My baby left for boot camp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
My youngest son Christopher and with out a doubt the easiest one of the 3 to raise left for USMC boot camp in Parris island SC. this morning. My husband had to take him to his recuiter yesterday afternoon (Nice mothers day
default_crybaby.gif
)where they took him to Tampa so he could catch the bus at 5 this morning. He told me there was a 10% chance the bus would be full and he would come home to wait for the next time. He wouldnt let me go with him and made me stay home to say good bye, cant blame him I started crying when he was telling the dogs good bye and pretty much cried most of the night. This young man is NOT MARINE material, I know what they do to toughen them up and I'm so afraid he will fall apart. I know my older 2 would make it and I wish my oldest was able to get into the army (he needs it)he tried but they wont take him now because he has a record (he had a drug problem and did some STUPID things) and with the economy so bad they can have their pick of the best. They told him if he had come in 6 mo. ago he would have gotten in no problem but not now.

I'm sure Christopher will be able to handle the physical training, its the mental that I worry about. I'm so worried that he will get homesick, I did as a child. And then of course what will happen to him after boot camp where will he go. He left with the clothes on his back and dress clothes in a backpack for his ride on the bus, his ID and an address book, that was all he was allowed to take.

I cant even imagine what parents who have children in war zones are going through. Bless you all. Kathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww (((((Kathy)))) Try not to worry so much, if they dont think he can make it during his entrance Physical, they'll send him home. Bet though that he is tougher than you think
default_wink.png
All moms think their babies are just that, the baby. Hugs!

Kathy this is a tuff one and you are very entitled to be a mess over it as I would be. No matter how old they are, they will always be our babies. This was ultimately Christophers decision to become a Marine and he wanted that chance. I don't know anything about it, but I assume if he is not up to speed, they will send him back home. There is nothing worse than having to let go of your child. Be proud that your son is so brave and has chosen to serve his country and you will see him again.

default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Kathy,

HUGS to you. Mine aren't old enough to make that choice yet. The few Marines I have known in my life have been the absolute best, good luck to him through boot camp.

Karen

Kathy,my heart is with you.

I remember as clearly as if it was yesterday, the day my son left for Marine boot.

I won't even hint it's going to be easy for you. I know for me, I am a nose

counter. I am happiest when all the noses are tucked safely into their bed

at night, the lights go off and and I know everyone is safe.

You will, however, be so proud of your son and his accomplishments at boot.

They will take the wonderful young man you sent them and enhance the

outstanding foundation you gave him.

The weeks till you see him will be long but your heart will burst from your chest

when you see him next.

I remember when my oldest went off for boot camp. It was one of the hardest days of my life. When I went to boot camp graduation it was the proudest day of my life. I sent a boy and in ten short weeks he became a man.

Best wishes as you go through this...and a small hint. When you get the box of clothes in the mail, have a box of tissues at hand should you decide to open it.
default_wink.png

My son Kenny joined the Army 2 years ago. Boot camp was so hard on all of us! The Army did give us as parents a kinda time line to go by which was really good as we knew what to expect. They told us to expect that for the first 2 weeks he would be incredibly home sick and wanting out of the Army and thinking he made a huge mistake. (and yes thats what happened on his calls home) By week 3 they are settling into routine and getting better. By week 4 they are much happier and have made some friends etc. From then on it was much smoother sailing.

Just remember when he calls to lift his spirits and be happy for him. The worst thing you can do that first 2 weeks is start crying when they call or encourage their misery. We just kept telling Kenny how proud of him we were and that we knew he could get through it.

I so agree with Gimp be sure to attend graduation. It was such a proud moment for us as parents and for Kenny on his huge accomplishment. We also sent a boy and a man came home.

Hugs!

I remember when my grandson (we rasied him) left for Marine boot camp, San Diego, 5 years ago, it was the day he turned 18 and a teary day.

When we went to his graduation it was the proudest day I can remember, more than his high school graduation the day before he left. It was also a day my husband will never forget either because he could see what it was like when he graduated from there 54 years earlier.

Kay gave some very good advise and when you next see him he will be the same son you sent away but all grown up too.

From what I've been told its very rare that a Marine recruit gets to use the phone. You get the one call that is read off a card and it can come anytime day or night, mine came at 10:22 p.m. and you dont get to talk to them.

I have written him everyday so far, but I wont have an address for several more days.

I'm proud, but very conflicted, he tested very high, and had the option to go non combat, he chose combat training. I'm just scared stiff he's in over his head, I know they get the best training, but I dont think my son could kill another person, he cries when we lose an animal here.

I have found a few sites that have been helpful with what to expect from him.

Thank you all for your support, Kathy

I do not know your worries, I can only imagine. Be proud you have a child who wants to fight for his country and it's people. You did good Mom. <<hugs>>

I am very sorry. Iremember the day my twin brother went . It was 5 am , he was scared and so were we. The next few years were difficult. I still cry at airports , because I remember the feeling of having to say goodbye. I am 40 now , and still cry when I see a man in uniform....My brother is OK , and out of the military now , but the memories are still with me ..I am sorry, thats all I can say .

Back