My Mare Bumble Bee @ 378 days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
1st update...

He will be at my farm at 4:30. He is concerned about her size (height wise), how big she is getting, no bags, possibly a dead foal, or founder if the foal has died. :no: :no: . He is going to "try" and get an ultra sound on the foals heart. And possibly palpatate (sp), or try to get the foal to move. I am the first to say that I am a worry wart when it comes to my babies (horses), but better safe than sorry in my book...Please kepp Bee in your thought and prayers that her foal is ok...Theresa & Art

update #2

Vet could not get a clear ultra sound on her. Would not palpatate her. Said he could feel the foal, but could not get it to move :no: He is concerned with her size, said he feels confident about my bred dates. She has a lot of ademia in her milk viens, the foal is very small from what he could feel. He called OU vet center told them of his findings. He talked to 2 vets there, they said it is not unheard of for a mini to up to 370-375 days. They said she is to far in foal for an accurate blood test, that her progesteron levels would be falling at this stage and show her open. "IF" she does not foal in the next 15 days, they want me to bring her OU!!! So we can discuss what needs to be done with her and the foal. I don't care about the $$$$$ I have the money if she needs to go. I love this mare to peices, she is such a sweet heart. Her well being is utmost 1st. I am beside myself with worry for her. Have to go..... :no: Theresa

Update #3

Vet was here today. He is not concerned about her, agrees that her apperance has changed, he beleives the foal is getting into postion. The ademia in her milk veins is going down (alot) she is finally :aktion033: starting to get what is known as a bag!!!! Still very little but a bag none the less
default_wink.png
: I know the dates I bred her. So she might have bred herself. :eek: The vet still thinks she is bred by my bred dates, she just is not ready to have her baby yet, and he still thinks it will be small baby. Poor baby she has made sores on her back legs from pushing all the time. And when she lays down it is such an ordeal for her, even when she pees she looks like a contortionist. :eek: The benedryl worked for her ant bites. She is all healed up from that. So I am still on mare stare. :new_shocked: :lol: :lol: The vet will be out again next weekend to check on her. I have already put his children thru college, now I am working on his grandchildren. Needless to say this LIKES me and my checkbook!! :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Baby!!

If the foal had died the mare would abort within 36 hours- or try.

My guess is she is not in foal.

Sorry the Forum took this and posted it before I had finished!!!

Edited to add,

She may well also not be due to the dates you had thought????

Poor Baby!!

The vet was out 2 weeks ago had the foal moving, no movement since. We are hoping that "somehow she got bred without our supervision, thru the fence ect...althought that is highly doubtful. My mare pasture is 18" higher than our stud pasture....I thought the mare would abort also. But the vet said maybe not if it is in a sterile enviroment, or the sack had not broken..Hopefully we will find out today...

Just a thought on getting baby to move. You can even do it while the vet is there, while the ultrasound is out.

Hopefully your mare will let you do this. Hold a pair of clippers (or anything that vibrates), turned on, just in front of her udder and move them around. I've never had a fetus that this didn't upset into moving and jiggling and letting us know just what he/she thought about that :bgrin

Just a thought on getting baby to move. You can even do it while the vet is there, while the ultrasound is out.

Hopefully your mare will let you do this. Hold a pair of clippers (or anything that vibrates), turned on, just in front of her udder and move them around. I've never had a fetus that this didn't upset into moving and jiggling and letting us know just what he/she thought about that :bgrin
I will try anything!!! And she is good with clippers....
default_yes.gif
: You can bet I will have my eyes on that ultrasound screen :new_shocked: :lol: . I have had vet tech exper. so hopefully I will be able to see the foals heart... :aktion033:

Poor Baby!!

Sorry the Forum took this and posted it before I had finished!!!

Edited to add,

She may well also not be due to the dates you had thought????
That is what we are hoping for...

Well I hope your mare and foal are okay...hopefully she's just baking a little longer than most!! I have a mare here that is at 364 days right now....she's been bagging for the last month....and is definitely wider than she is tall. No sleep with her around!! Let us know how she is after the vet comes.

I am in the same boat :new_shocked: My vet was out this morning to do health certs on my show horses and I had him check my mare who is 362 days today! She was starting to develop a bag 6 or 7 weeks ago and then progress stopped. She is huge, she is not loose behind, not much of a bag and I have not seen movement either. The vet did not ultrasound, but he listened to her belly and said he could hear and feel the baby move. He is not concerned yet, said to give her another week (ANOTHER WEEK WHAT LOL!). If she starts to look to big he will induce her (thats a whole nother topic we won't go into here), so she better go this week. She is 20 this year and has had several foals and is an old reliable type. My friend leased her and bred her back so I am hoping she wrote her dates down wrong.

Good luck with your mare and keep us updated on her progress!

Ahh! I've been waiting all day since your emails earlier! I'm dying to know what happens. I'll keep checking this post and my in box for your news. My fingers are crossed!

Oh, I'm so praying that everything is okay with your mare and baby.

I'll say a prayer for her and the foal.

Did you try the clippers?

We had the same situation 2 years ago. Vet etc panicing and implying that the foal was so small that it would be a dwarf etc didn't move so came back a week later and checked the blood flow though the placenta - turned out the blood flow was fine and the cord was not twisted, but they kept saying the foal was very very small. The mare foaled several days after the utlra sound was a complicated red bag birth and the foal to me looked like a fescue baby with a very long coat and and hoofpads, and didn't have much muscle tone and was not overly small as the vet had said, she commented that the foal must have been positioned very low and was obviously not a dwarf.

Here she is at 18months old..

fillyweb01.jpg

I'll say a prayer for her and the foal.

Did you try the clippers?
Yes we did...I am trying not to panic..
default_crybaby.gif
: ..and hope for the best. I really do not want to induce her, I have heard horrible stories on that subject..The vet did not say anything on the foal being a dwarf. I have been outside getting my trailer ready for the trip to OU in case we have to take her. Glad I checked, It had a flat tire
default_wacko.png
: and was in about 8" of mud. It took us an hour to pull it out.... :eek: Please Pray she has the foal on her own within the next 15 days...
default_pray.gif
:

My longest gestation was 363 days. At the end they run out of room and often do not move around a lot.

There is some movement when they turn and get in position to foal. But often we miss it.

Some of my mares have not bagged up until after they foal.

I certainly understand your worry. I do believe the foals come out when they are ready.

Did your vet do an abdominal or rectal ultrasound?

Relax... and just wait. I know its hard but I'm sure she'll have that baby when she's good and ready to. At least that's what my vet told me last year. Banner was hand bred one time, so I knew the date for certain. She hadn't started to bag up yet at day 340 and I was worried... don't think we started to see any signs of anything until around 360. She delivered at 372 days, perfect little filly weighing 19 lbs!! I found out later that she carried her previous foal 368 days, so I guess she just likes to cook them longer. And for your information, I heard rumor that the longest gestation at New Bolton was 408 days -- I'd definately be a basket case by then. Good luck and keep us posted.

prayer.gif

This may be a silly idea, but I want to throw it out IN CASE there's any merrit to it.

Do you have another mare with a newish foal, or someone near you with such??? If so, can you take your mare to that new mom and baby and let her spend just some time seeing her? I'm sure "jealousy" actually can induce some mares to foal early and maybe this would help things along with your mare?

prayer.gif

This may be a silly idea, but I want to throw it out IN CASE there's any merrit to it.

Do you have another mare with a newish foal, or someone near you with such??? If so, can you take your mare to that new mom and baby and let her spend just some time seeing her? I'm sure "jealousy" actually can induce some mares to foal early and maybe this would help things along with your mare?
We only bred Bee for a foal this year, so no other babies here. Bee is the same this am. I let her out in her pasture (dry lot) so she can get some exercise. Finally, no rain this morning. The only other place that has mini babies that is very close to me is REO and she has her hands full at her farm, she probably has more mud damage than I do, and the road (only road) is flooded to her house. And she has a broken foot. I did notice that Dayja, who is going to be a yearling July 21, was smelling her udder this morning. Not trying to suckle, just smelling. I wonder what that means. I have never seen her do that before. But Bee spread out for her...
default_wacko.png
:

I think that can be a sign that she is starting to get ready actually! I've heard others say that mares become more interested in each other's udders as they are close to foaling!

Latest posts

Back