Mini's with underbites/how often?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
In the driving forum, I asked about underbites and bits. Many said they have mini's with underbites, and that when their horses were young, they had them watched carefully, by a vet, when it came to their mouth/teeth. My question is, with Halo being a little over two, should I have her mouth looked at, once a year, or every 6 mons.? The vet I had, I honestly never saw, as I was at work, and he was the one going to the place where I boarded her. It was passed onto me, that she was very healthy and that she had a moderate underbite, and that most likely nothing would need to be done, until she hit around 5. I, of course, figured, every year, for her yearly shots and such, I would have her mouth looked at too, and go according to what was recommended. But, I am switching vets, due to one was highly recommended to me, and is very close to where I have Halo. I've put in a call, waiting for them to call me back, to find out what they recommend, but was curious on what you, with mini's and underbites have done, with yours?

I have a gelding that has a small overbite. My friend has a mother and daughter that both had pretty noticeable overbites. I never asked her what she did about it. I would recommend making sure you get regular floating and that they aren't having any chewing problems. The mare's daughter is a successful driving horse, so I don't think that will limit you. Just make sure you keep out of rated halter classes because they may ask to see the bite.

I had a Morgan cross gelding with a parrot mouth--when I got him he had serious hooks on his top front molars. These hooks, combined with a jointed snaffle and the very heavy hands of his previous rider had caused him major trauma, both to his mouth and then his mind. To ride him I had to have his teeth done twice a year. For mere maintenance once a year would have been enough--in that time he had no trouble eating, to use him in a bit--twice a year was absolutely necessary.

I would consult with your vet. I would think it would have to be a pretty dramatic underbite though for a 2 yr old to need a dentist 2x a year, or even at all really. Her teeth are brand new!

My 22 yr old full sized former abuse case paint that the vet says has the worst/weirdest mouth he's ever seen is 2x a year. When she was younger (think, <18) she was a once a year-er. My mini is 7 and has never had a need for a dentist. Some horses wear well naturally. Others don't.

Be very careful with equine dentists. Like many chiropractors, few travel to your farm, then say "nope, she doesn't need it, you're good for quite awhile" and will do work unecessarily that runs a very real chance of screwing up your horse, however, when truly needed they are awesome. I stick with vet's for all my equine health needs, unless the refer me to a chiro/dentist/specialty farrier/whatever.

Some signs a horse needs a dentist are: dropping grain (not just a pellet or two, think, chewing along and having a substantial amount fall out of there mouth), obsessive chewing on everything but not like cribbing (they will push whatever they are chewing on deep in their mouth, like they plan on swallowing but won't, my mare LOVES leather when she gets ulcers), 'packing' their cheeks (holding onto hay or anything else, stuffed way up in there, kind of like a person uses chew tobacco), and in extreme cases they won't eat at all.

Ok, thank you. I will see what this vet says. She's doing fine, not dropping anything, and is keeping good weight. I just read, in a magazine that young horses should have their teeth looked at every 6 mons. so I wanted to ask what the norm is, as I was thinking once a year, unless something came up. Her bite isnt' super bad at all. You can't see her teeth 99% of the time, unless she moves her mouth a certain way.

My most awesome equine dentist does recommend having them looked at at least yearly while they are young and new teeth are coming in, especially with the minis, to check for retained caps and sharp points they might cause. She comes here once a year, and only floats those that need it; which I have a couple that need it every year, and others only every other year to few years.

Misty shed hers on her own, but here are some of her caps I found in her paddock or feed dish (she was in the "diet" paddock alone, so I know they are hers):

Misty - tooth caps.jpg

Here are a couple problem teeth that my senior stallion had; one is a ramp and the other a slab fractured tooth (the dentist fixed him up and he's been fat and sassy and able to eat whatever he wants ever since):

Bad teeth removed summer 2011.jpg

I will have to keep my eye out for caps, in her paddock. Kind of like saving your children's baby teeth.
default_smile.png
Thank you for sending the pictures through.

I have a little plastic jar full of mini teeth I've collected in the corrals; most I don't have a clue which mini they belong to, but a few I know (or did, but now its been a few years, and might have forgotten which are which).

Halo is the only one in her paddock, and I would guess if I find one, it would most likely be her's. There have been big horses in there though, but I haven't seen any from before yet. I know my own kids, will think I'm nuts, if I keep them, if I find any. LOL

I think I found one of Misty's in her water tub and two in her feed dish and the fourth just in the dirt, so you might get lucky and find a couple in her feed dish or water tub.

Unless your Vet is a qualified dentist he is not really qualified to say she is OK, that is my feeling on the matter. Would you take your child to the doctor if they had an infected tooth? Unlikely, nor would you take your child to a doctor to have braces fitted to the teeth. Same with feet, in fact most Vet's will recommend a farrier for a foot problem, rather than attempt to par themselves. If she is rising three and already has a problem then. IMO. she needs a dentist (a qualified one) and she needs to have her teeth floated as there is a good chance that, due to the misaligned teeth, others at the back are aligning incorrectly. There is also the chance that the misalignment at the front is actually caused by misaligning teeth at the back. I think the comment about dentist is a little out of line- the vet charges for callout and consultation, why should the dentist not also do so? My dentist is now also my Vet as she is qualified, and yes, she will quite happily tell me ther is nothing to be done, and yes, I had my rising three colt floated when I took him to be licensed- he just had a quick rasp as he had some sharp teeth (even though they were still new) that were cutting his cheeks as he ate. It took a moment and the problem was solved and I actually wasn't charged, either. They are nto all just out to make money, although they are all out to make a living, fairs fair! I would make an appointment with a dentist, if only for your peace of mind, at a time when you can be there, so you can be talked through it. The chances are you are worrying unnecessarily and it will all come right when her grown up teeth comer through but there is also the chance that treatment now will correct the problem.

I've been told, that this vet, that I am trying to switch to, is good with their dentals. That is one reason, I wanted to switch too. I'm not sure our area really has Equine Dentists, as in that is their specialty. But if needed, I will see about one. I want this vet to see her first, and then we can go from there. But I do agree with your thoughts, Jane. The underbite, may not even cause any issue at all, ever for her, but I do want her looked at to make sure, and I am praying, I can make the appointment when I can be there. I don't work Monday's, and I am usually off by 1 p.m. the rest of the week. The farrier, he usually has to do it when I'm not there, but the BO is. But the vet, I really want to be there. If I know enough in advance, I could possibly take off the day, but I don't get paid, if I do that either. Work for a private school...no real sick days or personal time days either. Anyway, hope he calls me back today, when I can actually talk to him. If he calls when I am at work, then I can't.

None of my horses have under/overbites. I have them floated once every 12-18 months. I just had them done last month and it had been 18 months. My equine dentist said no one had any real sharp points and only one had some minor ramping. He said that's pretty good for 18 months.

We had a youngster with a slight underbite - noticed it almost as soon as her teeth started coming in. The part of her front teeth that had no opposing surface continued to grow and created almost a wall. Had her floated by a qualified equine dentist several times and now as a long yearling, her bite is maybe an eighth of an inch off (well within tolerance). We'll continue to ensure she has regular floating. Dentist emphasized to let her graze and to keep her feed on a ground level to ensure a normal eating stance, which apparently - along with the floats - can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, I wish I could let Halo graze. There is no turn out, at this place I board. But my husband and I do all the feeding, of her, so her feed dish is on the ground, and so is her hay, and we always spread it out, so she has to move around in order to eat. We don't just leave it in a clump. I was hoping to hear from that vet today, but I didn't. I will give him a call on Monday, when I don't have to work and can call at a better time.

Latest posts

Back