My Mare Bumble Bee @ 378 days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am saying a prayer for you that Bee foals soon with no complications. I have heard that babies really don't move much at the end because they have very little space so maybe that is the case. My mare is sort of following the same pattern as yours. I think we even talked about it in another post when I put in pictures of my girl. You are lucky that you have vets with ultrasounds and stuff like that around you. We have nothing like that way up here. I am heading out on holidays today for a week so I will pray for good news when I get back!!

One of my Arab mares ALWAYS foaled on the day that, by the book (see what you get when you teach a horse to read??
default_smile.png
) she was due.

Then she colicked.

I put her back in foal afterwards but when she showed no sign of foaling on her "due"date I had the Vet out (whinging about wasting his time!!)

Anyway he poked the foal in the eye to prove to me it was still alive, told me it was a tiny foal and went on his way.

Twelve moths after she had been bred, and a full 40 days after she had been due, she gave birth to the BIGGEST foal she had ever had in her life.

Do NOT induce- If I had induced the foal would have died.

You do not know what is going on in there, you do not even know for certain when she was bred, it is a judgement call, I know, but, believe me, if the foal had died the mare would have aborted or attempted to abort- sterile environment has nothing to do with it, the only exceptions are twins, when one dies the hormones from the other can keep the pregnancy going.

That even is very rare.

Horses are not like people in this respect or dogs.

When the pregnancy ends the body rejects the baby.

One of my Arab mares ALWAYS foaled on the day that, by the book (see what you get when you teach a horse to read??
default_smile.png
) she was due.

Then she colicked.

I put her back in foal afterwards but when she showed no sign of foaling on her "due"date I had the Vet out (whinging about wasting his time!!)

Anyway he poked the foal in the eye to prove to me it was still alive, told me it was a tiny foal and went on his way.

Twelve moths after she had been bred, and a full 40 days after she had been due, she gave birth to the BIGGEST foal she had ever had in her life.

Do NOT induce- If I had induced the foal would have died.

You do not know what is going on in there, you do not even know for certain when she was bred, it is a judgement call, I know, but, believe me, if the foal had died the mare would have aborted or attempted to abort- sterile environment has nothing to do with it, the only exceptions are twins, when one dies the hormones from the other can keep the pregnancy going.

That even is very rare.

Horses are not like people in this respect or dogs.

When the pregnancy ends the body rejects the baby.
Thanks Rabbit....I have no intentions of inducimg her..I have sat myself down and had a long talk..We are going to ride this out, but we are going to be prepared if things start to go wrong. She appears to be fine just miserable. I will let the forum know if things change. She is standing by herself in the pasture. Usually she is in the middle of everyone. I just wish she would develop a bag... Thanks for everyones adivice and support, prayers...Theresa & Art

I haven't read this whole topic, but I would like to offer my opinion on inducing a mare. DON'T! Of all of the times I know of a mare being induced, even at the best equine hospitals and teaching universities, the outcome was not good. The best outcomes were C-sections.

I'm going to be praying for a beautiful, healthy foal and easy, normal delivery.

Charlotte

Oh, I would say too, she may not bag up! Two of my mares did that to me this year! One I wasn't watching ... well, she was on camera, but not Breeder Alert. Frank woke me up snoring and as I turned over I looked at the monitor. Guess what I saw?!?!? Red foaling! Do you think thare was an angel stitting on that stall wall? Baby was delivered by the time I got there and I couldn't get the sack to tear! Finally got it torn and baby is fine, but someone besides me was looking after little Holly.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add another kind of experience on inducing labor--although it is definitely NOT something I would consider having done w/o a pretty compelling reason, I have had two inducements done, and both went just fine. On one, the mare was overdue, and I knew my trusted vet was going to be out of town for SEVERAL days,so I asked him about it. He said he would, but ONLY if everything was 'just right'. He came and checked the mare twice daily for several days until he was comfortable that she was actually 'ready enough'; induced her late in the PM(on day 352), and she delivered several hours later, with him in attendance, but with NO problems whatsoever. The other(I actually don't remember why we induced her, but it was not some frivolous reason!)-he said the same thing, checked her twice daily until she seemed really ready, then induced. She foaled naturally, no problems-but had NO milk. I had frozen colostrum, which we gave her, then my dear vet went EARLY the next AM and got some fresh goat's milk to give her-but by the time he got here, around 7 AM, the mare's milk WAS coming in, and the foal was nursing. He did do the test to determine if she'd 'gotten what she needed' from the colostrum we'd given her--and she HAD, so all was fine!!Both foals continued on, normally, in every aspect. I have always felt that the 'key' to the success of these procedures was the vet checking so closely on the mares, and NOT acting until he felt the mares were actually 'ready' enough for the procedure to be successful.

Sending my best wishes for all to go well for your mare and you!

Margo

Karrel almost didn't get home last night. He had to take the long way around.

Theresa, do you need to borrow a mare & filly?

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help in any way
default_yes.gif
:

Theresa, take it easy. Absolutely DO NOT INDUCE. I've see an Arab mare induced--it was a disaster--lost the foal and the mare.

Miss Bee is an old hand at this and she will be fine. She may have taken matters into her own hands and visited the stallion after you thought she was in foal. I had a mare do this year before last. I had the farrier out last Mar and he had her back leg up and said boy this mare is starting to bag up--said no way the mare had not been with the stallion. Wellllllllllllllll, she had other ideas, sure enough April 17th she had a colt.

Then this year when Queen's colt was born he was HUGE--even though she was pasture bred, Vickie had seen her bred and she should have been due early Apr. Well as it got closer to May and I looked at my records--all of Queens foals have been born in May except 1 and she has foaled anywhere from 307 to 356. Well we believe she carried this one a full year --looked like he was a month old when he arrived--ON May 8th. There is something about the month of May that Queen likes--she is going to cook them till May if at all possible.

I bet Bee will be just fine and she'll give you a healthy foal soon. Take her for a trailer ride see if that helps.

I know you are anxious and concerned. There are several female vets here in OKC that have small hands and could probably palpate her if you get really concerned. They are at Oklahom City Equine Center, and one of them is Dr Kim Rassumsson. She is great!!

Theresa, take it easy. Absolutely DO NOT INDUCE. I've see an Arab mare induced--it was a disaster--lost the foal and the mare.

Miss Bee is an old hand at this and she will be fine. She may have taken matters into her own hands and visited the stallion after you thought she was in foal. I had a mare do this year before last.

I bet Bee will be just fine and she'll give you a healthy foal soon. Take her for a trailer ride see if that helps.

I know you are anxious and concerned. There are several female vets here in OKC that have small hands and could probably palpate her if you get really concerned. They are at Oklahom City Equine Center, and one of them is Dr Kim Rassumsson. She is great!!
Thanks Davie....I am sitting back and watching her :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: ,

How is Bee?? Prayers sent your way!!
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
Bee is the same..SIGH.... I will post some new pics of her soon. Her appearance has changed somewhat to us. The vet called and asked about her yesterday. Wanted to know if we wanted to take her to OU. Told him no, not at this time we were gona wait. He thought that was a good idea, and he will be out the weekend to check on her again...

Wow, you poor thing, having to wait this long! How many days is Bee at now?

I emailed you a few days ago asking about her and I've been worried since I didn't hear back.

The Bee is always in my thoughts!
default_yes.gif
:

Hugs and prayers for you and Bee - hopefully she will have that foal soon!

Back from holidays and wondering about Bee. How is she? I have a mare that I thought would foal in may and still nothing. I know the frustration of ever increasing size and lack of bag. Has me second guessing myself all over the place. Please keep us updated!!

Back from holidays and wondering about Bee. How is she? I have a mare that I thought would foal in may and still nothing. I know the frustration of ever increasing size and lack of bag. Has me second guessing myself all over the place. Please keep us updated!!
According to my breeding dates ( July 01 & 03 of 2006) she is at day 374. And still no bag to speak of.
default_wacko.png
: The ademia (sp) in her milk viens and in front of her udder, is not quite as swollen. She is down more at night, has rubbed her butt so much she is getting blister like sores. :eek: She is just miserable!!! And I am too!!!! I can express clear semi-sticky fluid from her, but she is tired of me always having my hands on her, can't say that I blame her though. I will let you know what the vet has to say on Sat. I have had horses my whole life, 40+ years and this is the first time I feel like a complete idiot!
default_wacko.png
: While he is here I am going to have him ultrasound 2 mares that I bred in May. :eek:

Thank you for updating us. For your sake but mostly for her sake I hope she goes soon!! Yeesh, poor girl!! My breeding dates were just way off here as I bred a first time young stud. I can't imagine the stress you are under. Please let us know what you find out on saturday, or of course if she foals before then.

Ok, I know someone who had a mare go about 382 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was ridiculous, but the mare had the foal just fine on her own with no problems. It just needed a bit longer to 'cook'. Are you sure she couldnt have cycled after and been rebred?

I also had a friend who, years ago, had to DNA five stallions because a mare that was bred to one, didnt settle, so a while later was bred to another- didnt appear to settle. Foaled the next year but the dates didnt seem right. Had been in the barn in a stall.... and she didnt think that stallions 3 and 4 had gotten loose or anything- her stallion #5 had bred her through the fence in the stall- standing straight upright to do it!!

Sounds like if her shape is changing, something is trying to happen.

[SIZE=14pt]Teresa,[/SIZE]

Let me ease your mind a bit! Two years ago we had a 28" mare go 388 days before she foaled! We were blessed with a tiny colt that just turned 2 and stands 24.5" tall! His name is Heza Silver Bullet, aka (BB). :aktion033:

The longest gestation on record, that I could find was 419 days!

Bill

Latest posts

Back