Mud Slide in my Barn!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Last night it poured with thunder and lightening non-stop!! Needless to say I didn't get much sleep, thunder and pounding rain was unbelievable!! So this morning I was out to my barn at 6:45 and YES it was still raining!! My run in covered area never gets very wet but the crushed blue stone was soaked and there was red mud covering the entire area! I opened the barn door there was red mud all over the floor (stall mats over crushed stone is my flooring)!!
default_gaah.gif
The stall where Misty and Josie were was not too bad. Mostly wet pine shavings, a little mud and crushed stone across half the stall. So I began the clean up.....of course my husband is away so just me and my shovel, rake, hose and broom!! Oh and my Muck Boots!!! It took a couple of hours to get the mud out. There was a set-back at lunch time with another down pour but as the mud started to flow I raked the crushed stone into a pile to divert the water/mud! Never had a problem with heavy rain before!

We had 6.27 inches here from 10pm last night and 6am this morning!!!!!!!!!
default_closedeyes.gif
I hope the sun comes out tomorrow and dries everything up!!
default_please.gif

I can sympathize, I'm in Southern Maryland, and it has been raining heavily for days. I do only have one flooded stall, and it is empty, I wouldn't have that one, but the wind tore off part of my barns gutter. All of my dry lots are now mud holes, and my foal that could lay in the dry barn actually laid in the mud yesterday when the sun came out for an hour, now he is filthy. Our neighbor had a tree come down and as soon as the storms stop we will help them cut it up, they dont' have a chain saw. Oh, and the weeds are growing, and can't get any outside work done in the rain. It is supposed to stop for tomorrow, so hopefully I can get to town and buy horse feed.

I am getting nailed with this rain also. I hope it lets up today. I have sewage pumps in the barn yard in a couple of spots where flooding normally occurs and it has helps keep the barn dry but holy smokes, they have been working none stop since yesterday. They are saying it should taper off by noon here today, fingers crossed!

Oh, wow...I am feeling for you. Hope the rain stops soon, for you.

Northern Maryland here...the sun is out again today but good grief is my barn area a mud bog. Thankfully, the stalls in my run sheds (two sheds with their 12x12 and 12x10 areas divided with doors and stall mats) are in good shape. It just makes it really hard to walk around out there as it is *so* slippery and I have to walk with such care and sometimes that doesn't even work. Yesterday I watched my girls take turns rolling in the mud. Seriously, as soon as one would get up, the next one would lay down and roll. Over and over and over. Goofy horses.

I need to be out there working on our training but can't because the mud is too slipper for all of us. The sun is out and I'm hoping it last for a bit and dries things out enough before the next round comes in tomorrow.

Not to thread hijack but I have a story to add because I can relate to all of the rain. The day I had the vet out to geld one of my boys I had planned the operation get done in the outdoor run. Well, plans changed. Flash flood warnings, a few underpasses flooded, my front yard flooded. Actually our whole property was a pond. I cleaned up a stall really well and bedded it deep in hay for the operation. Moved the boy from the outdoor run into the pen and waited for the vet to dry off. Vet called and said it would be later. I left this boy outside in the pen, he jumped out and was in the backyard. I figured, "oh well" he'd just run around like a nut until the vet came. Well, that didn't last too long, he jumped into the stall with the BOYS!
default_frusty.gif
So then he was back out in the run, the original place I had him, getting soaked. Vet came, did surgery in the dry pen. Once horsey woke up he started acting edgy, like he wanted to jump out of the pen. That's all I need is to have him gut himself. So, he's been in the pasture ever since. I feel bad, though, other horses are in the soaked floor barn while his hormones calm down. I think I will test how he is with a horse through the fence today to see if I can let someone out. This rain sure isn't fun for horse or human. It's still better than snow, I guess!
default_rolleyes.gif

Woke up to sun shining this morning!!! Barn and run in beginning to dry out! But also woke up to a large thud?? Yikes what now!!! Looked out the window to see a HUGE tree limb in my front yard! Never a dull moment, who said retirement was relaxing!?? So I have a friend who has a tree business coming by in the morning. Need a peaceful day here!!

You had sun! What did it look like, can you take a photo of it? Seriously, we have tons of rain also. Tomorrow should be dry then we go back to more wet weather. Weekend should be dry then it starts raining again Mon and Tues. My stalls are for the most part dry but the yards may have to be drained with a pump. We have clay soil here, nice grass but oh the mud!

Great News! NOT!!
default_thumbdown.gif
I just watched the weather and according to the weatherman there will be strong storms starting Thursday afternoon into the night time! He said "heavy rain" just what we need, NOT again!! Also there will be high winds 50-60 miles per hour. I hope and pray I don't have any more mud slides or trees down!!!!
default_pray.gif
This was the first time I had any water or mud come into my barn. I am so picky, my barn has to be clean, clean! Floors are always swept clean and fresh bedding every day. So this mud thing totally unnerved me!
default_gaah.gif

We got some sun yesterday as well, but still not enough to dry things out. More storms moving in tonight. For now the sun is out, but won't last. I'm going to the feed store while it is out, get feed and freash bedding. Even if the stalls stayed dry, the bedding is damp from the high humidity

Latest posts

Back