Mom having back surgery for bulging disks - any others have that & how it turned out?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chpmnk1

Reaction score
hi all I am still sitting awake because I am worried about my mom. Sigh....just can't sleep so thought I would come & see if anyone has personally experienced this or not . My mom has never had any kind of surgery and to be honest I wouldn't surprised if she is also laying awake right now...I got my worry wart ways from her......

Anyway my mom is like a sister to me, we are so darn close I can't even begin to say how close. I'm sure others of you are the same but I am really worried about her. She has 2 bulging disks in her lower back & has pretty much been down for the last 7 mths. She wanted to try PT and then she tried the steroid shots. I took her to a lot of these appts. when my dad was working real long hrs so I have been along for this "ride" and hoping that one of them would have helped.

My mom is one of those active, can't sit still, always moving people and it's been hard seeing her deal with this the last several mths. She pretty much has got around by using pain meds but I don't think I've ever in my life seen my mom laying around so much or down other than when she was pregnant with my younger sister.

Have any of you guys dealt with this back surgery and what were your results? The Dr says that of all the back surgerys this is one of the "minor" ones but he is still going to be working at her spine and I know she is scared to death. Please keep her in your prayers and any similar situations, etc. would be appreciated. I'm sure there are some horror stories but I would love to hear some good stories!!

I haven't been on much for quite a while because of this and also my dad and my mother-in-law having health problems too, but I did lurk quite a bit & occassionally put in my 2 cents and thought I would come to you guys for some comfort.
default_smile.png

Lisa

Two years ago I had it done and wish it wouldn't have taken me the months it did to go in.
default_no.gif

I'm a typical redneck, "what do we need them ther doctors for" and for weeks would start every morning pulling myself out of bed. It got to a point where I was bawling in the shower every morning before chores because it hurt so bad. (That's me, the smart one.
default_rolleyes.gif
)

After weeks of that, then weeks of trying the chiropractic route, then weeks of shots (had to do the full set of shot for insurance to cover the surgery) I finally got in and had the surgery. They cautioned that I might not feel immediate relief but I woke up myself again. Would do it again in a heartbeat but sooner. I had to walk X amount every two hours and it was the dead of winter in SD so I had a path wore going round and round the house.
default_laugh.png

I know a few others that have had it done and their results are similar to mine. There are always the other side of the coin but for me and those that I know it has been really "life altering" in the best sense of the word.

Best wishes for your mom.

Thanks so much Marlee!! for your story God, I so hope this helps my mom to be back where she was before. She has been this way real bad for 7 mths and although she has had back problems periodically for the last 34 years it's always went away. She fell down on ice back in February & we think maybe that just did it the rest of the way. Doc told us about 90% make a very good recovery so that is good chances. Although we did ask what would happen if she didn't have the surgery(she was actually considering that!, My mom hates to even go to the dentist) and he told us case studies show that you can get better(not sure how exactly) but average is usually 4-5 years of being in the same condition.

My mom said there was absolutely no way she could do that for that long, but she was actually talking over the weekend about cancelling the surgery. She's just scared to death about it, but I took her out for a nice dinner tonight to a special place since the Dr says at least 6 weeks recovery time. I do remember on her surgery paperwork it did say about taking short walks every day so I am just praying all goes well today.

I have to put my son on the bus @ 8:30 and then my dad & I have to have her at the hospital @ 9am so I guess I really should be sleeping but am just nervous and can't seem to sleep.

THANKS so much for your story though! I appreciate it!

Best wishes for a successful surgery for your Mom. I too suffered, but in my case 4 years. This was way back in 1968 when the surgeries were very risky and troublesome. It took 4 years before they could figure out what was wrong. Long story short, it took 4 hour because my spinal nerves were so entwined around the discs. Recovery: Yes 6 weeks. Final outcome: 7 weeks later I was on my snowmobile. I have you and your Mom and family in my prayers today and for a fast recovery. I'm very sure she will be fine. (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) to you all.

I've had it done too, probably 25 years or so ago. I'd also do it again. Back then not all those surgeries were successful. Thankfully mine was. I'm fine now unless I do something stupid; if I do the pain comes back but doesn't last forever like it did before the surgery.

Sending good thoughts for your Mom. I know it's frightening to face surgery but I predict that she'll wish she hadn't waited so long.

My Stepdad was injured at work last year, which resulted in several bulging discs. He had one surgery, which didn't help (not sure why?) and then had another surgery, which completely cured the severe pain that he was in. It's been a long, slow recovery for him, but he's doing great.

Good luck on your Mom's surgery!!

Each surgery is different for each patient. I had a fusion done in the lower back and my DOC was a surgeon that I worked for. After several years of pain and PT-OT-SHOTS & all that goes with it I had it done. He did go thru the front of me and remove the bad disk and insert the titanium screws...I was up and walking that evening and wore a hard brace for 3 mths. That was in 2003 and was doing great till a head-on collision in 2006 now I have pain again and some other issues due to the injuries I suffered from that accident. I would do it again for the relief it gave me though. She should be fine but needs to follow exactly what the docs tell her to do and with the advances they have now some of the surgeries are now minimally invasive and do not tear up the nerves and muscle they once did. Help her will her recovery as my kids did because as a parent sometimes WE do not like for our kids to be taking care of us...Good Luck and prayers are with you and her
default_saludando.gif

My Mom has had 4 back surgeries in about 3 years, she is still in lots of pain, she is now trying a nerve block. Everyone is different though.

I hope her surgery goes well, it is awful to be in pain, hopefully they will be able to help her.

My BF had to have that same surgery in 3 different places.

Surgeon said if he had known how easily he was going to recover from the one,

he would have done them all at once.

He was up and walking around an hour and a half after surgery
default_new_shocked.gif

He never gets sick! I think he's only had a 24 hour bug (maybe) 3 times in 19 years.It's just not right
default_no.gif

Hope it works out. My hubby herniated his lower back a few years ago. Since then, he's had back trouble and he's been down for days at a time due to it. We've looked into surgery, but we've heard a lot about some going wrong. So we keep waiting until we hear of a great success story and him to be bad enough for us to try it.
default_unsure.png

Thanks everyone for your kind words & thoughts!!

To UPDATE; Her surgery went well on last Wednesday but we were there much later than expected but the doc said it went quite well. Unfortunately she was having some urination problems after surgery & we had to take her back to the hospital ER on Friday. I was so angry because she had to sit in a darn wheelchair from like 11:30am til almost 4pm. I know they have to triage & take the most hurt people but I hated seeing my mom suffering after just having surgery. I finally had enough & threw a fit so they at least gave her more pain meds after a couple hrs & finally got us back to a room. They had to put a catheter on her & she won't get that off til this Friday. Now my mom is quite upset and wishing she had never had the surgery. I have to keep telling her that sometimes stuff like this can happen & that needs to see what the end results will be and trying to boost her spirits. I go up & check on her every day & spend time with her. I am lucky to actually live across from my parents the last 2 years.

But as of today she is still mostly on her back & walking around short walks 3-4x a day. She told me today that at times she still has alot of pain in her back and occasional pressure. I told her I think it is because she just had surgery so pain is to be expected regardless and I keep checking her incision area which looks great with no swelling or redness, but any of you others who have had surgery did your recovery seem similar(other than the urine problem)? And how soon after surgery were you actually starting to feel an actual difference?

I know every person's recovery is different but can run on similar lines so would love to give my mom some more comfort if I can tell her what others are saying. Right now she's kind of down in the dumps and looks miserable and it seems to help her if I can tell her how others did.

Thanks again for all your comments and thoughts!!

My Mom's surgery was alittle different, they actually removed disks. She felt better almost instantly, of course there was pain from the surgery, but that wasn't as bad as what she had been dealing with already. She had to be careful after though, she couldn't even bend to tie her shoes...what I mean is she could bend, but was told not to, it didn't hurt so it was hard for her to "not" do things. I think that's why she had to go back and have more surgery. I think she inadvertantly did simple things because it didn't hurt which caused damage during healing.

Tell your Mom to hang in there, it will get better, it's going to take a little time. I'm sorry for her complications. Give her a big hug from me. You know how parents always say how it's terrible to watch your kids in pain...it's also terrible when the kid has to watch the parents pain too...so big hug to you too.

I'll be sending prayers.

hi all I am still sitting awake because I am worried about my mom. Sigh....just can't sleep so thought I would come & see if anyone has personally experienced this or not . My mom has never had any kind of surgery and to be honest I wouldn't surprised if she is also laying awake right now...I got my worry wart ways from her......
Anyway my mom is like a sister to me, we are so darn close I can't even begin to say how close. I'm sure others of you are the same but I am really worried about her. She has 2 bulging disks in her lower back & has pretty much been down for the last 7 mths. She wanted to try PT and then she tried the steroid shots. I took her to a lot of these appts. when my dad was working real long hrs so I have been along for this "ride" and hoping that one of them would have helped.

My mom is one of those active, can't sit still, always moving people and it's been hard seeing her deal with this the last several mths. She pretty much has got around by using pain meds but I don't think I've ever in my life seen my mom laying around so much or down other than when she was pregnant with my younger sister.

Have any of you guys dealt with this back surgery and what were your results? The Dr says that of all the back surgerys this is one of the "minor" ones but he is still going to be working at her spine and I know she is scared to death. Please keep her in your prayers and any similar situations, etc. would be appreciated. I'm sure there are some horror stories but I would love to hear some good stories!!

I haven't been on much for quite a while because of this and also my dad and my mother-in-law having health problems too, but I did lurk quite a bit & occassionally put in my 2 cents and thought I would come to you guys for some comfort.
default_smile.png

Lisa
I'm suprised they are touching the bulging discs. Here the Doctor's don't like to touch them unless they have ruptured. My mom has had 2 bulging discs for 15 years, one just ruptured this summer. She's had 2 shots and they don't help so they want to try something else before surgery. I told her she's going to tell the doctor that he's going to do the surgery instead because she's in so much pain. She has fibromyalgia from the trama. She had fallen at work when working as a janitor for the school district that long ago. She actually had another that had ruptured right away and had that one taken care of. My mom takes so many pain meds that I think she's addicted now, and the doctor has taken away a few already and they are trying to take more away slowly as she's been on them for so long.

Good luck to your mom she'll be fine.

Christy

Thanks everyone for your kind words & thoughts!!
To UPDATE; Her surgery went well on last Wednesday but we were there much later than expected but the doc said it went quite well. Unfortunately she was having some urination problems after surgery & we had to take her back to the hospital ER on Friday. I was so angry because she had to sit in a darn wheelchair from like 11:30am til almost 4pm. I know they have to triage & take the most hurt people but I hated seeing my mom suffering after just having surgery. I finally had enough & threw a fit so they at least gave her more pain meds after a couple hrs & finally got us back to a room. They had to put a catheter on her & she won't get that off til this Friday. Now my mom is quite upset and wishing she had never had the surgery. I have to keep telling her that sometimes stuff like this can happen & that needs to see what the end results will be and trying to boost her spirits. I go up & check on her every day & spend time with her. I am lucky to actually live across from my parents the last 2 years.

But as of today she is still mostly on her back & walking around short walks 3-4x a day. She told me today that at times she still has alot of pain in her back and occasional pressure. I told her I think it is because she just had surgery so pain is to be expected regardless and I keep checking her incision area which looks great with no swelling or redness, but any of you others who have had surgery did your recovery seem similar(other than the urine problem)? And how soon after surgery were you actually starting to feel an actual difference?

I know every person's recovery is different but can run on similar lines so would love to give my mom some more comfort if I can tell her what others are saying. Right now she's kind of down in the dumps and looks miserable and it seems to help her if I can tell her how others did.

Thanks again for all your comments and thoughts!!
THe first 2 wks are bad as I would have spasms in my back and of course the anesthsia has to work its way out of her body. Tell her baby steps...one day at a time. drink lots of fluids (stay away from sugary drinks) to keep hydrated and keep the plumping working. Hopefully she does not smoke as that will delay healing. Protein helps the body heal too. It is a major surgery and if they went thru her back (mine was thru the front) they cut thru muscle and tendons so the healing is slower. (mine was mostly belly fat)
default_rolleyes.gif
remember you heal from the outside in. Tell here to hang in their and be supportive some days are good and some not so good. Moving around although painful will help the healing process and keep the stiffness down some and it helps prevent blood clots and pnemonia. If she is on pain meds they of course cause the dreaded constipation (again drink water) It took a good month where I felt half way decent. Looks like you will be cooking Thanksgiving this year...LOL
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear things aren't going as well for your Mom as you hoped. I was walking around about 3 hours after my surgery with no pain at all. When I was released from the hospital 3 days later (as soon as they removed the staples) I asked them when they wanted to see me again. They said "we don't; you should be fine; call us if you have problems. Of course that may have been different than most Dr's because mine was done at a military hospital.

As far as going to the ER is concerned I can totally relate. After sitting in the waiting room for 7 1/2 hours one day with my mom we quit taking her ourselves. We had her taken in by ambulance and at least they put her in a bed rather than have her sitting in the waiting room....'course there still was a wait for treatment but at least she was more comfortable.

Tell your mom to keep her chin up. Any surgery, even with no complications, is a strain on the body

I had it in 1995. The disc was breaking off and fell into the canal where the nerves to my left leg were. I was losing the use of my leg prior to surgery but am fine now. I ended up with a spinal fusion of L4 and L5. Took about 6 weeks to feel good again.

wishing your mom the best.

Lyn

My mom had a buldging disk , about 32 years ago , I was a little girl , and she is fine. Now that was back in the stone ages..and they have only improved since then...My mother has also had 2 knee surgurys , and replaced hip , another hip replacement next week, a new knee...the list continues...she gets through these surgurys no problem. I wouldnt worry...but I would watch the meds..they tend to over do it with the pain meds , and it will make your mom seem crazy . When she is off the meds , she will be back to normal. She will be just fine!!!
default_wink.png

My Mom's surgery was alittle different, they actually removed disks. She felt better almost instantly, of course there was pain from the surgery, but that wasn't as bad as what she had been dealing with already. She had to be careful after though, she couldn't even bend to tie her shoes...what I mean is she could bend, but was told not to, it didn't hurt so it was hard for her to "not" do things. I think that's why she had to go back and have more surgery. I think she inadvertantly did simple things because it didn't hurt which caused damage during healing.
Tell your Mom to hang in there, it will get better, it's going to take a little time. I'm sorry for her complications. Give her a big hug from me. You know how parents always say how it's terrible to watch your kids in pain...it's also terrible when the kid has to watch the parents pain too...so big hug to you too.

I'll be sending prayers.

Thank you so much Sonya! Yeah my mom is not supposed to bend either but she seems to be really sticking to that as she really doesn't want to have another surgery.

[you heal from the outside in. Tell here to hang in their and be supportive some days are good and some not so good. Moving around although painful will help the healing process and keep the stiffness down some and it helps prevent blood clots and pnemonia. If she is on pain meds they of course cause the dreaded constipation (again drink water) It took a good month where I felt half way decent. Looks like you will be cooking Thanksgiving this year...LOL
default_wink.png

Thanks again everyone for the comments & stories. I really do think it helps to relate this to my mom as she is pretty frustrated. The Dr only did the surgery because she tried PT and tried all 3 of the steroid shots too & no difference was made. The MRI showed the 2 disks clearly pressing on her spine and she couldn't walk for the last several mths without pain meds, otherwise her hip started hurting just walking the length maybe 2x of a 70' trailer and she had pain, tingling and numbness down her hip all the way into the ankle. She even said the last few weeks b4 surgery that it felt like there was a bone sticking up in back when she tried to sit or lay down, although the last MRI showed no difference.

I am glad the muscle spasms were mentioned because she is definitely having them and the constipation too, but she is SO scared of getting addicted to meds that she is like weaning herself off them. She's not eating lots but has increased her water intake the last couple days. They did do the surgery through her back, not the front. And she still has staples in which are supposed to be taken out I think the 11th when she sees her Dr again? She's a small little thing, only about 5'1" and maybe 110# soaking wet but she has never had any surgeries at all in her life so this is really the 1st time she has ever dealt with this in her life so I just keep hoping the weeks go faster. LOL

Thanks again though everyone for all the stories, encouragement and compassion!! You can't know how much it REALLY does help me & through me I can tell some real good encouraging stories to my mom too. I don't bug you guys much, even though I've been here a couple years but I lurk alot
default_smile.png
and so many stories are heartwarming and really encourage me too!! THANK YOU ALL!!

Latest posts

Back