My little guy is sick again.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
Well.....we thought we had all the young'ens over the flu. They were on a full 10 days of Naxel & their temps had been normal for over a week. So we left on a weeks vacation & left them in very capable hands (good horsey friends) while we were gone. We just got back Sunday & all of them looked great...running & playing & eating & pooping....everything normal. Apache still had a slight cough when he ate tho.

Well...tonight I noticed when I let them in, that Apache was coughing much more than normal & acting a bit lethargic. I checked his dam's bag & it was down, so I knew he was nursing, which was good. I took his temp & was shocked to see it at 104.4!!!! It wasn't near that high when he had the flu a couple weeks ago & had stopped nursing altogether!

I immediated started him on the Naxel again & if his temp isn't down by morning will get the vet back out to see what he thinks. Keeping a close watch on him on the stall moniter in the meantime. So far, he has been acting pretty normal...nursing, nibbling at hay, laying down to rest...then back up.

I just HATE IT when my babies are sick!!!!
sad.gif
I get the biggest knot in the pit of my stomach!

Last edited by a moderator:
dona

im so sorry!! i know how worried you must be. Sending prayers

Dona

So sorry your little guy is sick. I hope the meds kick in quickly and he is better by morning.

Cheryl

Hi Donna, Hope your little baby is soon better!

[SIZE=14pt]Keeping your little Apache in our thoughts and prayers.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Dona

I hope your little guy bounces back quick!

I know what you mean about the knot

in the stomach
sad.gif
(

Sandy

Definitely check with your vet. Even after a regimen of Naxcel, our little filly was just not back 100%. Turned out she had pneumonia and had to go on stronger meds and be quarantined from the other foals. It seems to take these babies so long to get over these viruses, it's enough to drive you crazy!

OH no I hate this. I'm sorry Dona and hope he's going to get over this bug really soon too.

Oh Dona sorry your litte one is still sick...Keep a close watch on him (of course I know you will)..paryers coming your way for his temp to stay down and for him to completely recover..

Dona, sending wishes and prayers Apache will be better very soon!!!

I can fully understand the worry...keep us posted, please....

Dona-

Prayers coming your way. I hope he is better soon.

I'm so sorry to hear Apache still isn't feeling well. I can imagine how worried you must be. Please let us know how he's doing.

How's Apache doing, now, Dona?

I know exactly how you feel, I get this pall over my whole existence when one of them is off or sick in the slightest. I hope soon he's doing well for you.

Liz M.

Thank you all for your concern. Apache's temp was back down to 100.5 this morning....up to 101.8 tonight tho. Thankfully....he is still nursing, eating, drinking, pooping normal. Still hacking really bad tho.
sad.gif
Feel so bad for him & wish I could make it all go away NOW. We up'd his shots to twice a day & Vet will be back out on Friday to check him out thoroughly.

Back