My AMHA Registration Proposal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie

Reaction score
This is a little long but I believe it is worth reading.

Below is a letter I sent a couple of hours ago to the AMHA B.O.D. in reference to the proposed AMHS and a proposal that I am making that I feel will addresses most of the issues and concerns that I have heard over the years. I have already heard back from one director that agrees that AMHS as originally proposed is not the way to go and is very interested in my proposal or some variation of it. He also request I remain as the Chairman of the committee that was established as it was established to explore the possibilities and make recommendations. I would be very interested in hearing everyone’s thoughts on this proposal. I would ask that you read it in its entirety and let it soak in and give it some honest thought. Constructive criticism is welcome but remember this is only a proposal and is intended to satisfy several issues and concerns. As a little background information for the ones who don’t know me personally we have a fair size head (around 40 currently) and none of them are over 34†and they are all AMHA and almost all are double registered AMHA and AMHR. My wife and I are active members of AMHA and AMHR. I say all that to explain I have no personal agenda since I will gain no immediate benefit from an Appendix Registry but I do believe it will be good for the entire miniature horse industry and what is good for the industry is in the long run what is good for me personally and for every owner of a miniature horse.

Fellow B.O.D. members,

I have done a lot of asking, listening and personal pondering the last couple of weeks about the proposed new registry (AMHS). I have read or heard many responses through phone calls, e-mails, and internet sites. A conservative estimate would be around 75 responses and they have been from big breeders to small owners and from AMHA members and non-members. The vast majority of these responses have been opposed to a new independent registry owned by AMHA. Most tell me they will not pay additional fees, either registration or membership fees, for another miniature registry. Most also seem to feel this is being proposed solely as a source of revenue and not as a benefit to members. They also tell me they do not want any added personal or AMHA expenditures for this. While at first I thought this sounded feasible, after time to think it through I tend to agree that this is not the way to go. I therefore would like to relinquish my chairmanship of this new committee. There were three other people that volunteered to be on this committee, Barbara Naviaux, Mark Kern, and Tom O’Connell. If the BOD would like to continue this committee I would recommend one of these three to chair it. There has been no official committee work done to this point other than my own opinion gathering which is why I use the term relinquish my position rather than resign since the committee has never really started.

I do however have a different proposal I have had in the back of my mind for a year or so that I do think would work and I think now is the time to propose it. I would like to propose an AMHA Appendix Registry which I will lay out the basics for below. AQHA has had a similar Appendix registry for many years and it has been very successful, and while I am not very familiar with it I believe this would be similar to Arabian’s Half Arab Registry. If the BOD is interested in this I would be glad to serve on and chair this committee.

I have spoken with a few people that were opposed to the “AMHS†but were very interested and supportive of this idea. The few I have spoke with range from some of our biggest AMHA breeders, to small owners, to non-members. If we adopt this proposal I realize the basic outline I am proposing will need some tweaking but I highly recommend we keep it simple, cost effective, and member friendly. I believe this addresses many of the issues and concerns we have heard over the years and will provide a large growth potential for AMHA and its members by expanding our market, increasing membership, increasing participation, and protecting the integrity of our 34 inch and under AMHA horse but also allowing for and appreciating the ones that go over and for some of the outstanding individuals from outside AMHA.

Once this is up and going I would recommend we consider some Appendix class at the shows.

Respectfully Submitted

Ronnie Clifton

Proposal for AMHA Appendix Registry

AMHA Appendix Registry will not use temporary registration All registrations are permanent. Horses in this registry will be referred to as Appendix registered

Eligibility:

1 – Any AMHA registered horse that has exceeded 34 inches may be registered in the AMHA Appendix Registry by paying the same fees it would cost to bring them permanent in AMHA. This may be done at any age when the horse exceeds 34 inches. If the horse has already been brought permanent it will be placed in the Appendix registry at no additional cost to the owner when the original registration certificate is sent in to the office and an Appendix Registration Certificate will be issued. If the original registration certificate has already been sent in and is in the possession of the AMHA office the horse will be placed in the Appendix Registry upon request of the recorded owner. This request must be signed by the recorded owner or accompanied by a properly signed transfer.

2 – Any AMHR registered horses 38 inches and under may be registered in the AMHA Appendix Registry by paying the regular AMHA registration fee that would apply based on the horse’s age and the same equivalent permanent registration fee for an AMHA horse plus a $50 processing fee.

3 – Any offspring resulting from the breeding of an AMHA registered horse to an AMHR registered horse may be registered in the AMHA Appendix Registry by paying the regular AMHA registration fee that would apply based on the horse’s age and the same equivalent permanent registration fee for an AMHA horse plus a $50 processing fee.

4 – Any offspring resulting from the breeding of an AMHA Appendix registered horse to an AMHR registered horse may be registered in the AMHA Appendix Registry by paying the regular AMHA registration fee that would apply based on the horse’s age and the same equivalent permanent registration fee for an AMHA horse plus a $50 processing fee.

All AMHA Appendix registered horses will retain their pedigree information on their registration certificate and in the Stud Book including registration numbers of all known ancestors to identify their AMHA and/or AMHR background.

Any offspring resulting from breeding an AMHA Appendix registered horse to either an AMHA registered horse or another AMHA Appendix registered horse will be eligible for registration in the regular AMHA registry provided it meets all registration requirements. These offspring will be issued either temporary or permanent registration based on their age and will be subject to all of the requirements and regulations of AMHA registration. If these registered offspring ever exceed 34 inches in height they will be place into the AMHA Appendix Registry according to the same procedures as any other AMHA registered horse.

I also recommend that once the Appendix Registry is established and up and going that Appendix classes be included in AMHA shows.

Ronnie Clifton

Well thought out,Ronnie.I like the idea and am in favor of this.You have covered many bases.I do think you will receive lots of opposition from the "Diehards "34"&Under. Your proposal gives breeders another option for over 34"horses besides throwing away papers.Keep up the good work.Go for it.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: FULL SUPPORT for this proposition.

My beautiful mare Ally is registered permanent with AMHR at 36.25", and I did not bring her permanent with AMHA due to her growing oversize. Her sire is 32.25" and her dam is 31.75". Seems a shame that such a nice horse (AMHR Halter Hall of Fame, and now training/showing in driving) is worth nothing to AMHA. Will I breed her to AMHA stock? Yes, I certainly will, and would definitely register the offspring AMHA if that were available to me. It seems likely based on her heritage that she will throw under 34" foals. I also have an ASPC/AMHR filly that I would register Appendix, as I believe she will be over 34" at maturity. I would like to know if the new proposal would include some opportunity for the offspring of two AMHR horses to come into the regular AMHA registry, first as an appendix, then later into the regular registry if they stay under 34". I have a really nice little stallion in that situation, I believe that he will stay under 34". I would register all of mine that are not currently AMHA and would qualify for the appendix registry in a hot minute if it came available.

Question. If you registered your over 34" horse in appendix. Will you be able to show in AMHA shows or no. They would then have to ad in B classes. What I really really want is to be ablt to register a horse AMHA at ANY age not 5! That totally turns me away form buying a unregistere dhorse. Who knows what Ill be like in 5 years. And I want to be able to show now.
default_wacko.png
: I dont understand this rule.
default_wink.png
:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Sounds like a "win, win" to me!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: FULL SUPPORT for this proposition.

I would like to know if the new proposal would include some opportunity for the offspring of two AMHR horses to come into the regular AMHA registry, first as an appendix, then later into the regular registry if they stay under 34". I have a really nice little stallion in that situation, I believe that he will stay under 34". I would register all of mine that are not currently AMHA and would qualify for the appendix registry in a hot minute if it came available.
My proposal does not allow for AMHR horses to be appendix registered then later be regular AMHA registered. It does however allow AMHR horses to be appendix registered and then their offspring would be eligible for regular AMHA registration.

I would also like to again invite all opinions on this topic because I intend to print them all off, both favorable and opposing, and show them in their entirety to the AMHA Board Of Directors.

Ronnie

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Well thought out and I like the plan! It sounds really good to me! As long as it dosent effect the normal AMHA registeration and as long as I dont have to pay any extra money... cause all of my horses will be under 34" and will be registerd AMHA...

Devon... the reason they do it is cause of the height issue... once they are 5 they have stoped growing and they can mesure them permanantly!

Gage

Very Well thought out and I like the plan! It sounds really good to me! As long as it dosent effect the normal AMHA registeration and as long as I dont have to pay any extra money... cause all of my horses will be under 34" and will be registerd AMHA...

Devon... the reason they do it is cause of the height issue... once they are 5 they have stoped growing and they can mesure them permanantly!

Gage

:aktion033: :aktion033: This is a winner to me. We have a small herd of 11 horses & we show

at AMHR shows. We also have 4 A & R registered horses from this herd. One mare is oversized.

I think this would generate money for A in a good manner where A wins & the customer gets

something for their efforts. cjmm

Question. If you registered your over 34" horse in appendix. Will you be able to show in AMHA shows or no.
Yes, the last statement in my proposal is that once this is up and going that Appendix classes be added to AMHA shows. How many classes will have to be determined based on the amount of interest and participation in the appendix classes.

Ronnie

Sounds like a good idea to me! :aktion033: I am now working with the AQHA Appendix registry since I acquired my gelding and I LOVE the idea of having an AMHA Appendix registry! Good thinking Ronnie!
default_yes.gif
:

Pretty good Ronnie.

I was thinking of an "appendix" type registry as well when all this started.

Ronnie, in regards to breeding, how would DNA come into play for the offspring ???

Very well thought out and it would seem to be a win win for those on both sides of the fence.

I am sure there will be some that find some holes in the idea but from someone on the outside it does seem to address all issues on all sides.

No matter how it ends Ronnie I personally would like to thank you for not only putting the time and effort into this proposal but for wanting to hear from all of those you can and...

for making it seem as if there opinion matters. I think that alone goes A LONG WAY in having people support decisions even when they dont go there way.

One thing I would sure like to see is the ability for AMHR registered "under 34" horses to cross-register to AMHA at any age, as long as they fit into the height category for their age. It is eating me up to not have my little Esprit not able to come into AMHA until age 5. I know I chose to buy from a breeder who works only with AMHR so it is my problem.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Wouldn't trade him for anything tho. But would sure bring him in right away if the opportunity was there. It seems like a win-win to AMHA to do this however, as those horses would be subject to the same height rules as those already registered AMHA. Just another thought.

As a little guy I think this would only help the amha since they are declineing in so many aspects..I also have a mare that is only r registered but has an a reg father dam side is i think unknown but she is only 32 3/4 .She has a on both sides of her pedigree but i was told she could not be registered amha ..

I have also given a lot of thought to the AMHS proposal, and for many of the reason you stated, I am opposed to that proposal. However, I also do not favor the new 'Appendix' idea you are proposing.

I do think that the horses that had temporary AMHA papers and have grown over 34" need to have a place within AMHA though. I just don't think AMHA needs to open its doors wide open and 'grow' the registry to fully include horses up to 38".

I have proposal for a 'B' division (B meaning 'breeding stock') that I would like input on. It is a rather long narrative, so I will post it to a separate topic for discussion in addition to this discussion on the 'Appendix' idea.

Ronnie, I applaud you for listening, I think this is very well thought out and has taken a number of requests from across the board and rolled them into one proposal and I like it a lot.

The only thing that I am not sure about is the showing of the over horses at AMHA shows. Although I personally love the taller horses, I think at this time it should be a breeding stock only appendix. I did notice that you said at some time in the future when the appendix was up and running and maybe that will cover my concern. Perhaps in a couple years this will have a very high interest and it will be necessary to do so but not at first.

This is just my feelings on the matter and will back the decision of the majority of members. It will be interesting to hear the discussion on this at the annual meeting.

Thanks you Ronnie for working on this, it's great your interest in this and willingness to bring this to the EC, BOD and members.

I do have a couple of clarifications needed though -

2 – Any AMHR registered horses 38 inches and under may be registered in the AMHA Appendix Registry by paying the regular AMHA registration fee that would apply based on the horse’s age and the same equivalent permanent registration fee for an AMHA horse plus a $50 processing fee.

I'm assuming this means the hardship fee that apply to AMHR horses now? How would we just allow any AMHR B size horse to be brought into an Appendix registry when we don't allow AMHR horses to be registered AMHA withouth meeting the hardship requirements?

3 – Any offspring resulting from the breeding of an AMHA registered horse to an AMHR registered horse may be registered in the AMHA Appendix Registry by paying the regular AMHA registration fee that would apply based on the horse’s age and the same equivalent permanent registration fee for an AMHA horse plus a $50 processing fee.

I'm not very comfortable with this one. Although I don't have a problem with this fee structure, I think many others might. Unless I'm reading this wrong, this isn't possible for the under 34" now, so the rules would require further change or wouldn't receive as strong support or no support. I wouldn't support something that was available to the Appendix registry and not the under 34".

4 – Any offspring resulting from the breeding of an AMHA Appendix registered horse to an AMHR registered horse may be registered in the AMHA Appendix Registry by paying the regular AMHA registration fee that would apply based on the horse’s age and the same equivalent permanent registration fee for an AMHA horse plus a $50 processing fee.

Same as #3

I do believe you're on-target with bringing the Appendix horses in as a Breeding Only for now. If there becomes a need to add classes for showing of the Appendix horses in the future it would be easier to add when the need is there. It would be nice to have the Appendix divisions available to show AMHR B size minis and create more places/ways to show off our minis, but I'd be happy to get the Appendix papers back on my minis that have gone over and are R only now so their offspring could get/keep AMHA papers.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Ronnie I would like to thank you for having taken the time to think out this well proposed statement.

I shall watch it's progress with interest, and with trepidation.

If you cannot get this sort of thing passed what hope have ordinary members of getting changes made??

It will be interesting to see how far you get.

I love it, Ronnie!!!! Very well thought out and worded. Easy to follow and I would be fully in favor of your proposal!

It's an exciting time to be into minis... I think there's a chance some long needed / desired changes may actually come to pass.

champagne.gif

My gelding is not AMHR, only WCMHR, but I would register him with the appendix registry if I was allowed to. I also have 2 mares that outgrew there AMHA papers that I would register as well.

Back