Mounting Issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhea

Reaction score
I've been working with this pony for two months, and had this brilliant idea to ask people about his one (large) problem on here, maybe someone will have ideas that I other people I've asked don't...

He is an awesome little pony, and once he's under saddle and moving there's nothing wrong in him, the biggest problem is mounting. At home he'll stand without moving a foot for mounting, but in new situations such as shows, he has some issues. He is totally fine until I'm all the way up, and sometimes waits until I ask him to move or something, then he has a "pony fit" (ie: He rears, bucks, crowhops, etc) He stops eventually at his own leisure, and after that he won't put a foot wrong, even any mounting again afterwards. I don't really mind it that much as my old pony put me through enough stuff, but he is for sale and I don't feel safe selling him as a "broke" pony with this problem.

As for some history, he was a driving pony, so he wasn't at all "pampered"... he was trained for saddle by a woman with lots of experience who has been around forever. We brought him home and I got on him the day after, he pulled his little stunt, but he never did it again at home so I assumed that it was a one time thing. But now we've realized that it's the first mount in every new situation. (Added: Sorry for the crazy run on sentence )

For what I've previously tried:

Walking him around for a while with tack on before getting on to make sure it's all positioned correctly (However, doesn't seem to be a problem with tack, because I can get off him and get on him again and he's fine, or change saddles and get on him and he's fine)

I ALWAYS make sure that he's paying attention to me before I mount, so I don't startle him.

Positioning him face up against a wall or fence (So he can't move forwards)

We are going to check his teeth and back, but I don't understand why he wouldn't do it at home then? Or why he will only do it once?

I don't come off that easily and really only mind the rearing (he caught the visor on my helmet real good yesterday...happy I was wearing it or it would have been my nose he'd broken!!!). I don't really understand that he can behave so good after his "pony fit"...aside from occaisional moments of pony "I-don't-wanna" which is normal and we can work through.

For those wondering, yes I am only 17 and I only have 12 years experience, but I have started a few horses, all of which have ended up awesome and showing very well. I know I have TONS left to learn, so please no flames! I'm happy and willing to take constructive critcism and advice!

Sorry it's soo long. Hope someone has some good advice?

A bit more info, please.

Does he start immediately or can you sit there for a moment and then when you ask him to go forward the trouble starts???

Boy I don't know unless you can boil it down to something that all these instances have in common.

You could also check your gear for anything that may be irritating or hurting him coincidentally and the teeth is a good idea too.

I don't have a clue unless like I said there is something going on that we can't begin to guess at (some situation or occurrence that is happening that might happen along with these new situations such as something you're doing inadvertently or something he's hearing, etc.). I have to say I would probably contact Bonnie Fogg in this case as it doesn't hurt to try, and she may be able to give you some more insight on which to continue your work with him.

I would hate to give up on a horse that already seems so promising for something that may in fact be minor and easily corrected.

Good luck and please do, if you find out, let us know what you determine.

Liz M.

He's got a pony 'tude! LOLOL My ol gelding, whos speeds were slow, slower and OMG that turtle is passing us! Would throw a hissy at every new arena, only the first time there and never again. Was just his way of saying YAHHH!!! a NEW PLACE!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

k, with the idea that your pony isnt in pain and is just overly excited you have several fixes available. First, you could have someone hold him while you mount, then walk you a bit. But then this would become a problem, what if you didnt have someone there? You could draw up the inside rein quite short so he cannot get the leverage to rear. But then you will have to watch for him spinning into you and or still trying to rear and loosing his balance. Yu could immediatly ask for a back once on if he throws a fit, but you will have to be sure he will drop his head and give and not throw it up. If you are expecting this issue, you could set him up with some leadlines for reins and when he starts to throw the fit , if you are on the ground ask him to boogy it around you, make him work! Let him know this is not ok, not at all. Ask him to stop, make all things your choice. Try mounting again, still a butt, then do the same thing, but for longer. Try again and etcetera LOL If he is a good boy, reward him with praise and pats.

Try and go new places as often as possible. I never got my ol man out of that habit. Never really tried. he wasnt going to be sold, was THE best lesson/show horse i had ever had and that was his one vice. Well, that and his inability to go any faster than the speed of a snail. That was half dead. In the sun.Uphill. In August.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Well one thing you might want to try if he is rearing everytime is breaking an egg on his poll when he rears. This is an old time solution that I have found works really well on horses, if you don't want to use eggs you can try water balloons also although I have never used the water balloons I have been told that they work just as well.

I think that he now knows that he can get away with his "temper trantrum" and will continue to pull it until he is firmly corrected.

JMHO

Latest posts

Back