My mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerminis

Reaction score
My mare Slaney was covered in hand over 3 days - June 14th to June 16th which gave her a due date of May 12th at 330 days. She didnt show a season after the covering but then in Sept. and on and off since could take to flirting with the boys through the fence.

She has been scanned twice - external scans in October and Feb and we could make out uterus and fluid and on last scan I think we caught sight of a limb so were happy she was in foal.

In feb she sprouted a large bag - most unusal for this mare so vet treated her with Antibiotics for 10 days and it did reduce some and even Slaney looked like someone had let the air out of her because she was massive.

She has been in a dry pen since January and fed Hay and some stud balancer twice a day and gets access to grass a few hrs every other day - she was so massive I was worried about her.

I gave her a clip under her belly as she was shedding like mad and very uncomfortable so she is delighed with her clip and much happier but I found a very strange thing on her udder once all the hair was gone.

My vet had a look and he showed pics to a dermatologist and they reckon its Papillomas like they get on their nose and nothing to worry about it will dry up by itself.

Slaney is now at 323 days and while she has the swelling to the front of her udder her bag really hasnt progressed at all. Maybe I am worrying about nothing but she usually gets a big cow udder around now and I am wondering if these Papillomas are somehow interfering with her. She is not that big to look at but then she wasnt last yr either and has a lovely filly foal - 8 days early.

Here are a few pics of her taken today and her udder - I am curious to hear your thoughts on this.

SlaneyUdder035.jpg

SlaneyUdder007.jpg

SlaneyUdder009.jpg

SlaneyUdder006.jpg

SlaneyUdder029.jpg

SlaneyUdder024.jpg

SlaneyUdder020.jpg

My mare that is due on the 22nd has lots of edema in front of her bag, but the bag itself is still small.

My mare looks more pregnant than yours,(yours does not look that pregnant) but the edema infront of her bag may be an indication of her starting to bag up.

Thanks for that. This is a pic of Slaney taken April 24th 2009 and she foaled 17 days after that (foal was 8 days early) so she was 305 days in the pics.

As you can see she wasnt that big either and if the hair was clipped from underneath then I think she would look similar to how she is looking this yr.

006.jpg

008.jpg

Hiya, didn't I just talk to you a minute ago
default_laugh.png

The mare I have just had foal did not really spring a huge bag this year, and the mare I am waiting on is doing the same.

My grass was very late, and very slow this year, as I have not had a huge amount of rain and it has been cold, so Princess, who is normally the size of a house with an airship wedged in sideways, only threw up half a bag, and one half of that had a mild infection in it, carrying blood in the milk.

Just before she foaled she came into wax, which she has also never done before, and foaled that morning.

She is feeding the foal fine!

This year just seems a little crazy.....

Thanks RF and you might have seen my Rosie post on the colour forum
default_biggrin.png

I suppose I am a little paranoid especially with the Papillomas and the fact that she doesnt look too big.

She is usually so predictable that I could set my watch by her and she usually has a big cow udder to boot.

Never factored in the weather but good to know that your mares are doing somthing similar to slaney
default_blush.png

She is usually so predictable that I could set my watch by her and she usually has a big cow udder to boot.
"Usually" and "predictable"?
default_wink.png

*points to siggy below*

Latest posts

Back