Mule, Hinney or Donkey questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
My husband has a miniature Jennet that he is thinking of breeding. We have had a Jack and a donkey gelding before but both are gone now. I have a miniature stallion that we can breed her too but hubby is her owner and has a bunch of questions. tee hee. First off, does a mule or hinney bray? Are they as vocal as a donkey? (He loves to hear them talk and we miss that about the boys) Any pros or cons to either? We are hoping for a boy but a girl would be good too. Just wondering what other peoples' experiences are. Any stories or pictures would be great!! Thanks so much!

Its ALOT harder to achive a breeding between a stallion and a jenny for a hinny then it is breeding a jack to a mare. The majority of stallions (about 99%) will reject any breedings to a jenny, and then if you do get a stallion to bred a jenny, the chances of the foal being aborted are much greater then with a mule also.Hinnies are hard to obtain because of the differences in the number of chromosomes of the horse and the donkey. A donkey has 62 chromosomes, while a horse has 64. Hinnies, being a hybrids will have 63 chromosomes and are sterile. Because of the uneven number of chromosomes you will have a incomplete reproductive system. I am not sure, but I think I am the only one on the forum who has a stallion that will breed and settle a jenny fast. If anyone else has one and has produced hinny's let me know. My hinnies dont sound like a regular bray, but they do talk to me! Mine are super pocket pets, and cant get enough attention. The hinny also looks more horse-like then a mule does.
SnickersWhatisthisstuffredo.jpg

My mules are just as vocal as the donkeys. The donkeys are louder by far but with 6 mules.....they tend to gang up on us. :bgrin

[SIZE=12pt]Okay, I have a question. Do mules and hinny's "hee haw" or whinny or is it a combination of both? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

It's a combination of both. Each one has a different sound too just like the donkeys do.

WOW--dont really know how to answer that :bgrin My hinnies dont sound like a horse or a donkey~~~ mine sound like they are trying there darnest to bray :eek: but its coming our more horse like, :new_shocked: well :bgrin :bgrin a combo! From Shawans post its the same with mules. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, when I used to board my horses, my clydesdale was stalled next to this most beautiful mule. His name was Muley (original, huh?) and he was jet black and built like a thoroughbred. Stunning. Well, for some reason he was on stall rest and when I would come to clean my clyde's stall, he would wait until I was up next to the divider and let out the loudest bray I have ever heard! I swear my ears were ringing for 10 minutes afterward. And now that I have donkeys, I realize that Muley's bray was exactly the same as my donkey's braying now. (Sometimes it goes on so long you're thinking, "take a breath already!").

So I'm guessing the braying on mules and hinneys can vary anyway between the donkey's bray and the horse's whinney.

I like the braying, but decided only to feed grain in the early evening because I didn't want them yelling at me at 6 am if I was late bringing their breakfast!! Somehow the neighbors can handle it better at 4 or 5 pm!

Jayne

Thank you everyone for the great input. Poor hubby doesn't know what the heck he wants to do. lol. Both the Jennet and the stallion are pintos but my stallion is a silver. Can they pass the silver on to a hinney?

Latest posts

Back