My mare at day 309

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PromiseAcres

Reaction score
Just some pics, I'm just at home waiting... LOL Of course she's out there munchin' hay and demanding belly rubs!
004-9.jpg

003-8.jpg

I'm doing the same here. My mare is 306 days today. Here are her pictures.

jewelside051010.jpg

jewelrump051010.jpg

jewelbag051010.jpg

jewelnoonie051010.jpg

She is 28" tall and this will be her 3rd foal. She is wandering in circles and rolled a few times. Poor girl is so unhappy. Please pray for a pinto filly!! (Dad is pinto)

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks like she's progressing nicely. Can we get an udder pic? Can you express milk and if so can we get a pic of the milk.....is it sticky?

She looks like she's progressing nicely. Can we get an udder pic? Can you express milk and if so can we get a pic of the milk.....is it sticky?
sorry it's too hard to get a pic of her udder by myself.. she's a little touchy about that area....she first got clear milk as of Sat, it's slightly cloudy today and not sticky

last time I went by the milk on her though I woke up to a new foal one morning... so not sure that's a great sign for her

default_smile.png
thanks for your comments

I'm in the same boat as well, have one mare at 310 today and one at 307!

This is my girl that's at 307, she's foaled at 312 (filly) and 333 (colt)

d306.jpg

d306a.jpg

d306b.jpg

And the one at 310, anyone else see the point on her belly? Didn't get an udder pic last night

t309a.jpg

t309.jpg

anyone get lucky with their mares last night? we're still waiting. and don't think I'll be able to be off work tomorrow...

her milk still is only slightly cloudy but is getting very sticky

Danielle, Your mare that is at 309 days (I don't want to insult you )She looks to be quite thin for a mare close to foaling and expected to nurse a foal. Is there any health concerns that she is not carrying more weight this far along in her pregnancy? You probably should bump her food up. Is she getting any alfalfa? None of my mares that are close to foaling are that thin and it won't take long for a nursing foal to pull her way down.Good Luck with her.

No luck here yet and my whole family is flat out with the stomach flu so I hope she holds off. Good luck to you all!!

Hi, I think your mare needs more groceries, as she is very thin to be carring a foal.

I could have sworn that there was another post besides irishroots that mentioned this... perhaps it was deleted by the poster...

PromiseAcres - your little mare does appear to be a bit thin in the photo. She obviously has lots of hay - have her teeth been done lately? I am only trying to help your little mare, the foal to come and of course, you.
hug2.gif

By this weekend I will be joining the rest of you staring at udders and backsides!
default_yes.gif

There was another post from Make A Wish Miniatures.... and the individual that posted it didn't remove it herself.

Danielle, Your mare that is at 309 days (I don't want to insult you )She looks to be quite thin for a mare close to foaling and expected to nurse a foal. Is there any health concerns that she is not carrying more weight this far along in her pregnancy? You probably should bump her food up. Is she getting any alfalfa? None of my mares that are close to foaling are that thin and it won't take long for a nursing foal to pull her way down.Good Luck with her.
she didn't look "ribby" until last week. is on plenty of grain twice a day and all the hay she can eat. she'll get to go on some grass after she foals. I'm thinking that the foal dropping may have something to do with it??? But she is really getting all she wants.

I am sure you are feeding her lots. I know all mares are different,I have some that I really have to up their grain that last month so that the foal won't pull them down too much. Like I said ,even my mares that are dropped and ready to go have more weight on them. I was just trying to help. Sometimes we don't notice our own horses because we see them everyday. I have one little 31 inch mare and I had to up her feed so that i am feeding her more than a 37 inch mare. Good luck I hope she foals soon for you.

Danielle, I hope she waits until the foal is fully cooked! Her condition was the first thing I noticed, also, but please don't be hurt by my saying this because I'm in the process of "fattening" up a few of my own horses who didn't Winter well. After they foal they can drop even more weight very quickly. I was amazed at how much feed I had to put into my nursing mare.

This is probably an isolated incident! How old is this mare? After she foals you could have her teeth checked by a vet or dentist because sometimes when they are getting adequate nutrition they still won't maintain condition well if they need to be floated.

I have a stallion who definitely needs to be floated. He eats and eats and he's very slowly putting on weight.

Just wanted to chime in and say while I saw the mares condition - by no means is she in severe condition. I have seen many mares - big and small - just not able to tolerate pregnancy as well and get the "ribby" look the more the baby pulls down on her. Most bounce back up in weight pretty easily with proper grain and hay. Thankfully with minis, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to put weight back on them!

Maybe you should try increasing her feed and/or offering her some soaked beet pulp? Couldn't hurt to try.

I am still praying that she delivers a foal for you and safely!
aktion033.gif

EDITED TO ADD: AFTER LOOKING AT HER WEBSITE, I AM PRETTY SURE THE MARE WE ARE ALL WAITING TO FOAL IS NAMED "CHEYENNE" AND AS YOU CAN SEE ON HER WEBSITE SHE WAS NICE AND PLUMP.

Maybe try increasing her feed, some mares need lots more than others.

Latest posts

Back