Missy's Foaling Thread --> UPDATE ---> WARNING ABOUT BROWN/BLOOD RED MUCOUS PLUGS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it sounds like she is just stringing you along and making you wait. These mare's like to keep us guessing. Hang in there, it won't be long.

Well here are some pictures from this morning. I have decided to keep her in her stall under camera for today because we are having several showers and thunderstorms rolling through today - I'm hoping that it will push her over the edge to go ahead and foal.

I tested her this morning and she is still at 6.8ph - stubborn girl. I did notice when I was checking her that her around her tailhead is like jello so her rear is very soft now. Her udder was firm and it was easy to express her premilk, as usual.

One thing that I did notice that wasn't there last night when I last checked on her is that on the inside of her tail and on her butt cheeks - theres something that wasn't there before that I don't know what it is. I have included two pictures - could this be her mucous plug? It was already dried and had made her tail a bit "crunchy" if you know what I mean. I'm assuming that while swishing her tail it ended up on her butt cheeks but I would like opinions please.

Enjoy the pictures - and hopefully someone will know what this stuff on her tail and butt is.

missy_050820121.jpg

missy_05082012.jpg

missy_050820122.jpg

missy_050820123.jpg

default_thumbup.gif
yep, mucus plug
default_thumbup.gif

I just went back out to give her some grain to tide her over until dinner and checked the inside of her vulva and it seems to be turning a darker pink/light red color. Tried lifting up her tail and it was VERY easy to do - no resistance at all.

So what do you guys think? Should we have a foal before Monday rolls around?

can you take a pic of her udder from behind when you have time
default_please.gif

Went out and snapped some pictures for you.

I also took pictures of her vulva as well. It is VERY easy to spread apart and very relaxed. I can lift her tail straight up all the way without resistance too.....Her vulva is a deep pink/reddish color I took two pics the darker one was taken first and the second one was taken second.

I must remind you that this mare never gets a true foaling udder, and always gets her milk in afterwards, and even then she doesn't have what I would consider a "full udder" but her babies have always been well fed and fat. Guess her theory is quality not quantity. What you can't see in the picture is that she is firm to the touch and her teats are full.

But here's some pictures for you anyways........I'm to the point of begging her to foal
default_pray.gif

missy_050820124.jpg

missy_050820125.jpg

missy_050820126.jpg

missy_050820127.jpg

Typically I would say that her udder still has a ways to go but since you say she does not foal with a typical full udder, than I would be watching her closely. her vulva certainly looks ready to me.

Agree with Anna and Sandy, I don't think you will be waiting for long!

What do others suggest it could be if not the mucus plug?

Well guys I went ahead and bedded her stall down with some straw. I tested her and she's testing a light 6.8ph so I am assuming that it could change in a short period of time. I also went ahead and braided, then wrapped her tail up.

I was feeling her and her whole bum is like jello and her anus/vulva is very relaxed and not to be rude, but......"puffy" looking? She's also very warm, but not sweating, under her mane and behind the elbows. She was very aggitated about me getting milk and the teats were very full. I'm hoping that tonights the night. I only have to work from 4:00pm to 7:30pm tomorrow so I won't have to be gone long even if she does hold out - and I have a mare-sitter for while I'm gone too.

Will get pics at feeding time.....here's to hoping she foals soon!
default_thumbup.gif

Any news? It sounds as though she is all systems go - hoping and praying for a safe foaling.
default_yes.gif

A puffy hooha is a very good sign as is all the others. I would expect a foal soon
default_thumbup.gif

Well we have some good news. Last night she was very restless and actually laid down,rolled and got back up 6 times before layin down to sleep. I actually went to the barn to check on her and she had some very labored breathing but what was strange was she was laying down and never got back up like she usually does when I come into the barn. I sat next to her and observed and she actually laid flat out and started dreaming with her ears and eyes twitching and running in her sleep lol.

But what I noticed was that while she was laying down her hooha was so relaxed that it was gaping open. I checked her over but I come to the conclusion that I may have interrupted her 1st stage labor.

This morning she tested ALMOST 6.4PH! I'm hoping the she gets on the roll here...one of her last two foals was born during the rain so with all of todays rain and thunderstorms hopefully that will push her over the edge!

I'm going today to purchase pool test strips as I have heard of people using them with straight mares milk and not diluting it.....how exactly does that work?

I purchased pool strips do I just do the same instructions that are on the bottle....dip the strip in the solution and immediately pull out then hold strip level for 15 seconds and read results? Thanks

Latest posts

Back