Maggie tooth problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Maggie has been tossing and shaking her head for about a week now, when trying to drink water. Acts like it is biting her.
I go out with a very warm bucket of water and she will drink it all.
She is also not eating all her Low starch breakfast.. she doesn't get much.

Had the Vet and she couldn't see anything. Did file a couple of points, but said her teeth look good.

OK,, she is not acting good. sigh ~~

I am worried she has the start of a cavity or a periodontal pocket.

Will see if taking care of the points help, but I have never seen a horse, with just a point or two act like she has a cavity.

Vet also,, did not have a tech to hold Maggie's head up, or any equipment to do so. Even the mouth piece, was way, way to big for her. They have nothing Mini sized.
The metal jaw piece pressing into her right eye something fierce. Kind'a ticked me off.

So I put my hand in that area, to keep the pressure off her eye, while holding Maggie's head up, and trying to balance myself and keep us both up right.
Am going to pay for holding Maggie's head up. sigh ~~

What is it with this area of VA, anyway.. that only the Vets show up and expect the owners to do the heavy work?

Every where else I have lived, the Vet always had a tech with them.

Miss Dr Vetter.... and his mobile Dentist trailer...plus his tech help and knowing a lot about Miniature horses.

Seems like I am the only one in this area with Miniature Horses and Icelandics. Very frustrating.

I honestly don't have the money to get the dental equipment for the miniature horses. But I am going to need to find the way to afford at least the Miniature Horse speculum.

Any idea who makes a good one?

Shari,

This is my equine dentist. She travels to several states and may come your way. If not, perhaps she knows someone. She is board certified. She has the speculum for the tiniest ones. I cannot recommend her highly enough. [email protected]

Perhaps some bloodwork? That might be cost effective for you. At least you would know if she had an infection--tooth or something else.

Have you tried a dose of banamine to see if she is more comfortable?

I hate it when our long-time friends aren't right. Poor Maggie!

Thank you Marsha, will email her.

Yes, I used the last of the Banamine on her, but I need to get more. It helped.

This vet, didn't have a small lighted camera, mirror.... nothing. Sure she is a good Vet, just doesn't have any dental equipment, not what I expected to see any way.

Marsha, Your Equine Dentist emailed back quickly. She doesn't come to this area, but she is going to ask around and see if there are any good ones in this area of VA that can help.

Just another thought, any chance she could have the start of ulcers? They often don't eat their feed (still eat hay) and will play in water without always drinking (just guessing that there is a difference between warm and cold water and how it might feel on a stomach with ulcers).

Sounds like you have dental stuff under control (or getting there with looking for someone).

Maggie is not acting like she has Ulcers. She drinks or tries to drink cold water, and she tosses and shakes her head like it hurts. So I am pretty sure something is going on with her teeth.
If I give her really warm water,,, she drinks the water right up. So she is cold sensitive.

She is chewing carefully,, like she is trying to eat on one side of her mouth but its hard for her to do so.

Just wish the Vet here had the proper equipment... she did not have one of those tiny lighted cameras, no mirrors, no good lighting.. nothing. All she could do is stick her hand in Maggie's mouth...
That is not going to tell you if she has a cavity, hair line split in a tooth or a periodontal pocket. sigh ~~

Vet goes... well some horses don't like cold water. Felt like beating my head on the bricks. Really.. Nooo... Lets see Maggie is 20 years old,, there abouts.. never once had a problem drinking cold water.
I have had her since she was 4 years old.

When say, something is wrong with one of my animals... there is something wrong. sigh ~~ Wish the Vets here would listen.

Since she does not have the right equipment, most probably she has no idea how to PROPERLY float teeth and could end up doing more damage than good. Best to get a professional equine dentist.

Been trying to find one in this area... nothing so far,,,,
default_sad.png
And yes, that is what I am afraid of, them doing more harm than good.,

I agree with jean. But since you can't find one look up your vets clinic and see who they specifically recommend/the best. If they say all of there vets are then well that's a load of #$$#.

But my floater will take her time sometimes quite a few hours. And the whole time telling me about the ridges and so on. Luv her to death, she also takes my roos lol
default_smile.png

I would ask the vet if an xray could point something out that she could not see just by looking. Maybe her equipment bumped a root wrong. There are many things. But sensitivity like that is not fun.

Tip for the warm water: I met a chicken lady a while back who took fish tank heaters and put them in glass bottles. They worked as a heater. She could turn the temp up if needed. Only problem is I don't know what type of liquid she used inside of the bottle... The liquid prevented the bottle from cracking. Maybe someone on here has heard of this teqnique.

I have a tank water heater. But Maggie wants the water much, much warmer than any heater will heat the water too.

I am looking online for Equine Dentists... in the State of VA, to do anything but a float they have to have the Vet here too. So I have to pay for two people. Beyond stupid.

Was just hoping there where other mini people in this area of VA, that would know the low down on who to use as an Equine Dentist.

Right now, the only option I have is asking the Vet for Xrays.

I just went through all this stupid stuff, with my Cat Sadie and a very UN-knowledgeable Vet.Took everything I had not to scream in her face. Ended up having to take Sadie to a ER... cost me $6,000 before I had to give up and let her go. peeved me off, that other Vet

acted like I was over reacted and didn't know anything.

If I have to go through that again with Maggie...

About having to have the vet--I thought that also and called my vet about it. He even gave me the sedative dose the dentist uses and saw no reason why he had to be there. So, discuss it with your vet and see what he/she thinks. Probably he won't want to be bothered to be there. The reason the vet has to be there is because of the sedative administered. Most dentists do this routinely and are fully capable. Even though mine is board certified, the law still said vet must be present. AFter that first awkward visit, 3 years ago, when I tried to coordinate everything between vet and dentist, we don't bother any more. I don't think vets really like working on miniature teeth, so he is probably relieved I've found a dentist.

If Maggie has some serious things going on in her mouth, it's possible you may wish the vet to be there, in case of complications. She may need antibiotics, which you will need from the vet. I doubt the vet will allow the procedure on his premises due to insurance, but it doesn't hurt to ask. That would save a farm call cost.

Edye charges $125; she has a tech with her. Don't know how that compares in price to your area.

Its crazy spendy here. Might be cheaper to rent a trailer and drive Maggie over to Dr Vetter in WA state. Am sooo frustrated.

I have emailed a couple of equine Dentists,, not sure if they are still practicing or willing to come to my area.

All the other emails have bounced back and the phone numbers do not work. :p

Where are you in VA?There are quite a few very nice Mini farms and breeders in VA who might be able to help you.Dona Gough is in Richmond area .Cheryl Powell is a vet in NC who breeds Minis and has lots of contacts everywhere.there is someone out there who will be able to help you.Lets get the word out.there is a Mini club somewhere in VA.I know they will have info. Bess Kelly is south of Virginia Beach.there are others out there.

Just stumbled on this thread. Had a mare act the same way several years ago, it was a fractured tooth and the crack went into her gum and she was acting like she had very sensitive teeth. My vet had to get down on her kneew to exam this girl and even though I didn't see it she did. Once she pulled the tooth I had to clean the gum twice a day with warm salt water, and she also was on antibiotics. Turned out fine.

Glad you were able to get help Riverrose!

I have been turned down by two so far... one is on Cart Mitz's list of great horse dentists. Her name is Hanina Hyde. She is around 2 hours away from me.

Don't have a trailer and Maggie won't fit in the back of my Honda Pilot.

Only one more that might come out here.... and I don't know if she is any good or not.

Bevann, I am in Caroline County VA.... seems like I sunk into a dead area as far as good animal help is concerned. I am getting sooo frustrated I feel like crying.

I have never lived any where before... where I couldn't get my animals good help. Hate this (this area) stupid State!!!!!!

Good grief this is Maggie I am talking about...
default_crybaby.gif
default_closedeyes.gif

Well, I "Think" I found a recommend equine Dentist (via Carl Mitz's crew) with Vet in tow.
But she doesn't take the Care Card.
Pretty much tapped out after Sadie...

Maggie will see her on Tuesday the 16th... just hope Maggie doesn't get worse before she can get here.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a town near you?I may still be able to put you in touch with some other Mini people.Great bunch of nice caring Mini owners here on the east coast.I'm in DE but know lots of people having been in Minis for almost 30 years.

Thank you Marsha!

That would be great Bevann. Most close town is Bowling Green, farther out... Fredericksburg, Ruther Glen, Hanover, Ashland..

Latest posts

Back