My AMHA Registration Proposal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just want to warn everyone that this Appendix proposal will not be happening anytime soon. There will be a lot of hoops to jump through.......

The first hoop is to introduce the Appendix as a ByLaws change at the annual meeting. There is a deadline for making ByLaws proposals, so this may not even be brought up for a vote until the 2008 Annual Meeting!

And even then, it may be voted down......

Just don't want people to think that this idea can be implemented very quickly.

MA

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

I really LIKE this proposal Ronnie. Thank you!

I think it will add to the idea that we do need to be more of a breed not just a size. I have two foals out of really good bloodlines. Both have gone over out of a 33 1/4" mare. One sire was 29"s and the other is 33 3/4"s. The colt is gelded but the filly is way too nice to just forget about. But I feel she has lots to add to the AMHA even though she will end up probably 34 1/2"s - 35"s tall.

I agree if we have a absolutely-dead-on completely accurate way to measure horses, we would not need this. But as it is, oversized horses are already being used in the breeding shed, and show ring by some people. If people feel that using a horse that is over is wrong in their breeding program, this would allow them to keep track of true and hopefully accurate sizes, since the horses background would not be thrown away.

So I feel this would be a nice addition to the AMHA. This and measuring at the top of the withers like most breeds do.

Thanks again Ronnie!

Thanks Miniv for the reminder of the time frame issues. I do think it should all be carefully considered and discussed, which takes time to do the right thing for the registry as a whole. As long as we know it is being worked on for a POSSIBLE change, that would be nice.

Sadly, Miniv brings out a very pertinent point. I see the best we could hope for is that at the 2007 meeting, a committee will be set up to make a presentation at the 2008 meeting. Then, the proposal will be hashed over and other ideas and changes brought up so it can't be presented again until 2009 and then, if we're lucky, we might see the changes occur in 2010. It is quite obvious there are many issues with AMHA that many people are concerned with and (I know this is off topic, sorry) until we have online voting, any big changes in AMHA will most likely never come to fruition. With online voting these proposals could be presented before the annual meeting and voted on and possible come to light in a more timely fashion. AMHA can send out newsletters to the members over the internet, I don't see why we can't vote over the internet...but alas, that probably also requires a committee, and a proposal, and yet another annual meeting...

Hang in there Ronnie, hopefully before you're old and gray, you may see this happen...

I also recommend that once the Appendix Registry is established and up and going that Appendix classes be included in AMHA shows.
......................Overall this sounds good................................. My one comment is IF adding these appendix classes to AMHA shows IS a requirement this might hurt some shows. Usually the shows are in a time crunch anyway. A requirement to ADD more classes may put an end to some shows currently being put on.. Need input from show managers on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Food for thought on measuring at the withers, you CAN cheat when measured there. I had an open jumper pony many, many years ago that had been trained to shrink as she was 14.2 1/2. She could shrink that 1/2" to become 14.2 and had her permanent measurement card with the AHSA. So, measuring at the withers will not be a cure-all in any sense of the word. The technique used to train her was one her former owner's father used with his beagles to get them measured in.........

As for all these complaints about measuring, people, YOU are responsible for helping to enforce that rule. I am not aware of any protests on measuring this year, have YOU protested horses that you just knew were over? Hmmmmm? All of the AMHA BOD are now certified measurers having attended a training clinic at the June AMHA board meeting. This included a lecture, practice measuring of several horses, and a written test. So, a certified measurers program has been put into place. I believe they also held that clinic last year at the Color Council where the judges training is held.

I know of one horse who was very, very successful at the AMHR National show that was suspected of being over, but guess what, I know now of several people that I totally trust who measured him, and got him no taller than 33 3/4". He just looks over, and I am told if he gets excited he will measure tall, but when relaxed and no not drugged, he measures in perfectly. That is understandable, kind of like the Napolean complex, those studly boys want to look bigger than they are. I had one guy who would get on his tippy toes to look bigger... :lol:

So, put your money where your mouth is and protest those 'bad' measurements. I assure you, that will go a long way in clearing up the problem, be it real or perceived.

I'd say I probably qualify for the "diehard 34" and under" club, but I really like this idea! I think's it well thoughtout and it's a "compromise" in my mind to solving the issue of horses "losing" their papers should they go over 34".

I personally don't ever plan on owning any minis over 34" but I can see the merit in this type of registration. Great idea!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Afterthought: I say I'll never own a mini over 34" but I recently purchased a 33" mare, a Blue Boy daughter, who is 24 yrs old. In researching her foaling history I noticed that several of her foals were listed as Over Sized in the A studbook. So I looked in more detail at the R studbook and this mare had a foal that matured to 37.75" by a 29" stud!!!!! Ye Gods! How did that happen?????

Just want to warn everyone that this Appendix proposal will not be happening anytime soon. There will be a lot of hoops to jump through.......

The first hoop is to introduce the Appendix as a ByLaws change at the annual meeting. There is a deadline for making ByLaws proposals, so this may not even be brought up for a vote until the 2008 Annual Meeting!

And even then, it may be voted down......

Just don't want people to think that this idea can be implemented very quickly.

MA
Since an Appendix registry would be a new venture for AMHA and is not addressed by our bylaws it may not necessarily fall under the flow chart and time tables that govern changes to our current By-Laws and Rules. However to make double sure all i’s are dotted and all t’s are crossed, I do plan to formalized this proposal after all input is gathered and present it to the BOD to be included in next years planning process. It must be submitted before the close of the annual meeting in February and will then go to all concerned committees for discussion at the June BOD meeting and can then be included for discussion and a vote by the membership at next years annual meeting (February 2008). That means that final approval can be as close as 13 months from now.

Ronnie

Ronnie, no matter how long it takes, or the outcome, I certainly applaud your efforts for DOING something!

I will be an optimist here, and hope for the best and at least know that there are folks still willing to keep trying at this instead of going off to form another group.

THANKS RONNIE :aktion033:

I also recommend that once the Appendix Registry is established and up and going that Appendix classes be included in AMHA shows.
......................Overall this sounds good................................. My one comment is IF adding these appendix classes to AMHA shows IS a requirement this might hurt some shows. Usually the shows are in a time crunch anyway. A requirement to ADD more classes may put an end to some shows currently being put on.. Need input from show managers on this one.
Cathy,

You are correct that we do not want to force additional classes on any shows that do not want them for whatever reason. What I meant was that at some point down the road, if the Appendix Registry is approved, that we consider Appendix classes. This may or may not be a good idea overall and would need some careful consideration. The idea would be to increase participation in local shows, which has greatly suffered lately, by offering opportunities for some who may not show now, and additional opportunities for the ones that already show. Hopefully this would encourage more participation leading to bigger and better shows, leading to more exposure, leading to more marketability, which would lead to increased membership and registration, leading right back to even bigger and better shows. We should not compromise the fundamental goals of AMHA and Appendix class should be included in ways that do not change or compromise the existing classes for AMHA horses. Those classes would still be as they are now and would still encourage breeders to breed for under 34" horses. If there was not a lot of interest in these Appendix class then they should not be on the class list but if there is a lot of participation it could be the shot in the arm our shows need to become profitable, rewarding, interesting, and the way people like to spend their weekends. In any case I would not support Appendix classes as being required. If they do at some point become feasible they should be optional for show managers to include as they see fit as their individual shows merit.

Thanks for your and everyone else’s well thought out responses. This type of open dialog and input is what will cure a lot of ills in not only AMHA but the entire miniature horse industry. I am very pleased to see some thoughtful and well stated concerns posted here but I have not seen any counterproductive, shoot from the hip negative responses. While this may or may not wind up being approved or even the right approach, when the dust settles we will have all had productive input, made some compromise, and found common ground for the betterment of all.

Thanks to all!

Ronnie

I like Ronnie's proposal. I would like to the Appendix or foundation or breeding proposal thought about some more. Similiar suggestions and motions have been brought up in the past but have not passed.

I hate it when AMHA looses the horse that goes 35 inches and all the horses offspring when the offspring doesn't go over 34 inches. The Appendix or foundation or breeding proposal would fix this problem.

I noticed a lot of farms are registering their horses AMHA and AMHR. I register any horse I buy that is AMHA with AMHR too if they are not already doubled registered. I believe there was a similiar discussion like this last year on Lit' Beginnings with Robin from Little Kings and limiting the gene pool. I guess time will tell with how this plays out with AMHA.

I like AMHA because I believe it does a better job of promoting the "Miniature horse" than AMHR. I guess I wonder how many horses/owners is AMHA loosing because it does not have a foundation stock proposal. I

think we all may be surprised by the answer to that question. Perhaps a study/survey needs to be done of how many horses that have their papers turned back in because they have gone over 34 inches. Actually,

AMHA should have these records where the papers have been turned back in by honest people.

I am not sure I know if there is an answer that will make everyone happy but the majority should be heard.

Thanks Ronnie for trying to make the voices heard.

Freida Blair

I do like your proposal better than any other I have seen. Is there any special provision in place with AMHA that they could get something like this going much sooner than normal since they do need a means of bringing in more money ASAP? Mary

BUMP.......

Hoping for more input! We need everyone's honest opinions.

Thanks to everyone that has replied and please go to Brookhaven's Poll and Vote!

Ronnie

My mother raises quarter horse race horses. She has the a thoroughbred mare that she is getting appendix papers on so that the foals can be registered as quarter horses. It's a simple process. I think you proposal is great Ronnie. We should take lessons from the other registries.

Latest posts

Back