My first Mini - can you help me get started?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christyinco

Reaction score
I am adopting an 11 month old mini. He is currently a stallion - due to be gelded this week before coming to my place. I already own horses, have had two shetland ponies in the past, but never a mini. I already know I'm going to treat him as one of the horses - meaning he's not coming in the house
default_smile.png

First question is how important is it to get him gelded right now? I don't want any stallion behavior and I already have a horse that was a stallion until he was 7, so he is the boss - a very fair boss, but nevertheless - boss. I want to minimize conflict even between fence lines.

Next, what do I need to have to prepare for my mini? I'm thinking of some panels to make a corral (12x24 or so) with a short waterer, hay tub, salt lick, jolly ball. I also need to purchase a halter and lead. Can you think of anything else I need to start with?

Lastly, he's not friendly. Not been handled much. How would you suggest starting this relationship off? How long do I work a little guy this young and little? I need to work on catching him, haltering, handling, etc. My end goal is to see his potential to be a therapy horse (visiting nursing homes, etc.).

Anything else you can think of would be great. Oh, I also know that most of you are not fans of the mini being with bigger horses. I have one smaller horse that I'm thinking of letting him buddy up with, but will see how it goes. My horses are used to smaller horses (the Shetlands we had) and actually got along great, but I know this is different. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Glad to be part of the forum!

First of all welcome! And congrats on your first mni. (photos would be wonderful!).

Yes, gelding is VERY important... If it is done this week, he should be recovered by the time he gets to your place. He should arrive with a halter and lead (check to make sure). Please read the pinned thread (at the top of this forum) called "frustrated" about turing out minis with big horses. I would think that 12X24' is not big enough for a turnout; our smallest is more like 12' X 60' and we just made that bigger. One thing you can do to expand turnout is to put the bigger horses in their stalls (or somewhere else) and turn the mini(s) into their area every few days. We do that for our minis that are on dry lot and they really appreciate it! Best done before dinner so you can catch them! Because your boy has not been handled much, you might do best starting him in a small area and then gradually expanding it. Just work with him as much as you can, grooming and leading to start. Check out the info on our website under 4-H for more ideas. If he is going to be hard to catch at first, I highly recommend a breakaway halter that you can leave on all the time. The kind with the fuses are safest or you can make one by removing the leather piece that holds the buckle on and replacing it with a ribbon.

We feed our hay on mats (from TRS) rather than a container, but we also use slow feeders such as Busy Snackers, which I highly recommend to ease boredom and help avoid ulcers.

ETA photo of home made breakaway halter:

Toffee_filly_5_2_13_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Targetsmom! We have 36 acres so finding a bigger turnout is not an issue. I have 2 corrals that are adjacent to eachother, both with western dowel (split rail) fencing that have hot wire running on top and middle rails. I could put the big horses in one corral (the one they are currently on) and the mini in the other. Do I need to worry about the mini getting through the rails? He's currently housed with a big horse in a corral with white vinyl fencing - 3 rail - and hot wire on top rail (can't reach the mini). If I had to guess I'd say he's about 30" tall.

Also, regarding the castration, he is due to be gelded on Thursday and home with me on the weekend. Is that enough recovery time? I don't want him to be stressed out and end up with complications, etc. Another option is I bring him home, let him settle in for a month and then geld him. I could have time to work with him to make after care easier. What are your thoughts? Never been through a gelding before.

Thanks for the link - great info!

If it was me, I'd bring him home and then have him gelded once he's settled. Even though it's not a huge surgery, it's still surgery and he'll have an open wound (they do some internal stitching but leave the wound open to drain....so the incision heals from the inside out, really). A move is/can be stressful, so I'd either have him gelded at the place he is now and wait a month to bring him home (three days is not long enough IMO) or bring him home and have it done at your place.

Oh, also, mid-summer is not the best time to geld...with flies etc. most people like to do it mid-Spring or Fall...

Agree three days is not enough time to heal and we always geld before fly season. (Or after is good). I think two weeks would be enough time to heal, but I forgot about flies (not sure how I could because I itch ALL THE TIME myself!). If the surgery is uncomplicated the after care should not be difficult.

Not even seeing your fence I would say that you probably DO need to worry about the mini getting under or through it. Our 36 1/2" gelding Clyde recently crawled UNDER his 4 foot non-climb wire mesh fencing to be in the paddock with his Dad. Turns out they get along fine so we are leaving them together, but they are both minis (one A and one B). Clyde would also get through our 3 rail flexible vinyl fencing when he was a foal. We have since lined it with wire mesh fencing down to the ground and that seems to be keeping everyone in.

Since he is not a year old yet and I assume you won't be having him in with any mares, I would wait until it starts cooling down in the fall. I've found the cooler months of early spring/late fall are by far the best times to geld. Less flies and there seems to be less swelling. The one I ended up doing in the middle of the summer ended up swelling something horrible.

Plus in this case you chould have him halter broke and much more willing to allow human contact which means if there are any issues you can get your hands on him easier and take care of it.

As to getting him used to human contact - I would look up mustang gentling procedures online. Similar concepts can be used. Even just hanging out in his pen (I like sitting in a chair and reading - where I seem like I'm totally ignorning them even if I am keeping an eye on where they are at at all times) and if he comes to you out of curiosity give him a treat or a bit of feed in a pan so you get associated with good stuff. As he starts coming around you more, reduce treat usage and start increasing secondary rewards like petting and he will eventually start to appreciate that - especially when you find itchy spots. Its very important to not always use treats as the training progresses because you don't want a treat-aholic on your hands that will only come to you or do things for treats. It can create a spoiled horse in a manner and lead to biting. But I have found treats or a bit of feed in a pan are good initial ice breakers.

Once you get a halter on him - at least once a day, but more is better, halter him and rub your hands all over him in a rythmic manner until he starts to relax at your touch. The more you do this, the more accepting they will be of you. Start with the shoulder and neck area, move into the back area, and eventually legs. The first couple times you may just have to pet wither and neck area until he relaxes and be done, but slowly exand each time until eventually you can pet all over him without freaking him out.

With him being young - actual sessions of working him should be kept very sort. 10-15 minute sessions at most for leading, etc. But you can sit in with him for much longer periods as you are not physically asking much out of him.

Great thoughts! Thanks! I figure I'll have better success with him since he'll be alone in the beginning. I found a mini tack store in my area that I'm going to today to get some supplies. I've also decided, after talking with my vet, to hold off on gelding until fall. We do have a mare here, but she won't be with him and since he's so young I may have some time there, plus just working with him to instill good manners and direct his energies.

I sold a horse recently that on the day of her move got a vet check and a 5 way vaccine - then shoes a few days later. Turned up lame by the end of the week. My vet said it was probably the vaccines given on the same day as the move - overloaded the body on stress and can certainly cause founder. So, I'm a lot more aware of adding anything stressful to and already stressful situation for horses. I just want to get the mini over here first and let him settle in to new environment, horses, me, and feed. We'll worry about gelding later.

Back