Missy **COLT** 5/5 , Joint ill - Keep him in your prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from a very successful show.
default_smile.png

Marker - been really up and down this weekend. We can no longer give him injections, not working for several reasons and have switched him to Amoxicillin along with his SMZ's. Yesterday, things were not looking good, and I was afraid Marker was not going to make it, but today he seems to have made dramatic improvement. Hopefully, things will continue in that direction.

I did call one of the local vet hospitals yesterday about taking him there. Talked to Dr Mayberry at Equine Medical Associates and he said they would put him on different antibiotics IV and flush the hock probably multiple times. Cost - $1500 to $2000. That's cost prohibitive for me and my regular vet, Dr Danielson, was able to get some Amoxicillin for Marker and we started it last night. The swelling is down today and Marker is running circles around his dam.

Please continue your prayers and keep him in your thoughts. I will keep you updated.

Thank-you for the update, I'm keeping him in my thoughts and my fingers are still crossed.

Feeling the pain of your roller coaster ride and hoping and praying that Marker keeps fighting and improving!!

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll try to take some new pictures. He's a cutie! Not only does he have a great color pattern, he has huge eyes. Love those!

Sure hope he makes it!

Still saying prayes for your little man, really hoping he pulls through.
default_pray.gif
default_yes.gif

Hopping and bucking around his stall this morning. I'll be turning him and his mom out as soon as the chance of rain is over and he gets his meds.

Sure hope he pulls through this!

Thanks for asking, Diane. Marker is continuing to improve! He's been off the Equioxx since Tuesday and has had minimal swelling. Last night there was no swelling detected at all.
default_smile.png
He will stay on antibiocs at least until the middle of next week. I'm really hopeful he will pull through this. Thanks everyone for your continuing prayers. They are working!

No swelling in his hock at all this morning.
default_smile.png
This is the first morning there hasn't been a little. It has been going down during the day the past few days. I only have enough Amoxicillin through tomorrow night, so I will call my vet first thing Tuesday morning and see what he wants to do.

Marker is getting friendly since he hasn't been getting stuck with needles anymore. He doesn't mind his oral antibiotics mixed with vanilla pudding!
default_smile.png

No swelling in his hock at all this morning.
default_smile.png
This is the first morning there hasn't been a little. It has been going down during the day the past few days. I only have enough Amoxicillin through tomorrow night, so I will call my vet first thing Tuesday morning and see what he wants to do.

Marker is getting friendly since he hasn't been getting stuck with needles anymore. He doesn't mind his oral antibiotics mixed with vanilla pudding!
default_smile.png
So glad to hear little Marker is doing so much better now! And what a good idea of mixing his oral meds with pudding! I had never thought of that! I have used syrup before, but I'm sure the pudding would syringe much better. Thanks for sharing that!

Thanks for the update. I conitnue to think about Marker and pray for his complete recovery. Very scary reading some of the responses on the main forum! And pudding is a great idea! Have to remember that. We usually use Stomach Soother or applesauce but it helps to get other ideas if those aren't on hand.

I really sympathize about the shots to the babies, as Bunny was supposed to get antibiotic shots twice a day when she got home from the hospital "just in case". It was her dam that had the thumps and Bunny went in and came out healthy but her fibrinogen level was a bit high. I discussed it with my vet and in her case (obviously very different in yours) we decided that the risks of damage from the shots were greater than the potential benefits, so we stopped. That was almost 3 weeks ago. Trying to give shots to a squirming baby and not hit the wrong place is pretty hard on everyone involved!

default_smile.png
that's wonderful news, well done you did a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a new picture of Marker from this evening. He looks like the picture of health and he is F-A-T! He was 3 weeks old yesterday.

We had a lot of issues from trying to give him multiple injections. I actually hit a vein and thought I killed him. Then, we never could inject after that wihout getting blood. He also developed a large hematoma at an injection site that Marker started chewing on and it leaked blood everywhere. I just decided we weren't going to be able to give him injections anymore and would have to come up with oral antibiotics for him. So far, so good.

Marker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back