My First Time Ever, I went to the jail....Michael's killer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
The inmates are running the asylum and that’s the truth.

The more I find out about our justice system, the more I am amazed at how it continues to protect the criminals and so quickly forgets about the victims and the trail of destruction caused by them. I have worked for years now trying to help other families who suffer a situation like we do and trying to get things changed but this is one reason why sometimes I throw my hands up in the air in frustration.

In our State, a law was passed back in the 80’s that entitles being a good prisoner would equal what I call “brownie points” towards good behavior. Good behavior points equal days off their sentence. The advantage of being a career criminal is learning how to work the system. Michael’s killer is an expert on working the system to the tune of… get this: 37 days off of his sentence a month….(and we all know there is no 37 days in a month). He has managed to earn a ton of brownie points cutting days, weeks, months, and yes years off of his time, and now he will be released from jail before Christmas. We still do not know exactly why he was never sent to the State Prison.

Forty-eight hours ago the phone rang at the crack of dawn by someone who keeps tabs on the goings on at the jail. He wanted to know if I knew what was going on there this time. In the past we have been notified of all sorts of insane things that go on there that would make any law abiding tax payer hit the roof, but this time it involved the animal that killed my son.

It seems that Michael's killer has been allowed to enjoy life while incarcerated and I have a big problem with that. It’s been going on for a long time and we only just found out because it only recently hit the news. The jail has a band! How nice for the inmates; and he is a member of that band who gets to sing and play his guitar. However I got very upset when I found out that this jail house band is allowed out of jail to entertain at public local functions such as the county fair, festivals, churches and nursing homes so yes, I have a huge problem with that and I want it stopped. If I had a loved one in a nursing home I certainly would not want a 2 time killer serenading him! Seems to me this piece of trash is supposed to be in jail because he is a career criminal and is a dangerous person. I was absolutely floored when I learned that he is allowed to leave the confines of the jail to go out into the public and entertain.

I thought when someone was in jail or prison they should do some kind of work, labor, make license plates, pick up trash, do something to atone for their sins, but this is not the case as I found out and this crack-head is having a great time.

I was so distraught I had one heck of a meltdown, became physically sick for hours. Then I got mad. I think I called every government agency in the State; just wait till Hus gets the phone bill. I spoke to the probation department, the parole office, the District Attorney’s office, The County Commissioners, the Attorney General’s office, and Michael’s Attorney’s office raising cane and demanding something be done and they all agreed but had no answers for me. But guess what is the bottom line here? Your local sheriff can do anything they want to. NOBODY is over the Sheriff, no place, no where, no how. NOBODY. That’s because a Sheriff is an elected official by the people and only the people can get him out of office; and to do that, you have to wait until the next election which is not soon.

I think the Sheriff is so out of line in the way he runs his jail it is shocking it sickens me. He wasn’t there (I was told he comes and goes) after I waited for him to show up for two days, and he doesn’t take appointments according to his secretary, (she’s very nice) but I was able to speak to the Deputy in charge of the inmates for all the good that it didn’t do, but I had to try.

I did try, Michael my love.

Don’t get me wrong; there are a lot of wonderful cops and deputies that my boys are friends with who are good guys and they do a lot of good and make great busts; but again, I think this case the Sheriff is out of line in allowing this band to perform outside the jail in public, especially when the public is not aware that a murderer is part of their band. Once again I don’t want your pity or sympathy; I just want you to know how our justice system can fail the victim.

Last edited by a moderator:
People make mistakes but people do deserve a chance.

I realize it was your son, and nothing and nobody can bring him back. But if you dont start to heal yourself the rest of your family is going to suffer even more, they should be your priority right now. I can bet MIchael isnt up there cheering you on, yet I bet he is wishing you to move on and be happy and celabrate the life he did have. He may be physically gone but he is there with you everyday.

As for the system, I wont go there. I have studied the system and that is where my job is.

People make mistakes but people do deserve a chance.

Some people do Ashley, but not this one.....he has killed twice, and attempted to murder two other times, plus leaves a list of felonies a mile long. Just how many chances should he have? He is dangerous. This is not something that heals and goes away, but yes we do try to move on everyday best we can and we do celebrate Michael's life. All I can say to you is that I hope no one every hurts your child in any way shape or form, ever.

Granted nobody has tried to harm my child in that way, however I did have a strange man that tried taking my child, I have some what of an idea whats like.

That said, the prison system is lacking, good days..........not I dont feel that is a bad thing. THey are lacking the proper health care the inmates need. They cant get help in the system and they are not going to get better if they are locked up, key thrown away and treated as scum.

Oh Marty...I feel your frustration!
default_sad.png
The justice system sucks, and it isn't fair for those of us who live lawfull, moral lives. My aunt was married to a man who after their divorce, he decided that he wanted to start a life of crime. He kept going to jail, and each time his crimes would get worse and worse. Finally, he ended up on America's Most Wanted because he was an accomplice to a kidnapping where the victim ended up with his throat slit (the guy did survive). He only spent a couple of years in prison for that, and he is out amongst us now living back in Ohio. He did apparently meet a woman, and he settled down where he isn't in trouble anymore, but he said it himself...he had it easier in jail, than out of it. He didn't know how to function in society and did crimes so that he could go back. It's sick! And then of course, my sister-in-law murdered her 3 year old daughter and tried to kill her 6 month old (he was revived twice), just because she didn't want the responsibility of being a mother anymore. She pled insanity, and got sentences to almost 10 years in an institution where she later bragged that she had "physical relationships" with other inmates and staff members, and got caught with meth while in there. She too is out and amongst us now. It's sickening and I will NEVER have anything to do with her!

When I worked at the local Jr. High school, we had students who had to spend a week or two in Juvenile Hall. When they came back, they would brag to their friends about how much fun they had. What happened to the days when going to jail was a bad thing??? And now that they've had a taste of the "wonderful life", they have no fear of going there later in their lives.
default_no.gif
Now inmates have grand holiday meals, get to watch movies, play sports, give each other tattoos, lift weights and earn money working. And guess who's paying for all of that!?! Tell me, why is it that an inmate who is in prison for a serious crime is earning money and given wonderful meals 3 times a day, when we have homeless and unemployed people suffering? I totally believe that if inmates were sentenced to a solitary life in their cell with krummy food, no games, tv's, sports, or other luxery items, then maybe people would be a whole lot less inclined to wanting to go back a second time!

Ashley, I agree that people make mistakes but they should have to pay for those mistakes. They shouldn't be "living the life" during their punishment. If it was your daughter or a beloved family member of yours who was a victim, would you be okay with the fact that the person responsible was having a jolly ol' time instead of carrying out a just punishment?

do you really think its that great in there???? Honestly?? If so maybe I should send a few people I know to talk to you, they will tell you what its really like in there. Yes they do those things...........can they? NO If they get caught there is harsh punishment.

They dont know how to function in society because they let them out and do nothing to teach them what the world is like, yet expect them to thrive and be ok.

This idiot has had his chance to be a productive citizen and obviously has no desire to be anything but a criminal. In some states, the three strikes law would keep him locked up for life.

The fact that he is a trustee and out entertaining is horrible. I am glad I do not live in a state where they allow murderers loose to "entertain" the public. He is having himself a good ol' time in jail and that is no punishment at all. He should be locked up with no chance to even go out of the jail unless it is to court for the duration of his sentence.

I believe in second chances but this loser has had a lot more than a second chance to change and made no effort.

Mary

Ditto Mary's sentiments above. Marty I am so sorry you are having to go thru this and the pain I know it brings. <<hugs>>

do you really think its that great in there???? Honestly?? If so maybe I should send a few people I know to talk to you, they will tell you what its really like in there. Yes they do those things...........can they? NO If they get caught there is harsh punishment.
Well, considering that I hung out with mostly gang members during my high school years (the 90's) and know "several" people who have been in prison for all sorts of crimes ranging from petty crimes to murder, I know for a fact that prisoners in California have it really easy in prison. And by the sounds of it, California isn't the only one. I'm sorry, but the older I'm getting, the more I realize that people know what's wrong and right. If you choose to do something wrong, then you deserve to pay the consequences of your actions. And depending on the crime, I don't feel that you should be released out into society to do it again. It's a proven fact that most criminals who do major crimes, have a history of going to jail/prison. If they were as hard on them now days as they used to be, then who would actually want to go back?

I dont think anybody wants to go back, but they dont know how to function " out here" so they do go back. If society prepaired them to live in the real world and function normal it would be easier for them to stay out.

OMG, Ashley! This is sooooo not the thread to be on if you want to defend the penal system!! I can tell that you are a compassionate and caring person, but I find your comments on this thread inappapropriate and distasteful in this context. Even though Marty clearly isn't asking for pity or sympathy here, please show her at least a little support. And as for how "bad" things are "in there", maybe the inmates should have thought of that before they committed and re-committed their crimes!

Marty, I don't blame you one bit for your frustration and anger!! There was a piece on the news tonight about some inmates in a jail in Louisiana who get to go and compete in rodeo! This one guy, who is a double murderer and spending 88 years in jail, said he feels "free" when he makes the 8 seconds on a horse or a bull. FREE! Oh, good for him!! I wonder how FREE his victims' families feel.... EVER. And another guy who plays guitar and entertains folks at fairs, festivals and the like, and gets PAID! I forget where they said "a portion of the proceeds" goes, but I wondered if he got to keep the other portion. Stuff like that just makes my blood boil!!! My heart really goes out to you and your family, Marty.

I dont think anybody wants to go back, but they dont know how to function " out here" so they do go back. If society prepaired them to live in the real world and function normal it would be easier for them to stay out.

Why is it society's fault that these abnormal people haven't figured out how to function?

Sorry......but I totally understand Marty's pain and frustration over this.

I lost my older brother because of two "unfortunates". They were both sentenced for "Life" and were each out in less than 8 years on GOOD BEHAVIOR. They got a second chance and one of them went off and raped a young girl. Lord knows what else he did, but never got caught over.

Interestingly, people in this state finally got tired of the hand-holding and got serious about sentencing by the time the poor girl was viciously raped and the guy got put away for 25 years WITHOUT a parole possibility. And you know who got to make a statement to the judge at the man's sentencing.......and had to relive the H*ll all over again???

Yeah.....they get a second chance, but their victims don't, so please don't feel sorry for the social deviants.

I'm so sorry Marty.......didn't mean to get so carried away.......

Off my soap box and you can flame away.......Good night.

I dont feel sorry for those who do wrong and belong there( I know a few that I think belong there and arnt). By society I mean he halfway houses. We pay for them, they are supposed to train and prepair these people to live in society again and they dont. So why are we paying for them? You cant expect a prisoner to come out after x amount of time and know how to function. after a year in prison there is alot of change.

I think the best prison is the tent citys in the middle of the deserts. I think there are certian offenders that should be sent to them for life( sex offenders and child crimes).

that said, I dont feel I am defending the system, however I think people are to quick to say its all bad.

Marty, I can't even begin to put into words how sorry I am that the system is failing your family and other victims. I come to this from a different perspective, but a totally sympathetic one. My brother--my one and only brother who I love dearly--spent several years in a maximum security prison. For years he broke the law, and for years my family did everything possible to keep him out of prison. I honestly think he got away with it for so long that he thought he would never be punished. He spent many nights in the county jail and always joked (to my crying mother nonetheless) that the jailers were his buddies and were happy to see him again. It wasn't until he was one of the state's ten most wanted that he actually got "hard time." While his crimes weren't violent, I know they caused hardship for many people (his own family included) and in the wrong circumstances could have ended in violence.

What was his reaction to several years in jail? To this day he refers to it as "three hots and a cot." Yes, he watched new releases in jail, ate very well, wore designer shoes and had a TV in his cell. I know he even had visits from girls. He was sent to solitary confinement twice for fighting and still got out very early. When he got out, he honestly thought it was worse having to work at Burger King (because of his record) than it was in jail. After years of working out and fighting in prison, he was well prepared when he joined the UFC. He told me that he wished dealing drugs was legal, because there was nothing else he wanted to do, and he'd learned a lot of ways to improve his business while he was in jail. I was disappointed in the system in a very different way--they didn't rehabilitate my brother, they made him a better criminal. I know that as a victim the system's failure is much more personal to you, but I can tell you that they're not doing the criminals any favors by coddling them either. I hope your complaints give the sheriff and the prison officials a new perspective on their current policies.

(On a side note, it was time, small town politics, and his first child that finally made my brother want to be a better member of society. He still talks about prison like it was summer camp though.)

Again and again I don't want your pity and you don't have to support my views. Its ok and I am for those that feel I am sour grapes you may be right and you can just click out of this thread. I'm just venting. This is not a petty thief, a shoplifter who made a mistake. This is a major criminal who shot his father in the head, tried to kill others in the past, and then of course my son. I am very compassionate, not as cold as you'd like to think so yes I do believe that usually everyone deserves another chance, but not this killer in particular who is a danger to my community that I love and would like to be protected.

They said this was a ministry, they are singing for God, if that makes a difference. My response was Michael played guitar and sang for God too, but he doesn't have a voice on earth anymore, what about him? So easy to forget about Michael and his suffering, and fighting to live for hours I might add. My main point is that he is way too dangerous to be set loose in public for entertainment is ridiculous and come to find out, the sheriff's department told no one that some of these particular band members pose a threat to them should they flee. The Sheriff's department admitted to me there have been a few times, not many, when they perform with only a chaperon, or perhaps the Chaplin and not a even a guard. This is wrong in my opinion. Venting, just venting. I need some sleep obviously.

Once a killer always a killer. Prisons seem to be doing a whole lot of nothing. And IMO if they are rewarding inmates for no reason. They were the ones who chose their lives and did what they did. They just need to suck it up and deal with it. No questions asked they did and thats it end of story. It just seems fitting that they be punished for what they did. There's no reason why they should be rewarded for anything....

Marty, I feel for you. I hate that you had to hear about this guy being rewarded for what he has done. Its a load of BS.

Marty I agree with all you have said , That piece of trash should be locked in a cage for the rest of his life. Is there something I can write, a letter to someone , anything at all to support you? I would be happy to do it . That man was put in jail as a punishment for the horrible things he has done, not to play a guitar , or have outtings. I agree that people in nursing homes should NOT be entertained by murderers. Murderers belong in small cages or to be exicuted. Does the nursing home even know what they have done? I have no respect for people that murder other people, there is only one thing to do with theses beasts .. euithanize them. How long has he been enjoying his jail time anyway? Can a patition be made and signed about the refusal of his release? Call your local news team , and tell them that in a few months a murderer will be set free in the area to murder again. Post signs in the town where he will be set free with his photo , and saying he is a murderer. I have not an ounce of sympathy for people that rape, kill, cheat ,and steal . They are not sorry , and "they made a mistake " does not work with me .I am sorry that along with the pain of loosing your son , you have to feel the hurt , anger and frustration that this "beast" is living a carefree life without remorse, punishment, or accountability. I am 100 % on your side and supporting you, and your feelings. I wish our system had a backbone, it is true our system has failed us over and over again, the only time it does not fail us is when there is an exicution. and dont give me that " but thats killing too "saga" YEA , Its killing 1 to save countless others that the animal will kill when he is set free. Killers seldom only kill one person, they enjoy killing,raping, it gives them control and power they do it until they get caught , and then they do it again when they get out of jail.

I am very, very sorry, and I can feel your pain through your frustration , its not fair, and it makes me sick too , the thought of one more murderer running loose on the streets looking for another victom , possibly a child walking home from school. if this was a drunk driving case , same goes , he will do it again without a doubt.

again I am sorry Marty,

Krissy

DITTO MARTY!!!!!

Jail is JAIL not a country club. It is for PUNISHMENT and perhaps rehabilitation( which is a joke because most of these "scum" are repeat offenders, don't want to do honest work for an honest dollar, etc)

My father worked for our local prison system in Philadelphia. When I was really little the prisoners got wonderful Thanksgiving Turkey dinners, when my family couldn't afford it.

There was riot at Holmesburg prison once that started because the BRAND NEW POOL TABLE, got a small tear on the green felt and it didn't get replaced right away. A worker was KILLED, faces were slashed with home made weapons. My Dad was there and saw it all as he was stuck there trying to keep everything operating, refrigeration, air conditioning(which by the way MY family didn't have!).

Prisoners have the rights! We honest people have to fight for what is right.

Marty, is this sheriff an elected official? If so I would campaign hard for someone else, to vote him out.

These scumbag a-holes know how to work the system, and the system is too stupid to see it. What the heck is the matter with this world?

I used to wear rose color glasses, be against the death penalty etc, but I GREW UP!

I personally RESENT the nice things that the scum have in jail. I RESENT MY TAXES paying for it! I resent my money keeping killers ALIVE. Spend the money on cancer research or something worth while and you won't hear me complain.

Every day, my Dad would tell me how the prisoners would DESTROY prison property, RIP OUT toilets and water fountains, doors off hinges etc again and again. All they knew was to destroy things, property, lives etc. I think that the prisoners should have been made to cr-p in a bucket for a week and maybe they might stop ripping out toilets

PEOPLE!!! You PAY BIG TIME for college for your kids when prisoners get college educations FREE in jail!.

WHAT Is wrong whith this picture??!!!!

I could go on and on, a nerve was hit.

Marty has got on with her life remarkably well considering such a tremendous loss.. I support her 100%.

Hugs Marty!!

Robin

OMG, Ashley! This is sooooo not the thread to be on if you want to defend the penal system!! I can tell that you are a compassionate and caring person, but I find your comments on this thread inappapropriate and distasteful in this context. Even though Marty clearly isn't asking for pity or sympathy here, please show her at least a little support. And as for how "bad" things are "in there", maybe the inmates should have thought of that before they committed and re-committed their crimes!
I so agree and am kinda taken aback myself. Murderers imo do not deserve a second chance to repeat their crime. And no they should not be allowed in bands and getting to go out in the community.

Marty my heart breaks for you having to endure not only the loss of your son but knowing that this monster is getting to enjoy himself.

Kay

What ever happened to "3 strikes and you're out". Marty, he should never see the outside of prison - NEVER!!!!

Sorry you're going through this for sure.

((((HUGS))))

Barbie

Back