Moon Danze update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Well it has been a long tough road, she is still not 100% up on her feed but definatly improving!

When I asked for your help she looked like this:

Registry10-2117.jpg

Registry10-2118.jpg

Today, thanks esp to someone who PM'd me and put us on the right track:

moondanze017.jpg

moondanze030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She's looking so much better. Great job! Gotta say your pictures of her remind me sooooo much of Toto (one of the Kansas Kids) when he was here with me.

Oh MUCH improvement!!! Please share your knowledge and what you have now done differently so it may help others in the future. Great job!
default_aktion033.gif

Well the "cure" was more or less a fishing trip!

Initially thought ulcers, started with Rinitadine and yogurt as I had those at home....got worse.

Called vet, next step was adding Carafate 3 x daily and gastrogard daily....no change after 1 week so next step

5 day deworm with double dose of Panacur...started researching other possibilities

A pm tipped me off to Lawsonia...follow up with the vet and blood screens (very low Albumen...slightly high fibrinogen) pointed to

Lawsonia (Not heard of in minis)

Rt dorsal colitis

Internal abscess

So we added Chloremphenical 3 x daily for 3 weeks.

She would not even look at new types of feed so just had to wait it out. She is still slow to clean up her grain but eats hay and grass, loves the "tea" from the soaked alfalfa cubes but doesn't eat much of the cubes themselves.

She is off all meds now except will keep up the gastrogard for a while...with all this cocktail of treatments sure can't hurt.

Lessons learned:

A good vet is priceless!

Asking for help from a broad audience (forum) helps-offers options outside of the normal path of diagnosis

A good vet is priceless!!

and a couple things we should all remember...

a skinny mini is not always the fault of the owner...

if you are doing everything you can think of and not getting results ask for help outside normal channels!!
default_yes.gif

I here you there!!! (above last statement)

Bay (Lady Bug) has all her weight back on and looks great after the vet found out what was wrong with her.

I agree that a skinny horse is not always down to neglect, when I brought my Arab mare home after colic surgery I had to hide her at a friends place and took her out for exercise wearing a blanket, she was so bad!

The difference between her, your filly and, for instance, Champ is that we both had our animals under a Vet, being treated, and they did not think there was anything wrong with the way theirs looked!

She is obviously on the road to recovery now, I am so glad you found the answer!

and a couple things we should all remember...

a skinny mini is not always the fault of the owner...

if you are doing everything you can think of and not getting results ask for help outside normal channels!!
default_yes.gif
I have a skinny one now, he has a checkered past, which I'm certain includes severe parasite damage. I'm slowly learning what he needs to stay healthy (have only had him 18 months), which among other things includes at least a once yearly 5-day purge (my vet only recommends once yearly, when needed; anyone out there have other thoughts on the frequency of 5-day purge?)

Personally I think fecal exams once or twice a year are becoming more and more important in keeping tabs on your worming program. I was very surprised a few years back when horses started turning up with higher fecal loads...had been a wet year and with the advise of my vet I changed timing of administration, types of wormers used and my pasture rotation schedule until retests showed we were back in control of things!

I would like to ask if your filly had diarehha?? i have a yearling filly that barely eats, has diarehha and is thin. im waiting on fresh poop to take a sample to the vet.. but im also wondering if i should take blood in also??

she has been treated for ulcers by a previous owner but i didnt find that she didnt act like she had ulcers.

i have wormed her a few times since i have had her. my fillys body condition is about the same as yours was in the first pictures in the first post...

Moon Danze never had diarrhea however colitis and lawsonia (or internal abscess or incisted strongials) can both cause diarrhea depending on what part of the bowel the disease sets up house in.

Might be worth talking with your vet about as a possible cause.

Back