Muscle and weight Gain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streaker

Reaction score
How do you exercise, add muscle and weight gain to a horse that is a little on the thin side but keeping them in shape at the same time? Should I put weight on him first and then exercise or can I do both at the same time?Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Increase his intake and work him the same he will put on muscle and not fat. It may take a bit longer to get him heavier but keep working him.

First I would want to know what you are getting the horse in shape for? Next show season? If it were me, so just my opinion and what I would do. If ready by next show season and you have the time, I would leave the horse with plenty of excercise room on there own for now, increase food intake and put some weight on, then slowly add an excercise regimine. Then again it all really depends on how thin you are talking.

First I would want to know what you are getting the horse in shape for? Next show season? If it were me, so just my opinion and what I would do. If ready by next show season and you have the time, I would leave the horse with plenty of excercise room on there own for now, increase food intake and put some weight on, then slowly add an excercise regimine. Then again it all really depends on how thin you are talking.
Hi Minih, Yes its for next show season..... He is not overly thin just not at show weight right now. I would like him to have a bit more weight, stamina and have more muscle tone.

Next question
default_biggrin.png
how old is he?

They have muscle suppliments i have seen, im getting ready to order one to try out..they have various brands at various prices.

My biology class from freshman year is finially paying off, fat is the building blocks of protein and protein is the building blocks of muscle. Fat/Protein = muscle....knew i woud use that stuff some day for good
default_smile.png
. I like a 14% grain with high fat, and fiber too. Im feeding Nutrena Vitality Performance feed as of Christmas this year when my feed store gets it in, its 14% protein and 10% fat, i feed omlene 200 right now and the Nutrena Vitality is even better (compared feed labels) and costs less per 50lb bag and to feed.

I have two that i am trying to muscle up a yearling gelding and yearling classic filly..its allot of graining right now, prob will start in the roundpen around christmas. But going to get weight (and a little bit extra..) on them right now. Fat turn to muscle
default_smile.png

As soon as i get around to ordering one of those muscle suppliments im going to give them a try...do a google search, they are out there..just not sure if they work
default_smile.png

With what you answered it would not be a problem to work him out while upping his feed. In fact you will see more bloom as you work him out since the muscle will fill him out better. What a treat in the spring when you unwrap! I would not overdue on the workouts in the winter, and then increase them as you get closer to show season.

Latest posts

Back