My foal is sick, need advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmyracker

Reaction score
My foal is running a fever, 104.3 last night and now 104.1 this morning. She won't eat her grain and is grazing a little. I checked her gums and she isn't dehydrated. Of course, the vet can't be reached today. Should I give her some bute? She doesn't seem to be in pain, just very listless.

I would watch for signs of Colic. If shes not eating... keep an eye on her intake. And if something were to happen, I am sure the vets are on call for emergencys?
default_unsure.png

i would give your foal some banamine to bring the fever down i wouldn't use bute as it can be very toxic if given to much, try just to get her comfortable for now does your vet have someone on call??

I would use Banamine to bring the fever down, but I would also treat the fever. Do you have Penicillin or Sulfate tablets? I always have both on hand for just such a problem.

If she has a fever, she has an infection brewing somewhere. Many a time giving her the tablets (1/2 2x a day for a foal) or a shot of penicillin 1x a day if long acting for a week to 10 days, should cure what is ailing your foal.

I would use Banamine to bring the fever down, but I would also treat the fever. Do you have Penicillin or Sulfate tablets? I always have both on hand for just such a problem.
If she has a fever, she has an infection brewing somewhere. Many a time giving her the tablets (1/2 2x a day for a foal) or a shot of penicillin 1x a day if long acting for a week to 10 days, should cure what is ailing your foal.

This sounds like good advice. I hope you can get a hold of a vet someplace. I'm sure you can somewhere. I'll say a prayer for both of you, that you will have a healing hand and that she will get to feeling better. Take care, TJ

This sounds like good advice. I hope you can get a hold of a vet someplace. I'm sure you can somewhere. I'll say a prayer for both of you, that you will have a healing hand and that she will get to feeling better. Take care, TJ
Ditto, keep an eye on fecal and urine output. Including the consistancy of the manure and the color of the urine for signs of dehydration. And don't let her eat unless she is passing manure.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
We gave her some banamine. We don't have any penicillian. Hubby is calling around to friends to see if anyone has any. We only have one vet in this area and he refuses to come out unless it is a "true" emergency, his words. He hates miniatures too so he won't do a lot for them. I wish we had another vet! She is drinking a lot so I'm sure she isn't dehydrated. I haven't seen her poop yet. I'm so worried. I hate when they are sick, espescially the weanlings.

Ditto - again on the banamine (not bute) and PCN. (SMZ 1 800-960per 80 lb horse 2 x daily - this is what I use) I would make sure she is getting plenty of fluids whether you think she is dehydrated or not. They do dehydrate with a temp., that does not always appear to the gums, eyelids.

Good luck, with the banamine and her feeling better she should start eating for you. I would keep her on hay only for a while tho., if she were my horse, unless she won't eat it then I would give her what she will eat, perhaps small amounts more often.

Take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Beth

* Make sure you find "equine" PCN and not the one marked for cattle. Sure do wish you could get a hold of a vet, so they can give you dosage to use of each of the above. It is much better coming from a Vet what you need to give her.

most high fevers i have seen in foals is strangles. be sure and check for lumps a long the jaw line. Can be hard to see this time of year due to winter hair. Strangles does come on in winter unfortunately. sending good thoughts

Any respiratory infection can come with a high fever--flu, rhino, EVA...it doesn't have to be strangles to have a high fever. The banamine was a good treatment, but it's too bad you cannot get some antibiotics. antibiotics, of course, won't help with a virus, but they will ward off a secondary bacterial infection, and if it happens to be bacterial and not viral then it will help.

At the first sign of a foal being off its feed we start giving antibiotics. I'm not big on penicillin, for two reasons--I dislike having to inject the stuff, and more importantly I haven't found it to be particularly effective for the respiratory infections we've had here. I much prefer the oral Uniprim, and when that doesn't work I use Excenel. With older horses I will take a wait and see approach, but not with the foals.

I'd think you can buy penicillin from your feed store? We can here--it's not a prescription so we don't have to buy it from a veterinarian. The Uniprim and Excenel do have to come from the vet, and I am sure glad that we have vets who will give us those medications on request. Is there another vet some distance further away that you can go to. Depending what "bug" your baby has you may be needing something more than just the banamine.

Let's hope, though, that this is just a viral thing that will run its course very quickly, and your foal will be feeling better again real soon. How is she doing tonight?

Give 1/2 cc Banamine IM, if you cant give it in the vein, but give it! and put her on PCN, if that is all you have , Baytril 1 cc daily is the best in combination with 5 cc PCN ( the PCN given twice a day), to treat infection. Baytril is a great broad spectrum antibiotic, and where it is weak, the PCN is strong. I use this combination for everything, and it has NEVER let me down. Hope all goes well.

How is your foal doing? It has been some time since we last heard from you.

I hope she is much better by now.

Beth

Please, please do not use Baytril on a young, growing horse without a vet monitoring. I have been told by more than one vet Baytril can cause joint damage and arthiritis when used on young growing horses. There are many other options out there much safer.

Please, please do not use Baytril on a young, growing horse without a vet monitoring. I have been told by more than one vet Baytril can cause joint damage and arthiritis when used on young growing horses. There are many other options out there much safer.

I absolutely agree about the Baytril. It should not be used in young growing horses at all- direct info from my vet within the past two months. Please choose something safer.

Hope your baby is doing better tonight.

Peggy

Back