My mini is acting strange

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
She is eating her hay very slowly and tossing her head and pawing the ground, she looks at me like she's expecting something. She has icky breath. I'm pretty sure it's a tooth problem, but we won't be able to get her to the vet tomorrow. Is there any thing i can do for her? Oh and she seemed resistant to drink cold water. I'm going to try giving her some warm water in the morning and see if she drinks that. We have had a cold snap and it's hard on the animals after 60 and 70 degree weather now its in the 30's! YIKES!!! I want warm!

Sounds like colic to me. This cold snap could have brought it on. If you can't get a vet I would at least keep a VERY close eye on her.

Tossing the head, chewing slowly, icky breath indicates a problem with her mouth. Pawing the ground can mean frustration and/or discomfort. And not wanting to drink cold water is also a sign of teeth problems.

If you can't get a vet until Monday, I suggest you keep her water slightly warmed, and offer her some pelleted grain soaked in luke warm water to make it easy to eat.

I certainly would get her to a vet as soon as possible as she could possibley have an abscess in her mouth.

MA

default_unsure.png
: How is she this morning, any better?

default_pray.gif
:

Ash

I'm pretty sure it's not colic. I've seen horses with colic and she doesn't act uncomfortable. She is eating her hay right now still slowly but acted hungry. I gave her some easter jellybeans that she really liked. I definatly think its a teeth thing. I gave them warmed up water the water in the trough was frozen. STUPID COLD!!! I saw my other horse take a quick swig but i haven't seen if she has yet. She probably isn't thirsty, right now. I'm going to give her carrots and soaked oatmeal. Is that ok?? They seem to like oatmeal,it's petty much the same thing as oats isn't it? When i looked into her mouth the outside tooth in the front of the mouth looked about half the size of the other one. She is four, could that tooth just be coming in causing pain?

She has a sore mouth,its on the bottom in back on HER RIGHT SIDE top and bottom. She also says she has something going on with her sinuses.It also can be tooth related.

She also says her tummy burns, it seems like an inflamed area to me.

Good luck with the vet hope you can get the dental work needed done.

Bonnie

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't rule out colic!!! I recently had two horses colic at the same time (my filly 5 hours after my gelding), and they displayed the signs you are describing along with several others. There are MANY signs of colic and they depend very much on the individual horse. Both of my horses had very different signs, but neither rolled or looked at their flanks or stood weird or layed down at all. My filly had nasty smelling breath, and the vet described that as the odor that couldn't go out the back side...had to make it's way back out the front side.

I wouldn't doubt that she has a tooth problem as well, as I know that both of mine need a good floating, and that could have actually played a part of them getting colic. My appointment for last Thursday was cancelled, because my vet broke his neck in a horse related accident. Just please, please, please keep an eye on her, if it is on the brink of becoming an impaction colic, the hay you are feeding can actually add to the impaction. Best of luck to you and your girl.

I'm watching her closely i promise.
Please listen to Bonnie!
default_yes.gif
: She knows what she's talking about. I suspected a tooth problem as well...she is at the age of losing teeth & adult teeth coming in. The foul breath is typical of a sinus problem...but could be stomach related too.

She is fine. Eating and drinking. I haven't checked her breath but i think maybe my horses were in a fight amd she was jsut acting strange because if that. But i am still watching her close

Latest posts

Back