must make a move

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyeadon

Reaction score
This is my first post here; however I have been lurking and learning for some time now. I want to thank all who post such helpfull info here! On to my question: Due to the unsteady future of my husband's job here in Michigan, it looks as if we will soon be making a move. My husband is interviewing for several jobs this week and I am hoping to find out the good, bad and whatever else anyone might be able to tell about the three cities/states that are really wanting him. First is Rockford, IL, second is Erie, PA, and third is Fargo, ND. We are a LARGE family (10 children) and we very much enjoy our very conservative, (somewhat old-fashioned) country life style. We also enjoy showing our ponies and minis! What if anything, can you share about these areas of the country?

Thank you in advance!

Kristine

I can tell you about Erie, PA! I grew up just over the NYS border (1 hour away)and LOVED it. Erie, outside the city is a wonderful flat grassy area with the Lake (Erie) making the area lush and mild in the Summers. Winter is a different thing as the Lake Effect Snow can blow up quite a storm and loads of snow. A tight barn is a must while there but each snowfall melts and another one may blow in.

When there is no snow, the place is wonderful for children and animals! Even when there is snow, it's GREAT for children!

Inside the city is pretty much like any city, but it's a small one, and you can get out quickly! The Thruway runs on the North side of it for easy get aways!

Good Luck!

Thank you! I would love to see winter again! Growing up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan we saw a lot of snow! Here in Southern most Michigan.......well I miss the snow!

I used to live near Rockford IL.....in the little village of Ringwood. Absolutely beautiful country! And there were definitely winters! Too much for me being a southern gal myself. But the area had a lot to offer and we enjoyed our 9+ years there.

Charlotte

I can tell you about erie pa also it is nice and there are alot of rural communities south of erie , here are some of the towns within a 50 mile southern radius of erie.

Edinboro , albion, lake city ,plateau, crossingville, springboro, conneautville , and conneaut lake , meadville ,townville and atlantic these are all very country settings there is also linesville pa ,,, I lived in conneaut lake pa for 24yrs before moving to southern pennsylvania, atlantic ,conneautville ,springboro have alot of amish . and it is all very rural and quite..

There are also miniature horse shows and open horse shows at the crawford county fairgrounds. Some of the open shows are hosted by the western pennsylvania riding and driving club...If you would like to know more please contact me .. Here are a couple more towns in that area ,, sagertown , cambridge springs , hartstown, espyville . Here is a newspaper that you could check for houses www.meadvilletribune.com

I very sorry to here your leaving Michigan
default_sad.png
. Alot of people are. There is just no work. I wish you and your family the best!

Leya

My parents live south of Erie in Conneauteville. It is nice there, like someone else said, lots of amish and retired folks..in the summer it's more of a touristy area since many people from Pittsburgh have cottages on Conneaute Lake and there is a small amusement park. My parents are about 1 hr from Erie and they get hammered with snow. 3-4 ft droppings at a time are very normal for them, however it doesn't get as cold there as it does here. I don't particuliarly care for the city of Erie, but then again I don't like any city that is more than 2 blocks long :bgrin . We almost were stationed in Fargo, ND, I don't know anything about it though.

Good luck in your move. I am in Michigan too and I know why you're leaving...the economy is terrible here. I wish you and your family the best. If you'd like to talk to my parents or sister about conneautville area, just pm me and I'll give you their number.

Latest posts

Back