My colt is in need of an attitude adjustment.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manda

Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get after him with the nipping. Biting is one of the number one things I do not tolerate in horses. I wouldn't slap his head because that could cause him to become head shy, but maybe on the shoulder? I would first try a REALLY loud NO, and then if he doesn't respond to that, slap him on the shoulder too. I have also heard of making a fist and when they come around to bite you, they get a fist instead of skin. I also heard that if you hold a lemon and make sure they bite that it gets them to stop because of the sour taste. I will let someone else help you on the leading thing. But basically, I think he is just being a colt and testing his limits. Right now, he is higher ranked than you though!

Good luck!

you say hes the only horse?? so does he have a pasture buddy?? lonely horses tend to get aggressive and mean

Thank you for the good ideas minihorse4ever. I have been saying no quite loud and sometimes slapping his shoulder. I have to confess to swatting his nose sometimes too, but I will stop that. Maybe the lemon idea will work, it will probably just take time I guess.

Kaykay, yes he is an only horse with no pasture buddy. Hopefully not forever, but for the time being it will have to stay this way. I was thinking of a goat, but am I wrong in thinking that he would need to be gelded first? Or could a colt do ok with a goat?

Thank you
My barn's 3 year old stallion lives with 6 goats. He acts just fine around them! He has never intentionally hurt any of them (even during breeding season).
default_smile.png

This may sound awfully stupid, but my colt was a biter even at 1/2 hour old and I did try the lemon juice thing and you know, he liked it, go figure. What I found works best to get his attention, (and you are going to sound silly) is to squeal at him like a mare would. I swear Rascal reacts to that much better than anything else. Yes, I do make sure he respects me, I am the alpha animal to them, but I will tell you right now if he gets mouthy or runs at me, I can squeal just like a mare and he backs right off. His little trick is to get you when you are feeding & your hands are full, he was quite good at ambushes, so the squealing at him did really work, atleast for me. I know, I know my husband refuses to do it and he still gets bit at by the colt.

I also have him weaned now & in a pasture with his sire, so he is completely away from the mares and he is learning some manners from his Dad.

The goat sounds like a good idea too. :bgrin

Good luck with your little guy.

definately he needs a pasture mate. Like i said lonely horses tend to get mean and agressive just from lonlieness. Ive seen it in big horses and minis. He has no one to play with and be a horse with.

Now im not saying he will be cured. He still needs to be trained. but he will be mentally healthier and better to train if he is happy and has a pasture buddy.

Before we gelded our colt, he was very nippy and studdy acting. He came out with the "I KNOW I am something special" attitude, so he was a tough one before he was gelded. Gelding DOESN"T train a horse, as you said, but it makes a HUGE difference. We used lemon juice on our boy for his nipping. It works, if you are consistant. After being squirted a few times with the lemon juice, our colts nipping almost stopped. Every once in a while, he'd attempt a nip, but I ALWAYS carried the lemon juice with me when I handled him, so he got a squirt to remind him that even an occasional nip was not okay
default_wacko.png
: Gelding your colt will help you out a huge amount. It's not a fix-all by any means, but it sure does help! If you plan to keep him a stud, I would crack down on the nipping NOW before he gets more aggressive. Lemon juice worked VERY VERY well for our boy. I am sure bitter apple spray or anything icky tasting would work just as well.

Jen

Geld him now, not the spring and get him some equine company- a big horse on the other side of the fence line will do fine.

Horses are HERD animals, how many times do we have to say it??

Goats do not speak horse, if there are no other horses around he will be a sorry animals and he is trying to make you play with him in a horse way- nipping at you.

Can you move him near other horses??

I hate to sound harsh as you are in the position, and obviously have to deal with it, but there is no way I would sell a foal into this sort of position, however good and loving the home.

You cannot be with the horse 24/7 and that is how they need company- all the time.

A goat would be better than nothing- another colt would be better- geld them both!!!

I agree that he does need horse company. Give in to your mini addiction and just do it. :lol: But if I were you, I'd geld him and find a nice crabby aged mare to teach him some manners. Mares can be the best teachers of what not to do when he's a bad boy and you'll get to reap the benefits.

Well I will say I am not one who says go buy 2.. first of all there are thousands of horses living alone and they are perfectly fine.

I say to most new people get one, see what the responsibilty is like, the financial amounts are like, the time needed before you jump in and get 2 or 3

It is a huge life change to own a horse especially if you have it at your house and for someone to jump in with to much at one time well then they get told they are bad horse owners if they have to sell or get overwhelemed..

as far as the biting.. if one of mine bites me or nips I go after them like there life is coming to an end. I scream and run at them and stay in there personal space.. usually once or twice of this and they get the message.

As far as not walking near you or pulling you on the lead I am sure many will disagree but- I do what I do with a dog teaching them to heel.

I carry the lead and let it sort of drop in front of my thighs I walk one way when he goes another i simply turn very quickly he hits the end of the lead and snaps himself looks around I am not even there so he has done it to himself he catches up wtih me and we do the same thing.. over and over I turn quickly and go the other way walking kinda fast he hits the end of the lead and snap.. after a few times they learn to pay attention to me and walk with me and watch where I am going not look around at leaves they could eat on the ground or where that horse went ect...

now this is of course not as easy with big horses lol and I sure wouldnt try it with them but wtih minis and there small size works very well for me

Last edited:
I personally never use the word "no" with a horse. It sounds too close to whoa, and they mean two totally different things. I say "quit."

I believe in the ideaology that instead of focusing on what you DON'T want your colt to do, focus on what you DO want him to do. Make him perfectly aware of what the correct behavior is. Instead of biting, what do you want him to do? Be very specific about this. Do you want him standing on all four feet with his head facing forward or his nose touching the ground? Teach him this.

Well I will say I am not one who says go buy 2.. first of all there are thousands of horses living alone and they are perfectly fine. I say to most new people get one, see what the responsibilty is like, the financial amounts are like, the time needed before you jump in and get 2 or 3 It is a huge life change to own a horse especially if you have it at your house and for someone to jump in with to much at one time well then they get told they are bad horse owners if they have to sell or get overwhelemed..
DITTO-DITTO-EXACTLY...

As far as not walking near you or pulling you on the lead I am sure many will disagree but- I do what I do with a dog teaching them to heel.........now this is of course not as easy with big horses lol and I sure wouldnt try it with them but wtih minis and there small size works very well for me.
Actually, I have used this with the big-guys too, and it does work; as long as you don't wait until they're too old.

As for the biting, when the colt first starts it, (I say colt, as I have only once had a nippy filly) I put my hand around the lil one...baiting him. When he goes to bite, I give him my hand...all of it, as I would a puppy... Once they have the side of my hand in their mouth, it isn't so much fun anymore, and they want it gone...but that just isn't gonna happen until I am ready. After a minite or two of that, I release them, and let them think about it for a bit...(not a bite) :lol: and will do it a time or two until they get the idea that sometimes wanting something, and having it is not always the same thing...and they stop even trying.

If it is a full-grown horse, (no matter the size) I say quit, gutterally/harshly, using the "tone", that means you "just might not make it out of this alive", at the same time doing very much as Lisa does, clearing them of my space. "We" have to be the boss-mare in these situations, no matter the age or sex of the horse in question.

I do strongly advocate gelding this colt as well, not because he's bad...that, he can get over...but mostly because think that geldings are the best animals in the World. One of my favorite quotes is ""Stallions are from Mars, Mares are from Venus, Geldings are from Heaven".
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

He needs discipline regardless of whether or not he will get a buddy. If he gets a buddy, he won't just figure it's okay to rough house with a four legged friend and not a person unless he's taught. I'd use a crop and each time he goes to nip, would slap his shoulder with the crop. Your hands aren't enough to get the point across (a hand slap will not make an impression).

Additionally, I'd work with him using a halter and basically spend 10 or so minutes a day handling him and forcing him to be respectful, and punish when he is not.

The thing is, he may have gotten into this habit out of boredom (no companion) partially but this is a typical behavior of any colt and most geldings, too. He's not trying to be mean, he's just trying to instigate play with you as he would with another horse. Just needs to be taught it's not okay to be like this with a person.

Do you mind if I jumped in with a thought here?

I have never had to actually deal with a biter, but I read in one of my training magizines once that if you put several tacks into a wide leather strap and hang it attached it to your belt or belt loop, they will nip that instead of you. That one nip is all it is suppose to take to stop them completely from nipping/ biting. This was a farriers trick that I was reading. Don't know if that idea is an option, but thought I would toss it out ther for you.

~Karen

you know, i have a similar problem with Charm. he is now 5 1/2 months. i know he is not bored, he lives with two moody mares (his prego momma and his crabby old gramma) and a two geldings stabled next to him. he's not bored, just bad. :lol:

when he was around 4 months, he went thru his "nippy" stage. what worked with him was every time he went after me, i'd go after him with the same amount of force he came after me. that sounds confusing so i'll give an example. okay, say i'm petting his face, and he just sort of works his mouth around closer to me, and bites down. then i would gently push his mouth away and go right back to petting his face. say i'm brushing him and he lunges at me full force with his mouth open, i give him the fist, when he makes mouth contact, i shove his mouth away (with my fist) just as hard as he came to me. one time i was brushing his front leg, and he came at my face, so i head butted him! so yeah, nippy stage was gone in about a week. he is so sensitive, every time i'd whack him he'd look at me like i'd shot him! he never became head shy, and i am in no way a professional trainer, this is just my experience with Charm.

now at 5 1/2 months, he has just discovered he is a little stud! the baby that used to follow me like a puppy and sleep in my lap is now a big scarey stallion that rears all over the place! he will be gelded asap, hopefully sometime this month. i fully agree with you, gelding will NOT train him. but what it will do is make him more willing to be trained. that's why charm is to be gelded now.

my favorite quote of all time:

you can tell a gelding, you can ask a mare, but you must discuss it with a stallion.

and as i recently concluded today, you must explain it to a colt! :lol:

just as ClickMini said, focus on what you DO want him to do. i prefer to guide them to the right path, rather than punishing them for being on the wrong one.

another great quote (by monty roberts):

there is no such thing as teaching, only learning. teaching is not to be pounded in by the trainer. learning is to be drawn in by student. by "teaching" you are only providing an invoronment where the student can take in knowledge.

that is not an exact quote, but it is something like that, from his book i am reading now.

so i say geld him when you can. take it slow. be patient. remember, he isn't acting bad simply to "get away with it" or get you mad, he simply does not know better. he is testing his limits, and will soon learn what is/is not acceptable behavior with you.

i am by no means an extremely experienced/accomplished trainer, but this is what little i do know, and what little expereince i do have to offer. you do not have to take my advice, just sharing.
default_yes.gif
:

I must disagree with the comment that an 'only horse' will get rude and mean. I have had many only horses through the years, big and small, and they never got mean at all. However, they were also not allowed to be the boss. Many colts are nippy - it is a colt thing- and he will need to be corrected firmly. Also the tugging on the lead rope and trying to go off somewhere else is not excusable. Get his attention and make him mind. Yes, gelded or not, he needs to learn manners and where he is in your pecking order and he is NOT your boss. Get firm and dont be afraid to correct him when needed, but make it immediate and then move on.

Some colts are happier with a play buddy though... maybe you could temporarily borrow another one? Keep in mind a goat may not work. Some animals will not tolerate another specie in with them, and if he is looking for someone to 'wrestle' with, I am sure the goat will get the worse end of the deal.

However, then you also have to worry about him getting 'horse sour' when you bring him out to try to work with him and he will pay even less attention.

I would have him gelded while the weather is cooling- not in spring when flies, etc.. are coming out. This may help (and get it done anyhow) and then go from there.

Latest posts

Back