Moving to either FL or NM

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broff

Reaction score
OK, here it goes: we are facing a work transfer from MD to either Tampa, FL or Roswell, NM. We have lived many place in Texas and other Southern States - thanks to the Military but never in those States.

Our Shetlands were born in MD and I am worried about moving them South - I have heard that some can get anhidrosis and that it would be better to buy a local pony. I love my ponies and would only leave them behind if I have no other choice.

I would love to hear from folks who have done that move, as well as any tips, advice, suggestions, etc...

I am pretty certain that Deanne Gutman who lives in Rising Sun,MD has taken her ponies to and from FL for long term..Maybe find someone who has her e mail or phone and talk to her.She used to have her judges license for AMHR-not sure if she still has it.Her contact number may be in the Journal.

I'm from florida and have had horses there from all over the place and they never suffered from it. They do however suffer badly in the heat so that is your main concern. Heat and sand colic.

Roswell is low desert. Very dry there, not humid like Florida. I don't know if that makes a difference. If animals have shade in the desert they usually do fine. Good luck with your move.

I moved 4 horses from Oregon to Florida in 2010 and they along with other horses I have bought from the northern states have all been fine. They still grow long winter hair, but clipping heads/necks is what a lot of people do in the winter here (or body clip IF you have stalls and blankets for the "colder" nights). I wouldn't worry about your horses acclimating to a different climate.

I hope they will be. Not so sure about me! Anyone from NM who knows the horse scene around Roswell? I will need to find a place to board the ponies before we can find a place of our own. I don't want to rush buying something.

Latest posts

Back