My horses are frustration me :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nichcole

Reaction score
The weather has been super cold and everthing has been frozen . We got some rain this morning and the ground has de-thawed a little but it is still froze about a 1inch down.

My horse have been running full blast all day. My mini stallion and my prego mare have been doing laps and my stallion did a lovely little roll, he then proceeded to get up and ran around some more.

One of my big horses was running full blast and went to turn and all four feet went out from under him and he fell flat on his side. His right hind leg is sore and he was not walking on it much, after awhile he seems to be walking around better but I can really tell he is sore.

Why do horse have to try and hurt themselves? I can never get caught up with thier vet bills
default_smile.png

They are like kids!! I call my horses nut balls when they act like well... nut balls!!!

I hope our horses pain eases up or it will be time out for them!!!

I just can't belive them. I have six big hores and the two minis , they were all just thinking they were funny.

I will see how my gelding is doing in the morning and call the vet out if he needs it. The vet was just out two days ago too!!!

yup, same here. Every time I think I am almost breaking even, a big vet bill pops up, or the washer dies or the truck won't start , you know the drill.

Robin

I keep going out and checking on him. He is walking around on his own choice so i don't think he fractured his hip. I gave him some bandamine to help with the pain and I will keep walking him around everyonce in a while. Its seems to get better the more he moves around.

I've had friends that have had hip x-rays and bone scans done and we are looking at $800 to $2000 dollars. He is our favorite horse so we will do whats needed.

We have a lot of crusted snow and icy conditions here too, and our horses are getting very bored and frustrated. I give them extra hay and more toys to play with. One found a buried jolly ball yesterday and you would have thought it was buried treasure! We also took some for walks down the drive which is plowed but still not the best traction. Of course they wanted to run anyway! I had to confine ours for a couple of days to small areas that I covered with used bedding to supply traction. Used bedding - even the manure alone - works pretty well and is readily available. I know of way too many horses (big ones) that have broken their legs in these conditions and have had to be put down. My big horse now has his studded shoes in front, but still manges to slip a bit on his bare hind feet. At least he is sensible enough not to try to run in these conditions. I sure hope your horse is going to be OK.

As messy and yukky as it sounds I have been taking the stuff I clean out of the stalls daily and just dumping and raking it out in the paddocks for them to walk on. Looks like ewwww but nobody slips. Hope things get better.

Your minis are as dorky as mine!! Mine slip, fall, then get up again and start running more. :DOH!

They never learn...

Someone once told me "if there's a way a horse can hurt itself, it'll find it!" :DOH! Poor guy! When I hurt myself, it always seems to hurt worse and to take longer to get over when it's cold. Glad to hear he seems to be feeling a little better.

I am so glad to see this post. I just thought MY horses were completely crazy!! Same where I am at in Oregon lots of snow and ice and insanely running mini horses!! Today my yearling gelding fell and the four year old was going so fast right behind him he couldn't stop in time so we had ***holes and elbows everywhere!!! The yearling got up mad as heck at the four year old and the chase was on again!! I don't mean to be such a mother hen but is it OK for them to be getting so hot and sweaty when it is this cold?? Can't they get sick?? They are running like they've lost their little minds!!

Gina

Last edited by a moderator:
We just got a inch of snow this morning and seem to know they cannot run full blast anymore.

Our horses are glad we love them so much!!!! My Gelding is doing much better, I have been giving him some bandamine once a day, putting Absorbine on the the sore legs and ribs to help get more circulation in to that area. He seems to be walking around good on his own but I go out there and walk him around several times a day.

We are preatty sure he is just bruised, he has just a tiny bit of swelling. I will give him a bunch of time off anf then start legging him up agian.

Latest posts

Back