Mock drunk driving prom accident at our school

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
My husband and I have 5 kids in our school district. Grades 3, 7. 8. 10, & 11. After Marty's beautiful son was lost to a drunk driver, his story has pulled at us and we wanted to find some way to get involved with the kids. My eldest son did a report at school about drunk driving, and he spoke of Michael and his family and what happened as he knew it. That just didn't seem like enough, even though it was a great effort on his part.

My husband is on our volunteer fire department and he has used that position to do something wonderful. Right this minute there is an inactment of a prom night drunk driving accident being played out for grades 7-12. My husband called many many people to get this set up and going for the kids. He's involved the fire department, an ambulance service, the town's police, the county coroner, an air evac helicopter unit, some of the school's "D.A.R.E." students, and a couple of other students.

The school's policeman (who is also a city cop) took the students into the auditorium and told them some stories, and statistics. Then the students will be lead out to the parking lot where two vehicles have been set up to look like an accident. There are 3 students in one car, (one of which is my son that did the report) and two students in the other car. One student will not make it, some will be severely injured, and the drunk driver will not be hurt, but will be arrested and taken away in a police car. One of the students will be so severe that the air evac team will show up in the hellicopter and load the student, and fly away with them.

It's going to be very realistic, having one mother show up at the scene and react accordingly. I watched my husband make and take so many calls this past month to help set this up. They've had several meetings with all who are involved. It is a great labor of love by many of our local parents, students, civil workers, health care workers, sisters, parents, brothers, and friends. I was going to be one of the parents on scene, but I just could not have managed to keep myself composed enough to do any good. I was going to go as a photographer, but again, I just couldn't bring myself to see it. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it. I know it's all an act, but things like that really get to me.

If this helps even one student, saves even one life, it is very worth the great efforts put forward by so many. Kudos to the school and all the men and women who put this together. I am so lucky to have such a great husband who has a passion in his heart to try to make a difference.

I have been working a little myself to try to make a difference in another way. It pales in compairison to the efforts of so many others to do this accident scene... but to me, it's something my heart is heavily involved in, as a mother of 5 children. I have gotten many reports by my kids that there is sexual activity going on right there IN the school. Students skip classes and meet up in the janitors closet, or the empty locker room, and they do things they really shouldn't be doing. I decided to take a step forward when my 15 year old daughter's boyfriend tried last week to talk her in to having sex with him there at school. She refused. Then he tried to get their friends to talk her into it. Again, she refused. Then he tried to pressure her in to it by shaming her though peer pressure by classmates and his friends. Again, she refused. I am SO very proud of my girl. I told her many times over how proud I was of her and that she did the right thing even though it hurt her, and he broke up with her, then proceded to have everyone calling her a wh**e, and a sl*t and many other horrible things.

The good thing about this is I keep an open communication between my kids and me. We talk about everything and anything. No shame is allowed, no embarassment is allowed. The only requirement is to speak honestly, and ask any questions that pop into your head. My daughter and I had just watched a movie about a month or so ago called "Mom at 16" and the movie not only held her attention, but it had her and me both crying like a baby at the end and she developed a passion to let her friends and classmates know the reality of teenage sex. I sometimes bump heads wtih the school principle, mostly because my second son is a bit of a fighter, and won't take and crap from anyone. So, I had my husband speak to the principle about what happened, and about the movie. He (the principle) googled the movie while my husband was on the phone with him and they are going to purchase it and show it to the students before school lets out for the summer.
default_aktion033.gif

Oh, and as far as the young man who humiliated my daughter, he was paid a very scarey visit by my daughter's older brother first thing the next morning. He didn't hurt him at all, but he did put him against the wall and give him a very loud very stern warning about any future contact with his sister. My kids may fuss with one another, but when someone has hurt or threatens to hurt one of their siblings, they tend to rise up together and make sure nothing happens. (which is why the principle and I butt heads sometimes.)

that is a great idea and one that packs a powerful impact. They did that here in my daughters high school a couple of years ago. Complete with parents who came in and reacted much to their surprise it was not acting in any way when they came upon the scene. They even went as far as having the kids help write obituaries about their friends and read them aloud during the assembly afterwards.

It was a great learning experience and very emotional for all.

Wow, that's a very powerful idea. I hope to heaven it gets through to even one child and keeps them from doing something stupid or letting their friends drive drunk. TAKE THE KEYS, kids!! You can save a life.

Kudos too to your daughter for her integrity and the courage to stand up and try to make a change even when it hurt her personally. She is also a hero and you can tell her I said so.
default_wub.png

Leia

They did this at my school one year, I think I was in grade 11 or 12. It was put on by our drama club and short of the helevac it was set up just like yours.... kids were NOT told ahead of time that the scene would happen though- we were called out to the lawn to witness the "event" then taken to the gym for the fire dept, police, etc to talk to us, as well as an AWESOME couple of anti-peer pressure skits from the drama club related to saying no- to driving drunk, to getting in the car with someone under the influence, to getting involved with dangerous driving practices (playing "chicken", racing, etc).

I forgot all about it until today, but I think more schools should put on something like this. My brothers school at one time used to put a wrecked car on the front lawn during grad/prom season and leave it there as a reminder...

As a person who in my younger, much dumber days was involved in a single car drunk driving accident (I was the one driving drunk) I think this is an OUTSTANDING idea. After my stupidity, I took pictures of my car and made a poster of it and displayed it at future get togethers of the group I was with that night. There was not another drunk driving ticket or accident after that night, I am proud to say. I applaud you, your son, and your hysband for doing this. I also applaud your daughter for having the courage to stick to her convictions - and to her brother for setting that young punk straight. Sounds like something my son would have done.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back