close" to having a visit for now. Sometimes sight is a soothing factor.

I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please do ask airlines about the med/compassion fares, they used to have them -- also contact the cancer foundations, some may have special rates they can offer in such cases.

Linda, so sorry to hear that your Mom is not well. Yes it is awful that you are so far away. I just had to travel to Florida to bury a daughter and didn't have much money and I don't have any credit cards, just a debit card, but was able to borrow the plane fare from someone else, so maybe that may be an option for you too. They were kind enough to put my fare on their credit card and I can pay it back whenever, friends and family can and will be kind and giving. I agree with Matt, go anyhow you can get there! Sending prayers and good wishes your way and for your Mom.

Update today...My mom will be having her surgery tomorrow afternoon and they are going to amputate just below the knee.
default_sad.png
They decided to do this because her circulation is so bad that if they didn't, the wound would not heal and they would need to go back and amputate more. Talking to my mom on the phone she was saying things like "when you come here, go thru my closets and take what you want" (meaning she wasn;t going to make it)
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
I told her to stop it and that I would see her when I come visit! I am so stressed out right now with worry................

Linda through all of this, I've been thinking of you and your mom. My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry that this is happening
default_sad.png

I'm sending prayers and many {{{{HUGS}}}}

I wish you could be at her side.

Latest posts

Back