Murderously Viscious Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
Usually, I annoy my mini mentors with such a question -- however, this situation needs a broader base from which to draw.

Late summer 2006, my friend purchased a mare/colt from an awful home. When mom/son were introduced into the herd, "Mama" visciously attacked her entire herd. Within five minutes, she “took over the herd” -- any horse getting within 10 yards received a swift, menacing fanny positioning. “Mama” meant iron-handed business.

PHOTOS OF MAMA PROVIDED A COUPLE POSTS DOWN

Two weeks ago, in desperation for lack of knowledge and proper facility, my friend brought the mare/foal to my home to “foal out”. The colt (almost Mama’s height) was still nursing. As she entered a 12x12 stall with 4” shavings with grassy hay sprinkled atop, Mama thoroughly enjoyed rolling for quite some time. Obviously, she once knew this luxury, immediately calming down within 30 minutes of arrival.

Mama’s anger transformed into joyfulness of a puppy, enjoying outward forms of human affection. We were equally shocked and awed.

Her colt stayed a few days, (weaning and Mama’s transition). In daylight hours, the snotty delinquent was turned out in a separate paddock away from Mama, Two days later, he entered the barn, only to find a vicious mare in a stall. Next day he went home.

During the past two weeks, Mama and I have formed a spiritual bond. Perhaps it’s a joint need for emotional healing. Doesn’t appear Mama’s in foal (will have blood test drawn), but I want to keep her for comfort.

QUESTION(s):

1. Ever experience a horse abhorring a herd situation? (Once blood test indicates normal levels)

2. If so, how did you introduce a horse into a herd situation?

3. Are there horses who exclusively prefer human companionship?

Forgive the lengthy post. However a third-person experience/knowledge is desperately needed.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
QUESTION(s):

1. Ever experience a horse abhorring a herd situation?

absolutely yes! I have know several that are much more secure with human contact having had a bad situational experience in a herd at one time. How old is she?

2. If so, how did you introduce a horse into a herd situation?

One, Keesha, prefered her own company, it took time but she finally did accept a small group of 6...one at a time over a couple months, she was queen but not vicious. Could you keep her on her own but nearby others for a while. I would be tempted to see if she remains this pussy cat with time. It could very well be she just hated where she was, the other horses she didn't like, maybe didn't have stall and was out 24/7? Thus the bliss at a stall. She may surprise you and be a happy herd member in time.

3. Are there horses who exclusively prefer human companionship?

Yes, my Halley would rather be with me than another horse. If I'm mowing she walks with me along the fence line, if I'm weeding flowers she is right there opposite me. If I could just have her run safely like a dog, I'd have her loose but it isn't practical or safe so I baby her, love her, spoil her terribly.

You may have found your soul mate in equine form Cindy. You know animals, they can feel things and no doubt she can feel your inner needs are much like hers. Keep her, love her, do things on her terms for a while and see who she really is. I'd love to see a picture of her.

Wow, what an amazing story.. It sounds like that mare came to the right place, for a little rest.

Do you have a "peace-maker" mare in your origional herd? One that seems to get along with everyone?

What I would do is- fence, or stall your new mare next to the peace maker, til you are sure they are ok with each others presence. (this may take a few days-could be more)

If you rail stall them next to each other, then they can exchange scratches, once they accept each other.

( you may have to try a couple different horses, but this has worked for me.)

She sounds a little threatened, so you might try introducing her to a few of your herd like this.. ( in her comfort zone)

Once the two seem accepting of each other..... then turn them out alone in the same pasture alone together.

Come feeding time put out two seperate piles of hay and feed near the fence..( next to the herd if possible)

As soon as her apprehension and aggression drops then she is becomming more accepting of the herd.

Who knows what her pecking order will ultimately be...
default_yes.gif
: She may be the dominate mare..

actually, Ghost was the very same way when she met the new mares.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Ghost would kick the snot out of poor Sugar if she came anywhere close to her. I found what worked best was to have one stalled and one out, with access to the stall, so they could meet over the fence. Within a few days, they got to know each other better. they had already decided over the fence that Ghost was the leader, so when they were together Sugar respected her space. now the two groom each other in the mornings.
default_wub.png
:

When i had to introduce Ghost to Princess for the first time (since i had just been through it with Sugar) i kept them separated the first week. There were occasional squeels, but they couldn't do anything being separated. They got to a point where when i'd let on out of the stall, she'd RUN over to the other's stall to visit. When i finally let them out together, they went right to being best buddies. :aktion033: groom each other all the time, and both mares respect the Queen, Ms. Ghost.
default_yes.gif
:

good luck with your mare, Cindy!!!!!!

I think you have something entirely different going on here. You have to remember the original place you said she came from.

Bonnie

I think you have something entirely different going on here. You have to remember the original place you said she came from.

Bonnie
Hi Bonnie:

Perhaps I have an "inkling" of what issues "Mama" is trying to overcome.

In the midst of her pasture rage and unable to halter her for obvious reasons, bend down by the gate. Immediately, Mama came to me.....frightened and wanting "the heck outta there".

With the suggestions you folks provided, I "staked" out "Timber" (peacemaker of the herd), just out of Mama's reach. (No flames, I'm staying right with them -- can watch as I type). Figured if they're both doing something they enjoy, fresh spring grass, Mama will have a positive experience.

MamaTimberMeetWide.jpg

As I turned to leave, Mama came running toward me like an insecure child.

MamaTowardTimber.jpg

Many thanks, folks, for your help.
default_wub.png
:

First let me say, I am SO GLAD to hear of another person having a murderously viscious mare! I thought I was all alone trying to explain a mare I have that literally went into "kill mode" with my other mare. I was told that there are often situations where mares have to duke out who is boss, but this wasn't just duking it out for who was boss! I have witnessed that numerous times...this was literally KILL MODE!

*phew*

Well now those two mares are inseperable! I took one mare to my friends house down the street for a while to let things settle down...about a month later I brought the mare back home and pastured her next to the "crazy mare"...witnessed a lot of "stomping" from crazy mare towards my other mare through the fenceline. Well, one rainy afternoon my nice mare refused to stand in her shelter and was outside soaking wet because she wanted a friend, and I said okay, enough, I put crazy mare in with her and wowee, there was one slight bicker, my NICE MARE WON, and now they are best friends! =)

I call it...a miracle =)

Hello Again,

Didn't mean to be mysterious i had a roomful of students and things going on, so had to quit kind of right in the middle of things.

You say she was in a bad place, not enough food etc. she learned to fight and fight hard for protection and survival. To her other animals mean more competition for food and things so she is staking out her claim right away and letting everyone know all of this is hers. if you have ever had foster children you will see some of this,such as hoarding etc.

You put her in a safe box where everything she needed was contained and there was no threat, there were walls around her and her food and water etc.

So probably for the first time in a long time she could relax and be"herself".

If you were to tell her she will always have enough food,it might just help probably not it will take time. I hope you can keep her.

Just my thoughts on it.
default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

I introduce slowly- through a fence at first. Then I introduce into a small group- a couple at a time. Depending on how they do, I add more as days go by. Some just dont do well in a big herd environment but might in a small one.

I have a "Murderously Viscious Mare"! I have had her since last July, and still she wants to kill the other mares, but not as bad. Now usually only at feed time, but sometimes she gets nasty anyway.

I felt when I first got her that I did not want to keep her! I even called the guy I got her from to see if he wanted her back. She was EVIL!!! She totally took over my other mare who was the boss and still will not let her come within 5 feet of her, even if it isn't feeding time. But the other "peace keeper" mare can come near her, as long as there is no food around! When in the stall and it is near feed time, she kicks and screams at any other horse next to her. She doesn't let up either until she is fed. It sometimes really gets on my nerves but I and the other stalled horses tend to ignore her when her evil twin comes out.

She is 8 and for 6 of those years it was only her, a stallion and she has had 2 foals. I figured she just never learned mare manners and must of always been boss, period! Was your mare with other mares? I would really like to know if she was. If not, than I will know that is why mine is the way she is. I feel she has gotten better but in no way is an angel.

I have also fallen in love with her! She really is a nice horse, to people like yours. She follows me like a dog and really enjoys attention. I probably would never part with her now since the others have learned to deal with her. GOOD LUCK!

My sister owned a missouri foxtrotter gelding who hated other horses. He had to live alone as he would do serious damage. I have known several other horses who could not live in a herd. It isn't that unusual.

Good luck with her she is very cute

Cindy,

What a pretty little mare. I just know with your great care, and love she will come around. I do think part of it is she wants to make sure she gets her share of food. Like Bonnie said she has prabably had to fight for food to survive, once she learns that there will always be something to eat she will probably settle down.

Good luck with her, if she doesn't adjust to the herd situation - just add another room on the house for her. :bgrin HA!! Actually I can REALLY see you doing just that!!
default_yes.gif
:

We have a twenty year old gelding that has never liked any group we've put him with. We've had him for 16 years.

Right now he's in a pasture being the grumpy old man with a group of youngsters. Fortunately the area is large enough that he can be off by himself.

His favorite times are when he's either doing a "job" for us Humans (like parades or giving kids rides), or when we just let him wander the property by himself.

MA

Latest posts

Back