More Colour Grief...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiccanz

Reaction score
Got my DNA kits from AMHA yesterday, and sure enough, they are not recognising Smokey Cream as a colour, even though I provided proof of testing :no:

The options I have been given are Cremello or Champagne. It strikes me as rather bizaar that they would accept Champagne as a colour when there is no test for it, but not Smokey Cream when there is a test
default_wacko.png
:

Now I really am going to feel dishonest when I register him as Cremello, when I know he is not
default_unsure.png
:

If AMHA managed to add Champagne to their colour database, why not Smokey Cream?

I feel your frustration. The "recognized" colors needs to be brought up to what is reality. I had to choose when registering my silver buckskin filly between buckskin and dapple buckskin (which could be silver to some people or just dappled to others).

For what it is worth, given the choices they allowed you, I also would have picked cremello.

I have seen "Cream" used- would they accept Cream??

It is TOTALLY wrong for them to attempt to force you to misidentify your horse- as you all know Cremello is RED based and Smoky Cream is BLACK based- which is important and relevant colour information.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what is wrong with the AMHA??

Why are they just not doing their job ob this matter??

I find this totally beyond comprehension.

I have seen "Cream" used- would they accept Cream??

It is TOTALLY wrong for them to attempt to force you to misidentify your horse- as you all know Cremello is RED based and Smoky Cream is BLACK based- which is important and relevant colour information.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what is wrong with the AMHA??

Why are they just not doing their job ob this matter??

I find this totally beyond comprehension.

Jane I am just curious and maybe this has been answered before but what do they do there? are they registering horses as smokey cream or whatever the correct colors are?

the horses you have registered over here with AMHA are they the same colors as you list over there?

That would be a huge headache to have them all registered different colors
default_wacko.png
:

In the AMHA database on the studbook they do not have several colors listed. They use the code CR which they say is cremello........ for several colors. They use that code for champagne (which is a TOTALLY different gene from Cream) and they also use it for ANY double cream dilute because as of now it is the only one of the double cream dilutes listed and they also do not have champagne listed.

What they WILL do is put the proper color on the registration papers. My champagne papers all say champagne, but when I look them up in the studbook it says PCR for pinto champagnes or SCR for solid champagnes. And the CR is the code for Cremello.

So it is not only Smoky Creams that do not have a color code in their database but several. I am glad they will put it on the papers but it is too bad that the data base says something totally different.

And all of my champagnes are black based or bay based also and of course cremello is red based. So that is faulty also.

Hopefully they will eventually get it updated to handle more colors. :)

Here is the list as of now.

Susan O.

Code Style/Patten Color

ABA APPALOOSA BAY

ABK APPALOOSA BLACK

ABR APPALOOSA BROWN

ABS APPALOOSA BUCKSKIN

ACS APPALOOSA CHESTNUT

ADN APPALOOSA DUN

AGL APPALOOSA GRULLO

AGR APPALOOSA GREY

ABN APPALOOSA ROAN BLUE

APA APPALOOSA PALOMINO

ARB APPALOOSA ROAN BAY

ANR APPALOOSA ROAN RED

ASR APPALOOSA SORREL

ASD APPALOOSA SILVER DAPPLE

AWT APPALOOSA WHITE

DBA DAPPLE BAY

DBR DAPPLE BROWN

DBS DAPPLE BUCKSKIN

DCS DAPPLE CHESTNUT

DDN DAPPLE DUN

DGR DAPPLE GREY

DPA DAPPLE PALOMINO

DSL DAPPLE SILVER

LBA PINTALOOSA BAY

LBK PINTALOOSA BLACK

LBF PINTALOOSA BROWN

LBS PINTALOOSA BUCKSKIN

LCS PINTALOOSA CHESTNUT

LDN PINTALOOSA DUN

LGL PINTALOOSA GRULLO

LGR PINTALOOSA GREY

LNB PINTALOOSA BLUE ROAN

LNR PINTALOOSA RED ROAN

LPA PINTALOOSA PALOMINO

LRB PINTALOOSA BAY ROAN

LSR PINTALOOSA SORREL

LSD PINTALOOSA SILVER DAPPLE

LWT PINTALOOSA WHITE

PBA PINTO BAY

PBK PINTO BLACK

PBL PINTO BLUE ROAN

PBR PINTO BROWN

PBS PINTO BUCKSKIN

PCR PINTO CREMELLO

PCS PINTO CHESTNUT

PDN PINTO DUN

PGL PINTO GRULLO

PGR PINTO GREY

PPA PINTO PALOMINO

PRB PINTO ROAN BAY

PRC PINTO ROAN CHESTNUT

PRD PINTO RED DUN

PRG PINTO ROAN GREY

PRK PINTO ROAN BLACK

PRR PINTO ROAN RED

PSD PINTO SILVER DAPPLE

PSR PINTO SORREL

RBA ROAN BAY ROAN

RBK ROAN BLACK ROAN

RBR ROAN BROWN ROAN

RCS ROAN CHESTNUT ROAN

RDN ROAN DUN ROAN

RGR ROAN GREY ROAN

RGN ROAN BLUE ROAN

RNR ROAN RED ROAN

SBA SOLID BAY

SBK SOLID BLACK

SBR SOLID BROWN

SBS SOLID BUCKSKIN

SCR SOLID CREMELLO

SCS SOLID CHESTNUT

SDB SOLID BLUE DUN

SDN SOLID DUN

SDR SOLID RED DUN

SGD SOLID GREY DUN

SGL SOLID GRULLO

SGR SOLID GREY

SPA SOLID PALOMINO

SSR SOLID SORREL

SSD SOLID SILVER DAPPLE

SWT SOLID WHITE

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa I am not functioning very well at the moment- I am not absolutely certain what you are asking but I will try to answer- No, in a nutshell our breeders are as good and as bad at identifying colours as everyone else, and to be honest I do not think we have had a Smoky Cream born here yet- if we had, and if it were identified as such then I am the person my registry would ask, if they did not know what it was, and so that simplifies things (or not, depending on how compos mentis I am at the time!!!)

I do not think we have a list of accepted colours- I had never even considered it- I shall ask and find out, forthwith!!

Hopefully in the future, AMHA will recognise ALL the colours - especially as the breed standard actually says that all colours are acceptable!!

What I think really bugs me is that I have PROOF that the horse is the colour he is. It's not just my opinion!

In New Zealand, having proof of his colour was enough for him to be registered correctly. I look forward to the day when I can have him correctly registered with AMHA.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back