My mini mare lost her foal :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone esle have this problem this year ? It was so sad, I was so hoping for a foal from her, it would of been her first. I dont know what I did wrong and blame myself. It was 6 months along, a beautiful pinto, looked like his dad Romeo.... I guess I will try again in the spring...

So sorry for your loss. I have 2 mares that are at 5 mon. now. So far so good. It is not your fault.

This is a common problem in miniatures. It happens to us all. It is always hard when you have so much hope and are looking forward to your newborn.

Do try again next year. She may or may not have a problem again.

I have not had this happen to me (knock on wood). But, I was watching a friends horses and one of her mares, the day she left town aborted her foal. He was very tiny which helped because he presented upside down. It really shook me up. I had never delivered a dead foal before. I hope it doesn't happen again any time soon.

How sad for you and the mare
default_sad.png
Im sure all will be fine next time around.

I SO know what you are going threw. While I was down at the world show my best producing mare (not a maiden) who was due in April aborted..... the foal was a boy and looked normal..... we had a hard frost the night before...... but WHO knows what makes them abort sometimes...... sometimes it just happens..... This mare had 3 foals for me all with no problem....... it was very hard to take the news...... since I only raise 2 - 3 foals a year....... so I am down to just 1 foal for next year........ ugh!

I'm so sorry!
default_sad.png
Some time it just happens. Who knows why? I know it's heartbreaking. I hope her next time will give you a nice foal to love!

Welcome to the forum

I'm so sorry you lost your foal, hope your mare is doing well. I to lost one last year that just devastated me. So sorry.

default_no.gif
I'm very sorry you lost your foal but hope the mare is doing ok. Welcome to the forum and I'm hoping next breeding season will give you a beautiful baby to love and enjoy!

Thanks for all your kind words. My little mare seems fine. I am wondering if she may need a vet check just to make sure all is well ? A friend of mine said to wait till spring and then do a check. Opinons? This would of been her first foal.

You need to get her checked when she comes back into heat which can be 10 days after she aborts..... It would be better if you got her checked out now and that way she would be ready to bred back in the spring.

Latest posts

Back